Scout 4x4 184 or VRS 184

Yiu octavia drivers, I’m looking at the estate versions of the Scout 184 4x4 DSG or the 184 DSG VRS 

those if you with these cars ( get 230 bhp hence bottle deisel 184s), why did yiu choose the one you went with and how is it in normal day to day driving?

Thanks

We've got both a diesel estate vRS and diesel (150) Scout currently, so have a reasonable idea on both cars - both being great cars.

We live out in the sticks a bit, hence the wife has the scout for getting in to work in bad weather and on the pot hole B roads, whereas i do a lot more motorway miles in the vRS but not so much on poorer condition roads. The cars have different purposes really so kind of need to decide what you're looking for first (sporty styling or comfortable all weather capability). In terms of outright straight line speed, in real terms theres not a lot in it and obviously less if you have the same engine - the 2wd vRS sits lower and thus goes into corners 'better' but the traction of the 4x4 can often be useful when the torque kicks in.

Are you considering new or used - as you can get the diesel vRS in 4x4 now which may tick both boxes.

• Like 2

Would side with the above really, if all wheel drive is a desirable thing for you, but the extra ground clearance and 17 inch wheel options aren't, you can get a vRS 4x4 but they came later in the model life so you'd likely have many less expensive Scout's to choose from if buying used, though many I came across had the 150ps engine. I also live in a rural environment and I used to have to commute up farm tracks and little ribbons of tarmac left unmaintained and very slippy in the winter. I often considered a car like the Scout but I stuck to a 2WD car and the very occasional borrowing of a Land Rover from my Dad in the worst weather and now I commute on trunk roads and motorways so I ended up with the vRS as it has the multi link rear axle and more powerful engine as well as a good standard spec (and my car is well optioned) but I didn't need or want all wheel drive. That's all I can say really, though I would suggest you give them both a good test, see which fits your needs in case the small differences end up meaning a lot to you.

Certainly did do. I previously had mk 2 vRS and Scout. Both very capable cars but did fulfill slightly different niches, as described above, so depends what's more important to you: the improved handling/ less body roll on twisty roads of the vRS or the increased ride height/off- road capability and softer ride of the Scout. 

I’ve just ordered a new estate VRS 4x4 TDi  and got a cracking deal. 

I have a 230 TSi at the minute so looking forward to a comparison. 

The wagon com for the wife, saloon for me

Edited by Tim1631