OEM v Aftermarket Stereo's

k7aus

I'd like to have DAB and Bluetooth in my car and im considering what options to take and best value for money.

I currently have Skoda Swing Radio, no fitted microphone and the radio is connected to my rear parking sensors (in reverse the stereo turns itself down and the car along with its distance to objects appears on the radio screen) 

Ive been considering the Admunsen + unit, but i dont really need sat nav (its a luxury) but they very expensive second hand, id also have to bet a microphone and possible have it coded to the car?????(Unsure of last statement) on a well know auction site there about £400+ Factor in factory mic and its getting towards £500 (inc new GPS, DAB Antenna etc)

An aftermarket head unit (Double din  JVC KW-V235DBT) from Car Audio Direct is £200 factor in dab antenna and fitting kit its about £300 but i will loose my rear parking sensors display.

Any suggestions are most welcome in resolving this 1st world problem are welcome.

Always go for a aftermarket touchscreen unit. I bought a eonon custom Skoda headunit from eBay. Cost £200 quid. And is plug and play. No additional bits needed. Hasn't skipped a beat yet. I done a wee review if you check my posts.

• Like 1

Indeed, the Android aftermarket units I've tried works fine, including reversing sensors and camera, however the sound quality is in my experience horrible on all of them, and yes you can install things like ViperFX software eq's but they still sound like crap compared to my original Swing unit.

The ultimate unit for me would be something like the RNS510 with Android auto and Apple Carplay. Unfortunately that's not an option with the old 510's, and if it was, it would be too expensive for me.

After trying several Android units and never being 100% happy, I ended up with a second hand RNS510 Dab+ unit, at least for now. Working great so far.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

I'd like to ask anyone who has changed their headunit and has the rear parking sensors if they have used a unit which still shows the parking sensor display. Ideally I'd like to keep this feature along with the beeps.

I'm currently looking at a used RNS310 OR 315 and currently have the dance headunit. I'd like to have a unit with bluetooth and one I can add the rear camera to.

I'd appreciate any help.

Kind regards

I had the same dilemma. I didnt want install another aftermarket head unit as i would have lost the rear parking display. But i found the OEM head units too expensive for what you get. So i installed my old Pioneer AVH-X3600DAB head unit that gave me DVD, DAB, Bluetooth as standard with the option to install later Rear Camera + Sat nav.

As i had the old pioneer unit in a mk5 golf i didnt have to buy anything new apart from the new screen mounted DAB aerial.  (Surround fascia and connectors were the same for mk5 to Skoda Fabia Monte)

Ive lost my rear parking sensor display but i still have the beeps, and it doesnt turn the stereo when you put in reverse also. and the screen is a lot smaller than the factory install but i get Bluetooth and DAB and i have the steering wheel remote on the wheel (Pioneer CD-SR110)

Skoda Monte2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

A connected question..  Are the beeps on the rear parking sensors connected to the Swing radio also, or if I change to an aftermarket (chinese android) double Din, will I loose the reverse display, and also the beeps?

I'm ok with loosing the display as I'll be installing a reversing camera, but I would like it if the beeps still worked.

OEM headunit = Beeps and display distance on head unit, rear wiper does 1 sweep and radio turns down - All when you select reverse.

Aftermarket Head unit (Pioneer) = Beeps with 1 rear wiper sweep when your select reverse.

Beeps still work.