First Car Lease and Skoda Kodiaq Lease

arslan

I am considering to lease a Skoda kodiaq in near future. So for searching a good deal.

Please could somebody guide me in what is the best way of getting a good car lease deal and from where? a broker or car dealer? This will be my first car on Lease.

Please I would be grateful if I could know what various deals people  have got monthly payments and initial rental?

You simply have to ask around and compare prices.  Make sure you always factor in your deposit plus the 24/36/48 months to come up with an overall monthly cost that suits you. 

Some cars - not all Skodas - ask for a huge deposit.

I pretty much ignored the PCP “Final payment” because no one would ever pay that or they’d end up with the most expensive car in town.

I’ve done both a PCP via a broker and a PCH directly with a dealer.

The broker put me in contact with a faraway dealer so I enjoyed a long trip to collect the car. 

I’m happy with both my deals.

Whether I turn the cars in early - Voluntary Termination - is yet to be determined.

Enjoy the chase.

Edited by BoxerBoy

Guest shetjan

Simpsons skoda have always been the best value PCH that i could find, very good to deal with and no charges on top of their quoted prices, which include VAT. 

20 minutes ago, shetjan said:

Simpsons skoda have always been the best value PCH that i could find, very good to deal with and no charges on top of their quoted prices, which include VAT. 

.... and most Skoda dealers will match their prices.

I've never had a problem getting as good as or a better deal than Simpsons advertise, as I would never again purchase a car from them.

• Like 1

Remember there are leases PCH and optional purchase PCP,  make sure you realise the difference (some people mix them up)

If you intend to do a new lease upon expiry, and definitely will not buy the car, do not do a PCP as you are paying for a big option premium that you will never utilise.   PCHs therefore usually cheaper.

As already suggested contracthireandleasing.com is a good comparison website,  try changing the months upfront, and set a maximum per month to find the best deals.   No harm in seeing what prices your local dealer offers for leasing (many dealers do PCH, but don't advertise it openly, as they would prefer to sell you PCP as that seems to give them better commission).     The way to compare easily is to add up total payments (including deposit and any admin/arrangement fee) and divide the total cost by number of months to give average monthly cost.   Just write these down to form a list.  Most include car tax, maintenance may/may not be included (if not,  allow for it), sometimes metallic paint is included, so note on your list.      

One final thing, options are very expensive on leases, whatever you add will almost certainly be added to the period of the lease, not life of car.  So if add £1000 option to 24 month deal, they will add £41.66 per month to cover it.   Therefore try and avoid any options (sometimes cheaper to go to next spec level and pay few pounds extra per month), hence deals including metallic paint are useful.     For some models auto is virtually same price as manual.

Hello All,

Thank you very much all for replying, very good advice. I have been looking at contracthireandleasing.com 

I haven't got any quotes from Simpsons yet but be worth speaking to them. Which I will do in near future.

With a relative low deposit and 35 months option is it reasonable to say I will get a deal below £250 per month?

When taking out a deal with a lease broker can we negotiate a deal with them?

18 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

If you intend to do a new lease upon expiry, and definitely will not buy the car, do not do a PCP as you are paying for a big option premium that you will never utilise.   PCHs therefore usually cheaper.

I think this is a gross oversimplification. It all depends on what the car is (make, model, trim, gearbox, fuel type etc.) - not to mention offers that are available etc. When buying my Kodiaq, I found that lease deals weren't very strong, and I was able to get a cheaper 'total cost' through PCP, even if I just hand the car back at the end.

Also, don't underestimate that flexibility - with a lease, you are stuck with it for the full term. With PCP, you have options throughout the life (whether or not they make financial sense until a certain point is another matter entirely).

Finally, to get a lease at the low headline figures, you usually need to stick in a massive up-front initial payment. As everyone says, you need to take that into account when comparing so you are looking at the total cost over the full term.

18 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

One final thing, options are very expensive on leases, whatever you add will almost certainly be added to the period of the lease, not life of car.  So if add £1000 option to 24 month deal, they will add £41.66 per month to cover it.   Therefore try and avoid any options (sometimes cheaper to go to next spec level and pay few pounds extra per month), hence deals including metallic paint are useful.     For some models auto is virtually same price as manual.

To be fair, most options don't increase the GMFV either on a PCP (or, if they do, it's only by a very low percentage of the option cost), so you're paying them off over the term of the agreement as well. It's just PCP deals are usually longer than lease deals, so the increase in monthly payments is less because there are more payments to divide the cost over :-)

6 hours ago, arslan said:

Hello All,

Thank you very much all for replying, very good advice. I have been looking at contracthireandleasing.com 

I haven't got any quotes from Simpsons yet but be worth speaking to them. Which I will do in near future.

With a relative low deposit and 35 months option is it reasonable to say I will get a deal below £250 per month?

Highly unlikely I'm afraid, depending on how low you mean with regards to the deposit.

To get a decent specification Kodiaq (i.e SE L spec or above, diesel, 4x4, 7 seats etc.) for less than £250 per month will likely require a hefty deposit (£3-5K).

Also, the 24 month PCH deals are often cheaper than a 36 month lease.

A £1.5K deposit will see an approx £350 per month outlay over 36 months...

https://pulmanskoda.co.uk/contract-hire/kodiaq-2-0-tdi-150ps-4x4-5-seats-personal-contract-hire

Simpson aren't advertising any specific Kodiaq deals on their site which suggests the production lines are running pretty full (good PCH deals tend to follow the needs of manufacturers to fill production slots).

