Proud new owner...

Hello Everyone, 

I picked up my 2016 1.4TSI (ACT) Superb SE yesterday. I previously owned a 2014 Octavia Elegance TD 2.0, but traded it in for the Superb because I didn't like the harsh ride and noisy cabin!

From a personal perspective, the cars cannot be compared.  My early impressions are the Superb is quiet, refined and really comfortable.  I am especially enjoying the engine, it adds to the quiet experience and has been very efficient with the ACT technology.

It's the best car I've owned!

Looking for any general opinions of fellow users who own the same car and how they've found it!

Many thanks, 

Dave .

• Like 4

The engine in my opinion is excellent. I had it in the previous car - Audi A3. Both with DSG.

The engine power and torque figures compare well to the 1.8T VW's I had from 99 to 2003 except I think the 1.4TSI is a bit more flexible because of more torque (250Nm vs 205Nm).

And my SE L Executive is very comfortable and well equipped - I added quite a few options.

Mines a pretty basic model (SE), but mine has most of what I need ! 

I would like a set of bigger wheels, but I do like the way the car looks! 

Yours must be really well equipped ? 

I hope my experience will be as satisfying when mine turns up mid March.

Quick question: Have you ever heard a loud grinding type noise from your engine for a second or two on cold starts? I heard this on a brand new 1.4act passat and have subsequently read that a lot of people with 1.4act engines suffer from this (for reason unknown) noise.

In contrast the brand new 1.5tsi I started in an Octavia was super silky and quiet.

BTW If you look at the price of tyres for a 18" or 19" wheel, you may be thankful you went for 17”

Edited by xman

Not, not heard a noise at all from

the engine from cold or warm start! 

Its a really refined unit too, you can barely hear it ! I wouldn’t say it’s fast, but fast enough , I’ve done a couple of motorway runs and he economy has been 55mpg at 70mph!

good point about the tyres !!! I just feel because it’s such a big car, 17” look a tad small! 

• Like 1

I might trade you if those tyre price don't come down! (£175 per tyre Crossclimates - seesh!! :dull: )

Think of the positives....

The 17” are more comfortable than larger wheels.

I don't spend much time looking at my cars from the outside.

And I do find cars on thin rubber band tyres look ridiculous especially big SUV's. I smile as they very often have severe damage to the rims, those ultra low profiles don't provide much kerb protection and those yummy mummys can be terrible at parking.:blush

• Like 1

Very interested to hear of your experiences David. Like xman, I’m due to take delivery of a new Superb 1.4 TSi DSG SE hatch in March. I’m switching from a similar engine/gearbox combo in an Octavia - while it’s been a decent enough drive, I’ve found its ride brittle and noisy because of the torsion beam rear suspension.

Hoping that the independent rear suspension in the Superb will make for a more smooth and refined ride. Certainly felt that way in the Superb Sportline I tested before purchase, even though it had lowered suspension and low profile tyres.

36 minutes ago, xman said:

Quick question: Have you ever heard a loud grinding type noise from your engine for a second or two on cold starts?

No I haven't and I had the same engine in an Audi for 3 years before the Superb. The 1.4TSI ACT engine has only been available in UK VW Passats since this year unless you had the GTE.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavidGee said:

Yours must be really well equipped ? 

Mine is the SEL Executive but I added Park Assist, Smart Light Assist (so get rear assist/blind spot monitoring and active lane assist too), rear camera, heated washer nozzles, rear wash wiper, DSG paddles.... think that's it. Probably forgotten something.

Edit.... and forgot I added the adaptive DCC suspension too.

Edited by rtj70

2 minutes ago, rtj70 said:

Mine is the SEL Executive but I added Park Assist, Smart Light Assist (so get rear assist/blind spot monitoring and active lane assist too), rear camera, heated washer nozzles, rear wash wiper, DSG paddles.... think that's it. Probably forgotten something.

Edit.... and forgot I added the adaptive DCC suspension too.

You forgot the chauffeur! ;)

On 15/01/2018 at 20:57, xman said:

Quick question: Have you ever heard a loud grinding type noise from your engine for a second or two on cold starts? I heard this on a brand new 1.4act passat and have subsequently read that a lot of people with 1.4act engines suffer from this (for reason unknown) noise.

I have just picked up a new Superb 1.4 TSI ACT SE L and it makes the sound I think you are referring to. It is not really a grinding sound, more a "strangled lamb" sort of noise. Here's a recording I made cold starting my Superb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e88dqDIY5o

This noise happens every cold start. Once started and engine is warm, no more noise.

I asked the local Skoda main dealer to comment on it but they are stumped. No obvious fault found (as you would expect) so I have asked them to ask the Skoda Technical Dept for their comments. Not too hopeful of a reply though ...

Apart from the obvious "my new car should not be making noises like this" point, not sure where I take this ... 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, ianch99 said:

I have just picked up a new Superb 1.4 TSI ACT SE L and it makes the sound I think you are referring to. It is not really a grinding sound, more a "strangled lamb" sort of noise. Here's a recording I made cold starting my Superb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e88dqDIY5o

This noise happens every cold start. Once started and engine is warm, no more noise.

I asked the local Skoda main dealer to comment on it but they are stumped. No obvious fault found (as you would expect) so I have asked them to ask the Skoda Technical Dept for their comments. Not too hopeful of a reply though ...

Apart from the obvious "my new car should not be making noises like this" point, not sure where I take this ... 

Yup, that's the sound. On the Passat I witnessed it was considerably  louder and lasted at least twice as long, the car had been stood outside for a few days.

I'd be intensely annoyed and worried about this on a new car. Thing is its been widely reported but no response from VAG as to what or why it is and why only some cars suffer.

I used to hear a similar sound on a 1994 1.4 Golf, which I put down to a belt tensioner issue.

Best guess here is its something to do with the cam phasers, lack of oil at start up, or starter motor run on.

Don't give in, pester Skoda for a proper diagnosis and explanation. I was fobbed off on the 1.2 tsi camchain issue (its normal, they all do it, etc etc), ended up costing me a lot in Year 4. Others lost their engines....

Edited by xman

Xman/Ianch, 

i had the noise you are referring to for the first time this morning! 

Sounds like it could be the starter motor spinning longer than it should? 

Have Skoda got back to anyone on this potential fault ? 

Cheers, 

Dave. 

I am so depressed. Had I known this noise was a common thing, I would never had ordered this car!

Dave, report the issue to your dealer, very importantly, get it logged onto Skoda's system. See what they say.

I have a horrible feeling we are seeing the beginning of another "oh they all do that" feature that 4 years down the line turns out to be something serious.

Damn.

3 hours ago, DavidGee said:

Xman/Ianch, 

i had the noise you are referring to for the first time this morning! 

Sounds like it could be the starter motor spinning longer than it should? 

Have Skoda got back to anyone on this potential fault ? 

Cheers, 

Dave. 

Initially the Dealer said:

Thank you for your email and video links. I have shown them to the Technician who worked on your car on the day and also our Master Technician, both of them confirm that that noise is normal for your engine.

As I mentioned on the day we tested it against a VW Golf we had in with the same engine and it made the exact same noise for the same length of time. This is a normal characteristic of this vehicle

I emailed back straight away:

I disagree. With no technical explanation as to the reason for the noise together with the knowledge that the majority of the cars do *not* make this noise means that this warrants, at the very least, referral to the Skoda technical department. 

Saying that another car also makes the noise can be also viewed that this car also has the same fault.

To confirm no fault means you need to understand the cause. If you cannot say why it happens, you cannot say it is not a problem.

and then I rang them up :)

and they relented and are now referring the issue to said Skoda technical department. Let's see what they come back with.

• Like 2

In polish, Skoda means pity, shame, broken,damaged...I assume the Czech translation is similar.

Mr Skoda must have had a hard time at school.....I'm surprised he chose to trade under his name when he bought out L&K.