Handbrake Sticking

My car is a 1.0 Mpi 75bhp. What's happening as I forgot to explain. Handbrake shoes stick on when I release the Handbrake.  Someone who works for VW says this was happening  with some VW and there is a technical bullet in out on the repair. Warranty are paying for the repair where the repair  involves replacing the rear shoes. I'm guessing  warranty will only pay if car is less than 6 months old.

Warranties cover Faulty Design Manufacturing, Materials & Workmanship.

That is not just in the first 6 months / 6,500 miles , 

But as to servicing and maintenance the owner needs to do that or pay someone to. 

Over 1 year old will have been at least through 1 winter, 2 years 2 or 3.

The Warranty provider can say 'Environmental issues',   ie Rain, Snow, Salt etc.

& then there is the fact Brakes do stick, and this has been the case with Fabia and other models for decades.

Edited by AwaoffSki

45 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

there is the fact Brakes do stick, and this has been the case with Fabia and other models for decades.

I used to get this all the time on my Ibiza as it got older, especially after rain. Tapping the lug nuts with a copper-headed hammer would often loosen the pads. A full rear brake service (clean, re-grease, reset) pretty much eliminated it.

If you have rear drum brakes that stick on then try this.

They are designed to work going forwards and don't like/work as well going backwards.

They are also more likely to stick on when it is colder and/or damper.

When you park on a drive/in a garage/in a parking space then always back in first, and then you can drive out.

So every time you release the handbrake after parking you will go forwards first.

I also exercise the rear brakes by applying the handbrake while driving.

Obviously do this in a safe and controlled way. Don't start doing handbrake turns.:o

The handbrake warning light/warning noise will complain at you.

I take my front and rear brakes apart, clean and regrease them every year, in the autumn.

This will keep them healthy and exercised and also help to make your brakes last longer.

Thanks AG Falco

On ‎31‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 17:51, AGFalco said:

I take my front and rear brakes apart, clean and regrease them every year, in the autumn.

This will keep them healthy and exercised and also help to make your brakes last longer.

Yup, always worked for me too, though as I use Winter and Summer wheels/tyres, I tend to do this job when I change to Summer "running" as there is more chance of me having planned that change when the weather is warmer - the change to Winter "running" does tend to be done in a rush as the weather is not so kind then!

5 hours ago, rum4mo said:

Yup, always worked for me too, though as I use Winter and Summer wheels/tyres, I tend to do this job when I change to Summer "running" as there is more chance of me having planned that change when the weather is warmer - the change to Winter "running" does tend to be done in a rush as the weather is not so kind then!

I find that the brakes are more likely to stick during the winter so that is why I do mine in the Autumn.

I also swap tyres around in both spring and autumn but I don't wait for it to get cold before swapping them around.

I plan to swap in early November and late March, weather dependant.

I fitted new front disks and pads on one car last autumn.

This was it's first set of disks which had only done 90 K. miles :) and second set of pads doing 45 K. miles per set.

Thanks AG Falco

The handbrake has always stuck on my VAG cars since decades. Drums or discs.

Consequently I never leave the car on the handbrake over a period but stick it in 1st or reverse. If on a slope with the front wheels turned inwards.