Exhaust inspection system light

The Saturday before Christmas I had the 'Exhaust Inspection Light' come up  on my 40,000 mile Fabia 1.2 Tsi 110 estate and so went to the local Skoda dealer with it.  The mechanic hooked up the laptop and proclaimed that it could be one of two lambda sensors (either pre or post cat) but that it was not a problem and should only cause the fuelling to be slightly off.  He cancelled the warning as the car was due in for service on the 3rd of Jan and I would be only using the car for local journeys over the Christmas.  At the service I asked them to look into it (plus pull and remake the connector) but there was no fault found.  This morning on my normal 50 mile to work commute it has come on again...  I have also noticed that the normal 50 mpg average has dropped to 40mpg for the same journey, so it is probably running very rich though there is no obvious impact on the performance.  Firstly, does anyone know the implications of running with this warning illuminated and secondly, are the sensors easy to get hold of and change, or does it require large amounts of time/effort to get at such that it is better left to the dealer?

It can happen in cold conditions maybe, even any time.

Sitting ticking over with engine running, de-icing maybe, parked engine running, gridlock traffic, 

maybe a bit of a mis-fire but no mis-fire logged and the Exhaust Emissions Control light shows.

So at 40,000 miles has the car been serviced to Manufacturers Service Spec Guidelines?

Does it need new Spark Plugs, have they been checked, By that technician?

If checking you replace at 40,000 miles.   Is there a new Air Filter in?

Where was your fuel bought, could it have been from a filling station with moisture in the Tank.

Fill up with a tank of 97/99 ron Super unleaded, it will only cost £2.50 extra.

If you need a new sensor or the likes then i take it you have a Manufacturers Warranty.

So you need servicing up to date, Oil / Filter, Air Filter, Spoark Plugs and maybe even a new Fuel Filter.

I'd be hoping that now that you have reported this issue, and it sounds like it is still only an intermittent fault,  with that same light coming back on, your Skoda dealer would again check what faults have been logged, compare with what they have recorded from your last visit,  and this time take some action, and as said above, with nothing needing to be removed from your wallet.

Thanks, Awaoffski and rum4mo.  Yes it has been mine from new and has had full main dealer servicing - the last service has only just been done, though I don't recall that plugs were on the schedule of tasks carried out.  I never sit with the car running at idle to de-ice etc (once oil is circulating I am able to drive off gently for the first couple of miles so the whole car warms up throughout) and I am lucky that my commute is a 100 mile round trip mix of quick A road and dual carriageway with no hold-ups other than a few moments at junctions. The car rarely gets used for short journeys or in traffic. The two instances of the light illuminating have been on different tanks of fuel (I refuel to full from typically 1/4 tank without fail owing to my regular journey requirements).

The car is still (just) in warranty so I will be contacting the dealer to get it looked at asap, my main interest was what the implications on the car were of having to use it with the failed sensor?

• Like 1

Your Full Main Dealer Servicing and a Major Service is Spark Plugs replaced at 40,000 miles.

So ask them in writing if done, or the Technician decided not required, yet was checking fault codes on a report of an Exhaust Emissions Control light showing.

How much was the 40,000 mile service and what does the invoice show.

Has the Air Filter been changed or at least checked?

Unfortunately the invoice is at home so cannot see what was on it for certain.  I am pretty sure that plugs were not on it though there was at least one filter (pollen was definitely there but cannot recall if air filter was). I had a brake fluid change done as it is coming due and all in it came to around £340.  I am waiting for the service manager at the dealership to call me back, so I will take up the points you suggest, thanks.

• Like 1

You paid a lot.

Pollen filter is at 2 year service, or when needed so good. Service pays that.

Airfilter at 40,000 miles so good. If done, not just a Tech says not required.

Brake Fluid the extra £52 so OK.

As to the Spark Plugs these are not 'special'  as many say, & changed at 60,000 or 70,000 or how ever they say modern 'Long Life plugs last'.

At Major 4 year service, especially if a driver reports, Exhaust Emissions Light or EPC.

