Andy230's Octy II VRS

Hi if I may ask how did you go about removing the original mirror and glue behind it? I have the RLS retrofitted to mine but I left the original rear view mirror on. would love the auto dimming mirror :) 

14 hours ago, singh946 said:

Hi if I may ask how did you go about removing the original mirror and glue behind it? I have the RLS retrofitted to mine but I left the original rear view mirror on. would love the auto dimming mirror :) 

If you're right handed it's probably easier to get in on passenger side and grab the mirror by the base closest to the glass (it has grooves either side) turn it clockwise without pulling it towards you or pushing it. It does require medium force and will come off.

Once off there'll be a metal fixing plate left. I have a heat gun for my shrink wrap because a lighter is too fiddly. Warm up the mount and it'll come off. Be patient with it and make sure heat is even and you've covered centre console just it case it drops before you're ready to catch it. 

When it either falls off or you are able to move it off the glue might be left or come with it. If it's still on, warm it a bit and use a flat filing knife and with a little bit off pressure at the edge it'll just slide off as a whole piece. 

• Like 1

When you want to remove the spot take your time and start off 800 grit and work to 1500. You can start lower and be faster but you'll need to change up quickly as soon as you start breaking through. If you have covers for the light sensor like mine you'll have to go quite far up into the little dots. Make sure you stay in the wiper swept area. It's very tight. 

• Like 1

On 13/12/2017 at 21:18, Andy230 said:

Installed LED footwell lights front and back

IMAG0203.jpg

How did yout manage this display? Mine only shows lymph in lower part of maxidot.

Thanks

S!NGH

Edited by KSINGH
Sorry, it's not foot well light I wanted to ask about.

28 minutes ago, KSINGH said:

How did yout manage this display? Mine only shows lymph in lower part of maxidot.

Thanks

S!NGH

It's a 2 step process. First you need to set the country to Australia. Then change settings in maxidot.

To change the country go to 17- Instruments and click on "Coding - 07"
Then click on "Long Coding Helper"
Finally under Bit 4 select "70 Country: Australia (AUS)". Once you have made the changes with VCDS you then need to go into the maxi-dot menu:
SETTINGS➡️Units➡️Consu/distance change this back to mpg (GB), mi (as it defaults to 1/100km, km),
then
SETTINGS➡️MFD data and make sure the box for "Digit.speed" is ticked
You can also remove the KPH display at the bottom and replace it with the outside temperature:
SETTINGS➡️untick the "ALT.speed dis." box (this will remove the KPH speed and replace it with the outside temp display) 

Did this the other day before updating the maps on Amundsen. I wanted a faster charge solution and was tired of wires tangling near the handbrake. Also it's been quite handy as phone sits in landscape when it's open. Just experimenting to see what's the best flat folding phone mount so that everything stays in the top box. Will update when I get a suitable solution

IMAG0208.jpg

IMAG0026.jpg

IMAG0025.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@dilksie

I was lucky enough to see one on eBay. I went for a scirocco mirror. There were quite a few of them at the time. Golf ones are rare and usually black/grey but they can be painted. It's a pain especially to open them up but possible with patience. 

Scirocco mirror is smaller but you don't loose much area. You get used to it pretty fast 

On 13/12/2017 at 21:16, Andy230 said:

My first retrofit

Love the mods man, where did you get the seat bases from? Did you buy heated seats on eBay and strip them down?

@jmattley Thanks. It's only been possible because others have done this before I have. I got the heating elements and wiring loom from  http://www.skodateile.cz and the climatronic from eBay. Skodateile will make sure you get the right elements for the seats. Different ones for leather and cloth. Stripping down and reassembly is the bit that takes the longest. Once one seat is done the other is a doddle. 

Excellent achievement my friend :) Looks like I will need to get this installed in mine now :P Can you confirm the part numbers for me please? I looked up fleebay lol and can only find non HBA Scirocco mirrors :( Also does it go on the original hook?

Edited by singh946

7 hours ago, singh946 said:

Excellent achievement my friend :) Looks like I will need to get this installed in mine now :P Can you confirm the part numbers for me please? I looked up fleebay lol and can only find non HBA Scirocco mirrors :( Also does it go on the original hook?

It's part number is 5K0 857 511 B FLA that's the golf one the scirocco one is a 1K8 857 511 B FLA look for a camera in the base

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I bought one off AliExpress. It was this one http://s.aliexpress.com/nmMzMRFv? If you install the app you get more money off and shipping was fast around 10 days.

It's pretty good. Night vision works well and I'm not so daunted about driving at night with blacked out windows (Standard on the car).

It's a pain to get the wiring through but I have some tips. Patience is a must! 

When I fitted mine I used a fused relay and I got some interference from the power so I used a rectifier.