Full sized spare

So I've not picked mine up yet but I know it's only got the can of gunk, so first addition is going to be a spare in the boot, is it possible to carry a full size wheel in the recess or will it only take a space saver?

And is there somewhere recommended to buy the jack/brace kit?

It's the vrs estate

Edited by the_r_sole

Just been through the same predicament as you. 

Picked mine up last weekend and only the slime and compressor.

I trawled through the various threads on here, gleaning as much info as possible.

A full sized alloy will fit, but will stand proud in the boot by around a cm (no big deal)

A second hand Gemini comes in from £150-200 with tyre... so not cheap.

You can get a new one for £220 if you search.

The proper tool kit, does fit inside the wheel with some doctoring (sawing the extensions of polystyrene off) and can be had for £40-60 from a dealer (although interestingly my dealer said they don’t do one for the VRS!)

However, I bought an 18” brand new space saver and used toolkit for £60 after placing a wanted ad on a Facebook site.

I then was offered a nearly new space saver for £40 on a gumtree advert, but I’d already got the one at £60.

I could message you the number of the one at £40 if you were interested, or maybe you want the full alloy.

Either way, ditch the gunk and get a spare, it’s the first thing I have done in my week of ownership :thumbup: 

Edited by Damo
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

It's the vrs estate

Is that petrol or diesel? If diesel, does it have the larger 340mm brakes or the smaller 312mm brakes (front)? It makes a difference.

The options are

1.Full size vRS alloy (lifts boot floor about 10-15mm depending on the tyre fitted)

2. Standard vRS ’space saver’ steel fitted with a 125 ‘skinny’ tyre

3. Aftermarket or second hand 17” steel or alloy 6.5” wide with a 205 tyre (fits below boot floor) has to be 17” to fit over brakes.

If you have the smaller front brakes you could also use

1. Standard Octavia 16” steel  spare which is fitted with a 205 tyre. (Called a space saver but it is a full size wheel fitted to other models)

2. Any suitable 16’ steel or alloy same size as above.

The jack kits are made for the ‘standard’ wheels and sometimes need a bit of shaping to fit anything else. Just shaving polystyrene.

The spare is a bit of a personal preference, some like to keep it standard OEM, some like a 5th full alloy to swap around, some don’t like skinny space savers but don’t like the floor lifted either. Some want the ability to drive distance with no speed restriction on the spare.

Work out what brakes you have and what you want it to do then look at the options. Plenty of discussion on here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, flybynite said:

Is that petrol or diesel? If diesel, does it have the larger 340mm brakes or the smaller 312mm brakes (front)? It makes a difference.

The options are

1.Full size vRS alloy (lifts boot floor about 10-15mm depending on the tyre fitted)

2. Standard vRS ’space saver’ steel fitted with a 125 ‘skinny’ tyre

3. Aftermarket or second hand 17” steel or alloy 6.5” wide with a 205 tyre (fits below boot floor) has to be 17” to fit over brakes.

If you have the smaller front brakes you could also use

1. Standard Octavia 16” steel  spare which is fitted with a 205 tyre. (Called a space saver but it is a full size wheel fitted to other models)

2. Any suitable 16’ steel or alloy same size as above.

The jack kits are made for the ‘standard’ wheels and sometimes need a bit of shaping to fit anything else. Just shaving polystyrene.

The spare is a bit of a personal preference, some like to keep it standard OEM, some like a 5th full alloy to swap around, some don’t like skinny space savers but don’t like the floor lifted either. Some want the ability to drive distance with no speed restriction on the spare.

Work out what brakes you have and what you want it to do then look at the options. Plenty of discussion on here.

Brilliant, thanks for that detailed reply, it's the petrol engine I've got, best option would obviously be the full alloy but I'd take a space saver as a get me home, the gunk has got to be the worst idea I've seen! 

I guess it's for people who have never had a flat... 

I'm going to put a full waterproof liner in the boot so no one would notice if it was lifted a bit, but I guess I'll probably go for a space saver if there's a suitable one that fits neatly.

15 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

but I guess I'll probably go for a space saver

Over the big brakes a 6.5 x 17 steel from one of the tyre web sites with a standard 205 tyre is a fairly cheap option. Fits perfectly and most jack kits can be made to fit inside. Then at least you have a ‘proper, tyre.

Just my opinion of course :)

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, flybynite said:

Over the big brakes a 6.5 x 17 steel from one of the tyre web sites with a standard 205 tyre is a fairly cheap option. Fits perfectly and most jack kits can be made to fit inside. Then at least you have a ‘proper, tyre.

Just my opinion of course :)

That sounds good actually, hate driving on the paper plates!

mine has steel wheel  and full tool kit in its case. Good job to as first long trip out the biggest screw you ever seen jumped under my offside front wheel on M6 , Nice !

