Tyre pressures

The TPMS system on my Octavia has been playing silly buggers for a while now, to the point where I got it checked at the last service. They said they’d reset it and all was well for a few weeks, then it started again - loss of pressure left rear, loss of pressure right rear, regular checks, no problems with either tyre.

Anyway, all the time I’ve spent messing about with pressure checks made me notice the astonishing increase in pressure Skoda recommends if you’ve got 5 people and a bootful. My Octy SE has standard 205/55 R16s with a normal recommended pressure of 32 psi all round. If I look on the fuel flap, the recommended rear tyre pressure goes up to 320 kpa/46 psi for a full load - an increase of more than 45%. Am I misreading something or is that right?

46 PSI is probably for loaded 19", not for 16" ? Check the correct tire size beside.

I would put for a 16" something like 2,5 bar at front and 2,3 bar at rear. ~37 /  ~33 PSI, if you don't load much to the rear. If you load rear, go same as front. Maybe you have some softer tires which do confuse the TPMS indeed - as it works on resonance principle. 

Edited by nidza

47 minutes ago, MorrisOx said:

No - those are the recommended pressures for the loaded 16 inch tyre. Seems crackers to me.

Yes it does seem a bit high from what we used to use, you are not alone though. Second year in a row I have had to 'have words' with the dealer about setting my tyres back to 30psi from the 36-38 I usually use. Drove like a bag of worms.

Can't say I have ever felt the need to go much above 40 though even when loaded but 46psi is what it says on mine too

3 hours ago, MorrisOx said:

46 psi plus the torsion beam back end my car has would be a guaranteed dental appointment for new fillings...

It'll skip a little over any potholes on corners those rear tyres find too, would cost a fair few pairs of new underwear me thinks

On 25/01/2018 at 10:13, MorrisOx said:

The TPMS system on my Octavia has been playing silly buggers for a while now, to the point where I got it checked at the last service. They said they’d reset it and all was well for a few weeks, then it started again - loss of pressure left rear, loss of pressure right rear, regular checks, no problems with either tyre.

Anyway, all the time I’ve spent messing about with pressure checks made me notice the astonishing increase in pressure Skoda recommends if you’ve got 5 people and a bootful. My Octy SE has standard 205/55 R16s with a normal recommended pressure of 32 psi all round. If I look on the fuel flap, the recommended rear tyre pressure goes up to 320 kpa/46 psi for a full load - an increase of more than 45%. Am I misreading something or is that right?

I have basically the same car with the same wheels. Mine is an se business. 

Mine according to the info in the fuel flap, is max 2.2 to 2.5 bar.

When i bought mine it had around 46, i cant remember the exact number, this i think was delivary pressures pre pdi. So the tyres are less prone to flat spots.

One thing i do notice at the higher presures is the ride definatly deteriorates, the steering is a tad sharper.

It sounds to me this is for a different tyre than tbe 205/55 16inch you have.