MK2 FL VRS fitting reverse camera

Jtheg

Im fiiting a new android head unit to my 2011 vrs and have purchased the camera that fits in the boot open button position.

Just wondered whats the best place to get the 12v supply from?  Ive read it can be got from the wiper supply.  Can i get it from the number plates light if I can code them to stay on all the time?

thanks.

It's really not that hard to run a cable from the front to back of an Octavia.

You could run it at the same time as the video cable back to the headunit, if you come along the drivers side then you'll be coming past the fusebox anyway.

Anyway, don't use the number plate lighting. That's got bulb monitoring active so could cause interference and possibly bulb out warnings. The rear wiper is definitely a better idea from those two options.

23 minutes ago, langers2k said:

It's really not that hard to run a cable from the front to back of an Octavia.

You could run it at the same time as the video cable back to the headunit, if you come along the drivers side then you'll be coming past the fusebox anyway.

Anyway, don't use the number plate lighting. That's got bulb monitoring active so could cause interference and possibly bulb out warnings. The rear wiper is definitely a better idea from those two options.

It's a wireless kit so only need 12v and negative as long I don't get interference on the 2.4ghz I won't be running an RCA cable.  

1 minute ago, singh946 said:

I tapped into the wiper motor +12V  power supply. And for extra safety done it with inline fuse. Installed a year ago and still working 100% fine with no issue. 

Can you remember the wire colour?

7 minutes ago, Jtheg said:

Can you remember the wire colour?

Unfortunately no man :( I think it is red/black strip wire and black for the earth. But it has been a while since I did it so can be wrong. Also use a multi-meter which help you identify the wire quickly. Its a great tool and has helped me alot on retrofit DIYs :D

4 minutes ago, singh946 said:

Unfortunately no man :( I think it is red/black strip wire and black for the earth. But it has been a while since I did it so can be wrong. Also use a multi-meter which help you identify the wire quickly. Its a great tool and has helped me alot on retrofit DIYs :D

Got a meter so should be ok thanks mate.

I tried the taking power from the reversing lights first, however this gave interference on the screen when the engine was running. From a previous thread it was explained that the interference is due to the canbus. So it was advised to use the interior boot lights for power and a earth that doesn't go through the Canbus so as not to get any interference when the engine is running. I've had no problems since wiring it like that. 

Edited by Bellarous

20 minutes ago, Bellarous said:

I tried the taking power from the reversing lights first, however this gave interference on the screen when the engine was running. From a previous thread it was explained that the interference is due to the canbus. So it was advised to use the interior boot lights for power and a earth that doesn't go through the Canbus so as not to get any interference when the engine is running. I've had no problems since wiring it like that. 

Wont it only work when the boot is open lol

7 hours ago, Bellarous said:
4 hours ago, craigandrew said:

I have a camera fitted in to the boot opener .you can get them with rca plugs .one wire go’s to reverse light. One to earth and the 3rd to reverse trigger on your head unit.

hope that makes seance,

plots on eBay or kuftec.com

Wont the android head unit pickup the reverse signal from canbus? I hope so as I don't want to run cable front to back of car.

On 24/12/2017 at 08:30, craigandrew said:

Depends on the make of android head unit, :excl:

All fitted to my new xtrons 4gb 32gb px5 head unit.  Connected to the wiper motor supply that is only on when ignition is on head unit switches to reverse camera image when in reverse via canbus.