Snow.

Bignij

@Fin69,

That is great, you rock in off the streets with your set of wheels and they change them free gratis a and that is at some establishments where the owners would not give away the steam from their sh0ite.  I hope you give generously to the tea tin.

Or are you paying for wheel alignments and they fit the wheels you are wanting on?

Great to see your share your business around.  

Edited by Skoffski

The only thing I got from a tyre business for free was a plastic valve cap. And I saw them pluck that off the floor of the place. And it was dirty.

Everything else I've bee charged for. Then again, us Irish are famous for being very tight compared to our Scottish brethren...  ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skoffski said:

That is great, you rock in off the streets with your set of wheels and they change them free gratis a and that is at some establishments where the owners would not give away the steam from their sh0ite. 

On 25/01/2019 at 01:38, Fin69 said:

Whenever I swap over from my Cold Weather to General tyres I get a four wheel alignment carried out (most garages don't tend to charge for the wheel swap!).

I see we are gong to have to add 'Reading Interpretation Skills' alongside 'Full Complement of Legs' to the list of 'Areas Skoffski Is Deficient In'! 

I always book in advance. Infiniti had an offer on Vouchercloud with a fixed price of £60. I used them twice before they stopped the offer and started charging by the hour; £100ph. That's when I went to Pro-grip after he was recommended on here. 

Taggarts were another Vouchercloud fixed price special, £75. They now charge by the hour, £160ph. 

The last two occasions have been with Skoda, they didn't charge for the wheel swap as I was getting work carried out on the brakes and they had to remove the wheels anyway, but I've not been entirely happy with the results, and so will probably use Pro-grip again and will happily pay the extra for him to swap the wheels over. 

Edited by Guest
Incorrect grandma

@Fin69

Very different from 'most garage do not charge to change wheels'.   Most or many do not when you are paying them for something else.

By the way taking the pith out of having one leg is out of order, normally i do not mind but you are being snide.

Edited by Skoffski

He's from Glasgow and he is just jealous. Last time I was there, almost all of 'em were completely legless. 

I can say that cos I'm Irish and we all starred in Braveheart together. 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, WaterMelonMan said:

....All Weather or Winter Bricks?

I just heard what the All Weather brick said to the Winter Brick. Never LEGO

On 28/01/2019 at 19:41, silver1011 said:

What have Michelin done different?

I'd assumed it was all down to the tread pattern and rubber compound, which manufacturers have been playing around with for years with varying levels of success.

Have Michelin done something different with the CrossClimate?

That's pretty much all you can vary with a tyre, clearly - the point is it appears Michelin have managed to minimise the summer impact while still keeping all-season capability, meaning you can leave it on all year round (unlike winter tyres), with no need for wheel swaps/storage etc. From what I've read and seen on the videos, reviews and opinions it is ideally suited to the changeable UK climate. You only have to look at the video of the red Audi driving up the snowy slope to see that they are capable!

In terms of the winter technology and the summer/wet braking tests also give good results (better than normal all-seasons). I believe it's down to a combination of sipes, tread pattern and compound - https://www.automotiveworld.com/news-releases/michelin-crossclimate-first-ever-summer-tyre-winter-certification/

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-CrossClimate-launched-is-this-a-game-changer.htm

https://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-crossclimate

I might add that I do not work for Michelin and have no vested interest here, I just think there are so many vehicles out there with summer tyres on that would be significantly safer if they had a set of these on as standard. An average joe/joeline probably doesn't want the hassle of buying, changing and storing a second set of tyres either, so IMO MCC are the perfect compromise. If they made them in the correct size I'd have them on my Jag too but they don't so I'm stuck with Pirelli Sottozeros (and waiting til the temperature drops below 7 degrees avg regularly to swap them on, with a second set of wheels). I am definitely considering them for the Kodiaq, as unfortunately it only has the summer variant of Verde Scorpions on it (why the didn't fit the all-season variant to a 4x4 I don't know).... I'd then sell these existing tyres as part-worn on fleabay to recoup some of the cost.

Edited by MarkSk0da
  • Like 1

Good information. I wasn't so much questioning the benefits of the CrossClimate tyre, but more the reasons why it is thought that they're so much better than other all-season tyres from Michelin's competitors.

I looked at CrossClimates recently to replace both my summer and winter sets of wheels/tyres, and whilst the reviews were very favourable, especially when compared with summer tyres (like most of the reviews tend to focus on), their advantage versus other all-season tyres, for the most part, disappeared.

Given the premium that Michelin charge I wasn't convinced that the CrossClimate was worth the extra outlay. I appreciate Michelin are often priced high, and for good reason, so I did take this onto consideration, in particular that extra mileage that tends to come from Michelin.

Saying that, I've had several different Goodyear tyres on different cars over the years (not all-seasons though) and been generally impressed. I looked at Goodyear's all-season tyre (Vector 4Seasons Gen 2), and in particular reviews where they were compared and tested against the CrossClimate. If I remember correctly, in the dry (summer bias) the CrossClimates performed better, but in the wet and cold the Goodyear's performed better in a number of the tests.

An all-season tyre is a compromise between a super sticky summer tyre and an all-out winter or off-road tyre. Where on that scale it sits differs.

I interpreted the tests I read that the CrossClimate was more summer biased, whereas the Vector 4Seasons were more winter-biased.

I've never found myself short of grip in the warmer months on any of the summer tyres I've had in the past, but have had issues during some of the harsher winters we occasionally get. So, I went with the Goodyear tyres and saved myself a little cash too.

I would like to try the CrossClimates myself, perhaps next time.

20190130_112651.thumb.jpg.2e03352c5ecf0b4cde98a30b0e148e45.jpg

20190130_112702.thumb.jpg.20fc31627a8ac3c54614aec7afa05426.jpg

20190130_112729.thumb.jpg.ad32d926de8f699498a2f6af80d7bc09.jpg

20190130_112746.thumb.jpg.d913e73c323019f21e6c70f5698eb2cc.jpg

Edited by silver1011

Ooooh - thanks for that last pic! I can now prove to my wife that I havent got the dirtiest ass in the British Isles....  

I dragged it around Ireland last week and then put my back out, so I cant wipe it. At least I can console myself that it was nicely waxed beforehand.  :tongueout:

• Haha 1

Michelin produce some wonderful Winter tyres that are well worth fitting and are much more suitable for some peoples usage than CrossClimate +.

It was nice that Prince William & his missus visited Michelin Dundee yesterday to offer their good wishes to those that are losing their jobs.

Big up Michelin for some wonderful tyres, they will just not be coming from Dundee in the future.

To many Imports supposedly.  Like some of Michelin's other brands then. BF Goodrich, Kleber, Tigar, Riken, Kormmoran, Uniroyal.

• 3 weeks later...

I am using continental winter tyres and Kodiaq is doing wonderful on them.   We had lot of snow this winter, but it handels really well. But what i really hate is that sensor for acc gets easilly blocked and then cruise control doesn't work.

IMG_20190113_105119.jpg

IMG_20190203_204323.jpg

• Haha 1