?

If they are not doing spark pluf change at 40,000 miles when are they, waiting another 18,500 - 20,000 miles if on Flexible Servicing, 

or another 9,400 on fixed.

???

What Servicing are you on, Fixed or Flexible / Variable?

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes 

Edited by AwaoffSki

It seems weird, and I'm not trying to say it is wrong, but, while - well at least VW maybe, tend to say that the plugs get changed at 4 or 6 years or when the mileage has already reached the limit, they go and list standard service menus and these menus contents, and yes minor service no plugs, every major service new plugs - though, I think that these listed minor and major services are meant for cars that are outwith the 3 year warranty period.

My wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2 110PS was bought with a "pay up front" service plan as I thought it suited us as we would keep using that dealer while the car was within warranty, really just to avoid any sharp ducking and diving by VW if problems appeared and the mileage allowance was also well within our estimated car use.  Now I'll reckon that as little as possible will get replaced and the cheapest option is always used, like basic pollen filter to replace carbon coated one and short service engine oil instead of the long service oil that they normally force you to pay for regardless of service regime.

Anyway, I'm prepared for year 4 major service which is still well over a year away, by which time I'll be doing the work, coil puller already in my tool storage unit along with the correct cup to make oil filter removal easy.

• Like 1

Well, the car is booked in for Saturday.  They didn't change the plugs (which should have been done) and the air filter is not due until 60k.  They will do the plugs whilst investigating the sensor problem. The fuel consumption has definitely taken a hit by whatever the problem may be.  I had to do a 150 mile journey yesterday pm and the consumption only just made it into the low 40s when normally I would have expected 50-ish even allowing for the current OAT.  I was on a prepaid (fixed) service schedule until this last service, but as the car goes out of 3 year warranty in March I will be doing the standard stuff myself from thereon.  I have a laptop based fault code reader and have been working on my cars and bikes for many years so I would rather avoid dealer bills once I am able.

• Thanks 1

I would have had the Workshop Manager or Principal Dealer arrange to have a Courtesy car delivered, your car taken for the proper service and a valet, and then returned.

Their error, their staffs error, and why the reputation of Main Dealerships have people call them 'Stealers'.

Rubbish on the 60,000 mile Air Filter change.

*Open the airbox yourself and look if it is clean.*

Environmental issue and location location location.

Someone might do 60,000 miles on Country roads and have no build up of dust / dirt / seeds etc 

& someone else might do 8,000 miles a year in Edinburgh sitting behind Dirty Busses and Taxis putting out 'soot' and have a blackened and blocked Air Filter.

Then there are wet drives, days of rain, damp air filters and then freezing weather, and air filters can cause running issues, 

even blocked air intakes from leaves, grain, spiders and various stuff in 40,000 miles let alone 60,000 miles,

Some cars never do 60,000 miles before being scrapped.

It takes 5 minutes to check the Air Flter opening the Air Box, so at a Major Service that gets done, OR SHOULD.

Scimping on a £16 filter which you pay for with a £279 Major service anyway can cost you 2-3 MPG with an old  / dirty air filter in.

*Failing spark plugs can cost you a few MPG, and a failing plug can cause an Ignition Coil to fail prematurely, another expense.*

So tell that to the Service Workshop Manager.  You know they lie, their lips move.

http://skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed 

Edited by AwaoffSki

These people work in Skoda Dealerships 5 or 6 days a week, it is their job and people trust when paying for Servicing & Maintenance that it is done.

Skoda offer Fixed Price Servicing @ Participating Dealerships, have web site showing what is done, 

& for £279 a Technician decides if you get new Consumables or not, but might fail to even look at them.

Air Filter as an example, 

& a customer complains of an Exhaust Emissions Control Warning light, the spark plugs are due a change at 40,000 miles and they are not even inspected let alone changed.

Some training is required, not just on 'upselling'  & Skoda UK Customer Services need to talk with the Principal Dealer of the Franchised Dealership.

People are getting ripped off.

http://skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us 

http://skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed