Retro fitting ISOFIX tethering points

Good evening all,

New addition on the way to add to the two already in tow. Tight across the back in the current jalopy (66 plate Estate).

Is it possible to retro fit an isofix tethering point to either the middle seat or the front passenger seat? Know it is possible on other makes (and they provide you with the kit to do it yourself)

Any help might mean that I can keep the beloved beast rather than having to upgrade...

Many thanks

I thought isofix is built into the chassis from manufacturing so it's integral to the cars structure and provides the stability?

Only thing I can think of is for the front to change the seat for one with isofix built in as it would be bolted to the car and provide the stability required.

2 hours ago, Ursicles said:

I thought isofix is built into the chassis from manufacturing so it's integral to the cars structure and provides the stability?

No they are just bolt on in a lot of cases. I had to buy a bracket for my old B5.5 Passat as isofi didn't come standard but they obviously designed the car for it which was strange.

That said, I doubt you will be able to do the same for a middle seat or front seat as it is rare that cars even have that feature in the first place

A lot are bolt-on done it on a few cars VW and Ford. AFAIK ISOFIX was never available on the rear middle seat. No room to do it between the two factory fit ones The octy is not that wide.

However you can get ISOFIX on the front passenger seat, (I have it factory fit) although I do not remember it being an option on UK cars. Looking at the schematic it is a bolt on bracket that could be retrofitted but it would take a bit of seat disassembly (part number is 8T0881545)  There is the obvious caveat these days that it is not recommended to put kids in the front and you do need the airbag cut-off but it has been useful in mine on occasion.

As @pist0nbr0ke says Multimac is another really good option

17 minutes ago, pist0nbr0ke said:

Congrats by the way :)

+1

1 hour ago, wg100 said:

Definitely doable: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?p=415814

I may well look the parts up, though my only query would be regarding non-factory fit vs insurance liability.

I was going to quote that thread as I am on that forum & have known about that mod as the seat frames are made for it.....just its not fitted here as the marketing men don't think we need it...