Screen wash low error. Wont go off..

Around 2 weeks ago the low level washer fluid alert came on which I thought was odd as I had only topped it up not so long back so I just continued to use as as normal thinking I will just top it up when its drained...

With the weather turning decided to top it up yesterday and it only took around a litre of fluid..

After multiple drives.. Its still on...

Anyone else had this issue.. 

Cars booked in for suspension work in a couple of weeks so will get then to look 

I had the washer warning coming on a lot when I first got the car. Turned out that one of the headlight washers was cracked and fluid was leaking out, so the warning was genuine. But in the mean time I had a look at the sensor for the reservoir which is behind the front right wheel arch. Not particularly difficult to get to (wheel off + a few screws) so it you are bored you could have a look for anything obvious such as dodgy connector. Or just wait for the garage to look at it.

Since the sensor isnt any type of float, rather it is some probes that measure presumably fluid resistance or something, I have heard that some weird types of washer fluid can upset it. Cant remember what though, and I think it was on an American website.

Edit: Of course I'm talking about the location of the sensor on my car. Yours could well be different.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Thanks 1

If you have used Rain-X screen wash then I believe that the sensors will need to be replaced.  I've no memory of cleaning them being a fix in the posts I read.  It is alleged that the Rain-X fluid coats the sensors and the problem is how to remove a water repellant coating.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

The reservoir and filling pathway is very convoluted. If you pour the liquid in fast I think it can appear full when in fact it’s nowhere near.

yeah noticed that, though from empty it still takes 4 litres or so and then the light was still staying on

Only had my Superb about 10-days, and the screenwash alarm came on yesterday, which surprised me as I've not really used it much.

I'm going to fill it up today, and see what happens.

Interesting comment about the RainX though. I've bought 'Prestone' concentrate screenwash, but not sure if it contains RainX, will check.