Can't find cause of new Fabia issues

M1cks

Hi all.  I've recently got a new Monte Carlo and I'm regretting it.

On the night it was collected I noticed condensation in the headlights (the DRL section)

Since then the stereo keeps cutting out and going through the reboot process.  The headlights have all gone off while driving at night for about 10 seconds before coming on again.  The keyless entry only seems to work for a few entry attempts before you then have to use the buttons on the key fob to get in.  You then have to pair the key again to get it to work.

So far the dealer has had the car the same amount of time as I have.

They have replaced the BCM thinking this will fix the issues - it hasn't.  Tonight, the keyless has again stopped working and the stereo is now displaying 'Component protection active'

As far as the condensation in the lights, the dealer has said that 'Skoda are aware and it's within an acceptable tolerance'

For a new car which we waited 8 weeks to be delivered it's really disappointing.

Has anyone else had these type of new car problems and how did you handle it?

Welcome to the site. Sorry to hear you have some issues. I've had four Fabia's both estates and hatches. 1 manual and three autos. Haven't had any issues except a knocking engine in a brand new 2016 hatch Dsg. Skoda changed the car for me as they could not fix it. Water in the head lights is common and not a problem unless the condensation stays for lengthy periods within the lights. They won't change them under warranty unless that is the case. Under the Oct 2015 Consumer rights act you are  free to reject the car within 6 months of purchase. If you can do it within 30 days it's very easy to do and no one can stop you.

Estate man please tell the story, 

a knocking engine in a brand new 2016 hatch DSG and Skoda bought it back / replaced.

Did knowing people in the trade or the dealership make any difference, or were Skoda UK ready to admit there were fundamental design, manufacturing or material failings with the engine, so a dud?

What were the major engine failings?

Reject a faulty car, one that can not be fixed,  not just a simple reject is it, just that you are not prepared to have repair carried out 

or a new engine fitted to a almost new car.

Edited by AwaoffSki

It's something I have talked about earlier, but my brand new 2016 car had a heavy knock on start up when hot or warm. More than just the rattly knock that can happen after standing for a few days. Sounded like big ends but was in fact top end related. It was a problem straight away when purchased. I had my own ideas of cause but I'm not a vag trained tech (I'm Honda & Nissan) and with the car under warranty I left it to the techs to sort. They had the car off and on for several weeks to try to fix the issue replacing non return valves etc in the lube system but failed to fix it. Ulimately it was the seals in the variable valve timing that were leaking out the oil. As I understand it, four other cars were affected and all those engines destroyed themselves but those were continental cars. None over here got that far. Got independent rac report done and car was changed for another brand new model. Compo paid and extra accessories from Skoda UK and the dealer. It was VW finance who I found to be really good and it was necessary for them to fight my case against the dealer and Skoda. They did after all own the car. This actually gives you much more leverage in such circumstances. In the end it was all good natured and I have little to complain about. Skoda were in fact quite good at all stages. My being connected to the trade was of little help so anyone with any sort of brain would get the same treatment. But it's important to be persistent and present your case in a clear and concise manner. I took advice from Citizens Advice too who were amazing. Important to say this was not an intrinsic fault with the engine design just rogue seals on a handful of cars.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply about your experience Estate Man.

i am waiting a call back with legal advice. My main sticking point is that we are after the 30 days. What I need clarification on is does the initial 30 day clock stop once the problem is reported and being investigated?

believe it or not, I actually like the car and would be more than happy if it wasn’t defective. I fear now that by giving them the time to fix it, I’ve reduced my strengths when it comes to returning for a full refund.

its on a PCP so I will also look at what assistance/leverage the finance co will apply.

• Like 1

No time limit when there is a Major Issue / Fault.

Not Skoda UK T&C's 6 months / 6,500 miles or the 3 years.

New car, 

what are the Warranty Provider saying about getting repairs done in a timely manner and the car fit for purpose, 

and if the Dealership carrying out work on your and their behalf not being capable, a qualified and experienced Master Tech reviewing the Warranty work and doing a report.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us 

Ah the joys of consumer rights. I had to battle with the garage that sold me the Focus I had before my Fabia about all of this, ended up taking the crooks to court and winning.  

Just because you're after the 30 days does not mean that you have to end up sticking with the car. If it's not repaired after the first time then legally you have the right to reject, but you say that you like the car- it sounds like that if they fixed the electrical gremlins then you'd be perfectly happy with it. 

If you request repair within those first 30 days, the clock stops until the repair is carried out. You then have the remainder of those 30 days, or 7 days, whichever is longer, for short-term rejection of the goods. EG, you buy the car on the 1st December. It develops a fault on the 15th December, and it takes until the 20th December for the garage to fix it. Your 30 days run from the 1st December to the 14th December, and then from the 20th December to the 4th January- you get an extra 5 days, due to the delay caused by repairing the car. However, if your car developed the fault on the 30th December, and they fixed it on the 5th January, you would get those extra 7 days. (Section 22)

However, if that repair does not fix the problems, then you have the right to reject the goods under the final right to reject (Section 24)

The legal stuff is all quite interesting, and is very much sided for the consumer. 

In your case, I wouldn't go nuclear about saying that you want to reject the car right away. A collaborative approach is likely to be much easier for you. Tell the garage that they need to either repair or replace the vehicle. Say that you like the car when it's working- you want them on your side, not as an enemy.