Here's a lowly petrol SE (2WD, 5 seats) for £250 per month over 36 months (9+35) with a £2,250 deposit (plus £380 broker fee) on 8,000 miles per year...

https://www.contracthireandleasing.com/independent-brokers/blue-chilli-car-contracts-ltd/skoda/kodiaq/259015941/

Edited by silver1011

Guest shetjan

I spent several months looking for a good PCH deal to replace my octavia scout when it came near to the end of the deal (2k deposit and £179 a month dsg etc) and i couldn't find anything attractive on a Kodiaq at all, had several long chats with dealers to no avail, ended up buying an XTrail which was a mistake, manual and 1.6 dci is gutless and noisy,  and have just traded it on a Kodiaq ex demo 190hp DSG SE L which i collected today, delighted with it on the return home, 300 miles, and looks like a keeper, but had to do a PCH to get the price to a sensible level, much dearer than the Scout but still ok. 

skoda avatar.jpg

Edited by shetjan

On 07/01/2018 at 21:11, shetjan said:

i can only comment on my own experience

As I did on mine, and quite a few others - they are my 'local' dealer and there are quite a few forum members round here who wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

They let one forum user drive off in their Fabia vRS with absolutely no oil in it - guess what, the engine self destructed 100yd down the road. This was after it had been in to them for an oil consumption test due to high oil consumption (common issue on the Fabia MkII vRS). To top it all, they were now closed as it was collected at the end of the day and the owner had to call Skoda Assist to get towed back to Simpsons ..........

Another local forum user - they fitted four new tyres and he had to take the car back a week later because they had 'forgotten' to balance the wheels! Professional or what ........

I know of 2 lease Kodiaqs from them that were collected and driven hundreds of miles back home only for the purchasers to find out that they hadn't taken the transport blocks out at PDI. Good job they are lease cars as that won't have done the suspension any favours at all. Makes you wonder if their PDI consists of fitting number plates and putting a Simpsons sticker in the rear window and not much more ............

Locally they are a laughing stock, but Skoda seem to give them extra funding/incentives - probably because of Neil Simpsons rally exploits. 

Edited by andyvee

On 08/01/2018 at 15:32, arslan said:

Hello All,

Give RRG Rochdale a call and ask for Tom in the Fleet department - tell him Andy with the Kodiaq referred you and he will give you as honest a deal as anywhere else I have found, and I looked round plenty when I took out my PCH lease a year ago.

Don't go, I have some questions.

I'm in a similar situation, currently in an Octavia Scout on a PCH, ends in May/June.

The wife wants a Kodiaq, but at a little under one year since launch we're either looking at new or ex-demo. There aren't many other used examples floating around yet.

This unfortunately means they a little too expensive, for a decent spec used (SE L or above) you're looking at approx. £25,000.

You mentioned you've gone for another PCH and the car is likely to be a keeper, will you therefore be exploring the rarely known option to buy (i.e. anyone can buy it but you), I guess you won't know the price Skoda will want for it in 2 years time?

Just now, AwaoffSki said:

Sorry quick OT ,

andyvee,

never heard the Fabia mk2 vRS no oil in engine story before, never mentioned in the Fabia MK2 section that i have seen 

or was it just never on the forum?

It was on the forum I think - @Evil Miyagi - if not, he is a friend of mine, worked with him for many years a few years ago - he may have kept it quiet :)

And the tyres - @Paul007 - and that was very recently

1 minute ago, silver1011 said:

Don't go, I have some questions.

I'm in a similar situation, currently in an Octavia Scout on a PCH, ends in May/June.

The wife wants a Kodiaq, but at a little under one year since launch we're either looking at new or ex-demo. There aren't many other used examples floating around yet.

This unfortunately means they a little too expensive, for a decent spec used (SE L or above) you're looking at approx. £25,000.

You mentioned you've gone for another PCH and the car is likely to be a keeper, will you therefore be exploring the rarely known option to buy (i.e. anyone can buy it but you), I guess you won't know the price Skoda will want for it in 2 years time?

Mine will be available in a few weeks and has a heated front windscreen :)

The seat frame will have eventually been replaced as well - loads of options and about 6.5K miles on it :)

andyvee,

I think maybe the story has evolved in the telling. I remember the time.

Maybe just the whole story not posted....

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/314870-lumpy-fast-idle-following-misfire/?page=3 

(someplace i still have the pictures no longer in the thread.)

Engine failure...

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/252759-fabia-vrs-oil-fix/?page=8 

30th November 2012

Edited by AwaoffSki

27 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

A fully loaded Edition? I think this will still be more than we can afford!

Could you hide it somewhere until May :)

For you, if I could I would, but I have a sneaky suspicion they may want their money back pretty quickly

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

andyvee,

I think maybe the story has evolved in the telling. I remember the time.

Maybe just the whole story not posted....

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/314870-lumpy-fast-idle-following-misfire/?page=3 

(someplace i still have the pictures no longer in the thread.)

Definitely whole story not posted :)

That car did go through a set of plugs a week though :)

Guest shetjan
14 hours ago, Welsh_kai_boy said:

I have hidden two posts, insulting long serving members/contributors is not tolerated and isn't going to win you any friends. I didn't see any trolling or attack by @andyvee he was merely trying to help you @shetjan.

I don't see anywhere he was trying to help me, to the contrary he was trying to show that my recommendation based on my own experience was worthless as a newbie as he appears to have a personal axe to grind against simpsons.  I regret responding at all to arslan's request for PCH advice, and i am surprised that you have allowed a thread asking for this advice to be hijacked for a personal crusade against a specific retailer. I hope that you will now action my previous request to delete my account.

Thank You

And to arslan, my apology for responding to your post and mentioning Simpsons, i had no idea that it would result in such vitriol against a specific retailer. Good luck in your search. 

Sometimes people speak as they see, I do it myself if I have been burnt by retailers/dealers. I want everyone to play nice and take each others opinions without the personal insults.

If facts are wrong then these can be corrected if people think they are too far wrong for the public domain.