The tyre is standard conti 5, 205 55 16 on a 16x 6,5 with a 46 mm offset.  fits with room to spare even with thick sound damping.

6 hours ago, prichards1234 said:

mine has steel wheel  and full tool kit in its case. Good job to as first long trip out the biggest screw you ever seen jumped under my offside front wheel on M6 , Nice !

The tyre is standard conti 5, 205 55 16 on a 16x 6,5 with a 46 mm offset.  fits with room to spare even with thick sound damping.

Yes but your answer is not relevant to the OP as your spare won't fit over his bigger disks.

flybynite's advice is the one to follow.

I've had five nail/screw punctures in 3 years and 40k km so a spare is absolutely essential. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

Anyone able to advise on suitability of this one? Not sure about the different tyre sizes

Cheers

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F391464979053

Can't say for sure as it does not list the wheel width and offset. It lists it as compatible with the 2.0tsi and advertises 'money back' so nothing to lose really.

225/45 is the standard tyre size for a 17" (non- Scout) so will be compatible with 225/40/18 and 225/35/19 vRS sizes

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

What is the offset required? I'll ping them a message to confirm the details before ordering

Standard official sizes are

7.5x17 et51

6x17 et45 and et48

I have a 6.5x17 et38 (Alcar KFZ 9021) that fits over the larger brakes too with a 205/50/17

If it is any different to that you could try willtheyfit to see what something else would look like 

• Thanks 1

This might be a daft question but why are so many people buying a new car but not including a spare wheel - talk about spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar.

Just now, YMe said:

This might be a daft question but why are so many people buying a new car but not including a spare wheel - talk about spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar.

Exactly, it's mental! Surely there isn't a huge cost saving with a can of gunk and a compressor over a spare wheel and jack

the saga continues - the ebay guy doesn't reckon the one I posted would clear the brakes as he thinks I've got the bigger front brakes?

Is there a way to check/measure? I can barely get a finger between the wheel and caliper right enough so not convinced a steel wheel an inch smaller will work...

Maybe I'll keep my eyes on ebay for a spare gemini and live with a slight lift on the floor - sure the dog wont mind!

27 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

the saga continues - the ebay guy doesn't reckon the one I posted would clear the brakes as he thinks I've got the bigger front brakes?

Is there a way to check/measure? I can barely get a finger between the wheel and caliper right enough so not convinced a steel wheel an inch smaller will work...

Maybe I'll keep my eyes on ebay for a spare gemini and live with a slight lift on the floor - sure the dog wont mind!

The steel I linked to above does fit over the bigger brakes, I have tested it over mine, with a 205 tyre on (same as the standard non-vRS spare) it also fits under the floor with no lift. A standard non-vRS jack kit will fit in the void with a little bit of shaving of the foam here and there.

It is 6.5x17 et38 which sticks out the about the same as the standard 7.5x18 et51 Gemini wheels. Get any old 205/50/17 tyre and find a jack kit on ebay. You could probably do it for less than that guy was advertising.

A spare gemini would give you a bit of flex if you bent a rim, but above is what I used.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, flybynite said:

The steel I linked to above does fit over the bigger brakes, I have tested it over mine, with a 205 tyre on (same as the standard non-vRS spare) it also fits under the floor with no lift. A standard non-vRS jack kit will fit in the void with a little bit of shaving of the foam here and there.

It is 6.5x17 et38 which sticks out the about the same as the standard 7.5x18 et51 Gemini wheels. Get any old 205/50/17 tyre and find a jack kit on ebay. You could probably do it for less than that guy was advertising.

A spare gemini would give you a bit of flex if you bent a rim, but above is what I used.

After seeing the  price of the Geminis.... I think I'll give this a go, thanks for your help

5 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

Sorry to keep pestering you... The willitfit link shows a 205/55 tyre as a better fit, does it need the 50 to fit in the boot space?

Cheers

The 205/50/17 is the standard recommended size listed by Skoda, as is the 225/40/18 that should be on your vRS Gemini (I'm assuming you are not talking about a Scout which is different)

When I plug the details into the WillTheyFit website it comes out as a match for rolling radius of 2mm (speedo error 0.06%)

Done with a 55 profile tyre it comes out with a radius difference of about 10mm and 3% speedo error.

What values were you plugging in?

5 minutes ago, flybynite said:

The 205/50/17 is the standard recommended size listed by Skoda, as is the 225/40/18 that should be on your vRS Gemini (I'm assuming you are not talking about a Scout which is different)

When I plug the details into the WillTheyFit website it comes out as a match for rolling radius of 2mm (speedo error 0.06%)

Done with a 55 profile tyre it comes out with a radius difference of about 10mm and 3% speedo error.

What values were you plugging in?

The wrong ones! Apparently I'm an absolute moron!

Cheers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...