Advice needed on suitable car for my circumstances.

I was driving a Mk1 1.8t petrol 4x4 estate. It is currently in the garage as I no longer have time to work on the car myself. In many ways it is about right for what I use it for except now I have significantly upped my mileage as after work and weekends I daily visit and care for my dear old mum who needs hours of physio.
I am wondering if a Mk2 diesel would be more suitable but although I now do 450 miles a week generally it is on slow country roads where my average speed is lucky to reach 40mph and there are only a few stretches of a mile or two where I can get the car up to 60mph (tourists and farmers permitting). Journeys are between 23 and 35 miles long.
I am in Pembrokeshire.
Roads are about 1/3  single track and  1/3 B roads  with hills and blind bends  and 1/3 busy A roads. Road conditions are poor with lots of standing water  and often covered in a film of mud where the farmers pull from the fields. Road surfaces predominantly chippings rolled into tar.
Although on the back roads the council are good at keeping the ditches clear several times a year requires major detours due to local flooding and sometimes going through deeper water that I would really like.
I many ways the car I have now is about right. Its just about big enough to carry what I want/need. Its small enough for the back roads and the 4x4 is helpful on the slippery surfaces. I would like some more road clearance.
However as its getting on and I cant afford to be without a car and only 30mpg so  I am looking to get something to replace it.
Budget is £10k max. Lease etc are not sensible as it would be impossible to keep the car in good condition.
I am considering the 1.9pd 4x4 estate. Well within budget if I can find one.
The 2.0  PD scout looks to be out because of likely DPF problems on my journey type.
If I could find an affordable CR Scout would I have similar problems with DPF ?
Any advice appreciated. Also any other suggestions on sensible vehicle to cover my circumstances. (affordable Hybrid with decent ground clearance etc), vans 4x4s etc also welcome.
Thank you
Mark

There is no 1.9pd scout only 2.0 140 and they all have dpf. The 1.9 would be the old 105bhp PD 4x4 and did not have dpf. Not many around for sale.

I just came back from Kia to have a look at there hybrid petrol/electric niro. Salesman suggested lease for 3 years everything included including maintanance ,tyre , services etc and 28k per year £1000 deposit and monthly £370. When I said concerned about a bill for final condition of car he said bring the car in 3 weeks before end and get it assessed and any dents,scratches,scuffed alloys (pretty much guaranteed driving round here for 3 years) get it done one my insurance?? Doesn't sound right to me! Something like this would probably save me £2000 every year over running my existing Octavia.

I have a 2010 Octy Scout PD TDi (approaching 95k). During the first 3 years of its life, my commute was 50 miles each way M8, M74 and about 2 miles of A roads. 

For the last 4 four years, my daily commute is now 2.5/3 miles each way split 50:50 between 30 & 40mph zones. About once a week week I have a long run of about 20 miles. I average about 40-42mpg, but have been as low as 35mpg.

I suffered a leaking EGR Cooler last year which was replaced under an extended warranty. 

I've had a couple of springs replaced, along with the front droplinks. Last month  had all brake pads and discs replaced along with both OS brake calipers as they had seized-no obvious reason found  why this has happened. 

On 10/12/2017 at 15:25, AwaoffSki said:

Re the KIa Niro and the 28,000 miles a year.

Did the salesperson put that offer in writing or print it out for 84,000 miles covered in 3 years?

He looked it up on his computer and wrote it on his business card. I haven,t got as far as test driving the Niro. Due to go in again and maybe look at a Sportage.

I expect after 3 years the lease car would subject to some chargeable damage due to nature of roads. Things I would not mend if I owned the car (scuffs,scratches,minor dings) so rather apprehensive of lease deals. If I could find something I liked and fitted the purpose perhaps a PCP would be better and  buy the vehicle at the end. Radio 4 Money program say PCP will get more expensive so to get car delivered by the end of the year.

Fin69

Thank you for real world examples.

Any problems with DPF with the short journeys?

Seems lke DPF removal is not so widely advertised on the internet and has become morally unacceptable as well as illegal.

As it seems possible to check soot and ash levels through VCDS (which I have ) and the Torque phone app via bluetooth perhaps just keeping an eye on things and go and drive for a regen if necessary. Looks like the later CR can be forced to regen when stationary.

Not sure about CR Scouts and if they are subject to the VAG software 'fix' . I would want to know if the car had had it done . Maybe VCDS gives enough information or perhaps main dealers could tell me.

M

On 10/12/2017 at 14:42, MarkyD said:

There is no 1.9pd scout only 2.0 140 and they all have dpf. The 1.9 would be the old 105bhp PD 4x4 and did not have dpf. Not many around for sale.

I just came back from Kia to have a look at there hybrid petrol/electric niro. Salesman suggested lease for 3 years everything included including maintanance ,tyre , services etc and 28k per year £1000 deposit and monthly £370. When I said concerned about a bill for final condition of car he said bring the car in 3 weeks before end and get it assessed and any dents,scratches,scuffed alloys (pretty much guaranteed driving round here for 3 years) get it done one my insurance?? Doesn't sound right to me! Something like this would probably save me £2000 every year over running my existing Octavia.

Putting aside the fact I don't think any claim you made would be successful if it was the loss of no claims or loading of the policy would probably cost more over time than just stumping up for any damage  surely ?

I have driven a Niro,  and liked the petrol engine, the hybrid and the autobox when driven as i wanted, it is no slug, you can use the box as you like.

But it is no soft roader though, and not anything like an Octavia Scout.

A Dacia Duster is a good cheap lease or purchase and has AWD that does the job as long as you get a AWD one.

There is a thread on the Kia Niro in the General Car Chat section. Or maybe it is a Hybrid thread.