Electric window fell - would you say just the clip broke?

Orchideous

Hi all

Hoping for some advise.

Yesterday when i went to lower my driver side window, it lowered slightly and then fell all the way down making this horrible glass/grinding noise until the motor stopped. Motor still seems to be trying when the button was pressed (and grinding) - I had to secure the car so I yanked the window back up whilst my girlfriend pressed the button to raise it, it's now help up by hooks on bungee cords.

Before yanking the window up, this little fella (circled red) was dangling within the door and not attached to anything, so I assume the culprit would be a broken clip perhaps? or even it's just popped out? I assume I don't need to go as far as replacing the whole regulator if the motor is still working, just hoping someone could shed some light on this, if you've come across this.

Unfortunately the door carrier is held on by rivets and I'm not really willing to try and drill them out incase I can't complete job and make it a mess for a real mechanic, so hoping if someone could help me with diagnosis, I could get an accurate quote for repair rather than leaving myself at the mercy of the mechs.

Much appreciated.

Orch

Window.png

48 minutes ago, sepulchrave said:

Nope, the regulator has exploded, do a search, it's been covered a thousand times before with step-by-step instructions.

Hi, thank you for replying.

I've spoken with a mechanic friend who's happy to do a replacement regulator, he's suggested I order a regulator repair kit - and it should come with bolts so that the carrier does not need to be riveted back on when assembling the door - I've looked on ebay but I can't see any of the repair kits include this... do you or anybody know any sources to obtain these?

cheers

3 hours ago, Orchideous said:

Hi, thank you for replying.

I've spoken with a mechanic friend who's happy to do a replacement regulator, he's suggested I order a regulator repair kit - and it should come with bolts so that the carrier does not need to be riveted back on when assembling the door - I've looked on ebay but I can't see any of the repair kits include this... do you or anybody know any sources to obtain these?

cheers

That's not right. The door has non-threaded holes to accept pop rivets, so there's no way bolts would work.

You need the rivets and a lazy tong riveter to fit them. A normal pop rivet gun is no use.

The rivets for the window regulator are part number N90765701 (4.8mm).

The rivets for the door carrier are part number N91078801 (6.4mm). 10 rivets in each front door.

You can also buy a new carrier with regulator already fitted but you would have to swap your door speaker onto it by drilling four rivets out (same rivets as regulator).

Example...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-FABIA-MK1-1999-2007-FRONT-ELECTRIC-WINDOW-REGULATOR-RIGHT-DRIVER-SIDE/222126985237?fits=Car+Make%3ASkoda|Model%3AFabia&hash=item33b7ccd015:g:DtEAAOSwlfxXFlzY

Edited by TMB

1 hour ago, TMB said:

That's not right. The door has non-threaded holes to accept pop rivets, so there's no way bolts would work.

You need the rivets and a lazy tong riveter to fit them. A normal pop rivet gun is no use.

The rivets for the window regulator are part number N90765701 (4.8mm).

The rivets for the door carrier are part number N91078801 (6.4mm). 10 rivets in each front door.

You can also buy a new carrier with regulator already fitted but you would have to swap your door speaker onto it by drilling four rivets out (same rivets as regulator).

Example...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-FABIA-MK1-1999-2007-FRONT-ELECTRIC-WINDOW-REGULATOR-RIGHT-DRIVER-SIDE/222126985237?fits=Car+Make%3ASkoda|Model%3AFabia&hash=item33b7ccd015:g:DtEAAOSwlfxXFlzY

Ah, you're correct, he was under the impression the carrier was bolted to the door - I've said it's riveted but he's confident it won't be an issue. I'll pass on the above information before taking it to him as I'm sure it'll make it easier.

Thanks so much for the information.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TMB said:

It's only bolted to the door on earlier models  - up to about 2003.

& one of the best reasons for having an early model....VAG threw the kitchen sink at them to get the brand reputation going....

Anyway to the OP here is the EKTA drawing for a 2004 Fabia front door...

https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/fabia/fab/2004-225/8/837-837060/

• Like 1

Could always drill the rivets out of the panel and replace them with expanding nuts. There's several around from simple rubber ones to those that have a mild steel flange that when tightened the flange flares out and locks into the hole. Just like you'd get on machine guards. 

Edited by TripleMcB

OK....

It is likely that one of the plastic window clips has failed. The failure (the clip shatters into two pieces) releases all tension in the window cables so they flop all over the place. Repair parts can be the plastic clips only, a new set of cables, pulleys and springs or a complete door carrier with window mechanism attached. Prices are approx, £6.50, £12, £35-£40 respectively.

Piece of mind says get the entire carrier as it's not only the window clips that may be broken or degraded. If you're getting a garage to do the job it's also the cleanest option as there's little else to figure.

J.

45 minutes ago, vindaloo said:

Piece of mind says get the entire carrier as it's not only the window clips that may be broken or degraded. If you're getting a garage to do the job it's also the cleanest option as there's little else to figure.

...except all the clips and bits of the door card and fittings that the idiot garage will break getting to the regulator of course.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sepulchrave said:

...except all the clips and bits of the door card and fittings that the idiot garage will break getting to the regulator of course.

Yes but let's give them the least chance to **** up something else or charge twice the time whilst wrestling with cables, springs and clips.

@Orchideous Ignore if you've had the job done already but.........I'd recommend getting the garage to put some 'Plumbers Gold' on the door before fixing the door carrier, otherwise there's a good chance it will leak in the short term and then you will have to drill the rivets out again!

Here's my account of doing this job in the summer. :

On 26/11/2017 at 16:04, sepulchrave said:

Find a garage who knows what they are doing with these vag type regulators as otherwise they will mess them up. Both mine were replaced before I bought the car and you wouldn't believe the state they were in once I took them apart to repair a speaker.

• 1 year later...

No, they just have a foam type seal around them as they came from the factory. It probably not the actual carrier that's rattling but something attached to it.