1.5 TSI coming to the Superb?

Hi all.

I've searched both here and on Google without success. Interested to know has anyone heard if the 1.5 TSI engine that is available in the Octavia facelift and the Karoq will become available in the Superb?

Thanks all!

It will eventually filter through but who knows when. Don't let it put you off buying. The 1.4 TSi is a magic engine and in the real world the 1.5 will have no real advantages. I had a 1.4 TSi without ACT before I had the revised 1.4 TSi with ACT and the only difference is the info that comes on to say ACT activated. No measurable difference to mpg or performance.

Thanks skidpan i'm just curios more than anything. I have a 280 but it is wasted on me I think by my 20 minute total commute to work and back 3 times a week! Amazing engine and I love the Superb but I think next time around I will consider something more frugal - the 1.5 TSI looks like it will fit the bill nicely. How do you find the 1.4 on juice? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CTRob said:

Thanks skidpan i'm just curios more than anything. I have a 280 but it is wasted on me I think by my 20 minute total commute to work and back 3 times a week! Amazing engine and I love the Superb but I think next time around I will consider something more frugal - the 1.5 TSI looks like it will fit the bill nicely. How do you find the 1.4 on juice? 

Overall in 7000 miles of mixed driving its done about 44 mpg (calculated). On a 430 mile trip to Scotland (7 hours driving time) it averaged about 51 mpg.

The Leon 1.4 TSi 140 I had before was slightly better overall but not quite as good on a Scotland trip.

Brilliant engines. In the real world they are as good as it gets.

• Like 1

Just now, skidpan said:

Overall in 7000 miles of mixed driving its done about 44 mpg (calculated). On a 430 mile trip to Scotland (7 hours driving time) it averaged about 51 mpg.

The Leon 1.4 TSi 140 I had before was slightly better overall but not quite as good on a Scotland trip.

Brilliant engines. In the real world they are as good as it gets.

How is it on short urban trips / traffic ? 

Used solely in town for a week its probably about 40 mpg but this is not an inner city with jams and bus lanes. We had a Mondeo 2.0 TDCi that would only manage 36 mpg used like that and on the Scottish run would struggle to do 50 mpg.

• Thanks 1

It will probably come with the facelift at end of 2018. It will be interesting if they keep the 1.4 125ps variant in the base model.

The 1.5tsi does have significant advantages over the 1.4tsi, and does promise real world fuel economy gains. I would prefer it if it were available.

Downsides though

Unproven engine

Has a variable geometry turbo, experience tells me these are significantly less reliable than old fashioned waste gate turbos.

Reports and my limited experience in a 1.5tsi Octavia is it is slugglish to pick up at low speeds below 1500 rpm. Probably fuel saving when it is in "Miller cycle (Budack)" mode, and it takes a a couple of seconds for the cam phasers to adjust and turbo to spin up. 

The one I drove was eerily silent though.

Edited by xman
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, xman said:

It will probably come with the facelift at end of 2018. It will be interesting if they keep the 1.4 125ps variant in the base model.

The 1.5tsi does have significant advantages over the 1.4tsi, and does promise real world fuel economy gains. I would prefer it if it were available.

Downsides though

Unproven engine

Has a variable geometry turbo, experience tells me these are significantly less reliable than old fashioned waste gate turbos.

Reports and my limited experience in a 1.5tsi Octavia is it is slugglish to pick up at low speeds below 1500 rpm. Probably fuel saving when it is in "Miller cycle (Budack)" mode, and it takes a a couple of seconds for the cam phasers to adjust and turbo to spin up. 

The one I drove was eerily silent though.

Interesting points xman... I wonder indeed will they wait for the face-lift Superb to release the 1.5TSI as they did with the Octavia.

I think major engine changes only occur at Model Year changes or facelifts.

Interestingly, larger cars Kodiak, Superb, Passat, Audi A4 and others stick with 1.4 tsi, smaller cars Karok,Octavia ,Golf, Audi A3 have gone 1.5tsi

That may be telling us something (performance or market volume?)

• Like 1

Probably a volume thing - in the UK, Skoda sells more than twice as many Octavias as it does Superbs, for example (23,000 versus 10,000). Interestingly, VW shifts fewer Passats than Skoda sells Superbs.

59 minutes ago, MorrisOx said:

Probably a volume thing - in the UK, Skoda sells more than twice as many Octavias as it does Superbs, for example (23,000 versus 10,000). Interestingly, VW shifts fewer Passats than Skoda sells Superbs.

I'm not sure I get the point about volume. Are you guys saying that the newer tech engines are going to go into the higher volume selling cars first and then other models in time or newer tech engines will only go into higher volume sellers? Cheers

The 23,000 / 10,000 sales in the UK was in 2016. and then it was 20,000 Mk3 Fabia.

No idea on the 2017 numbers.

But with lots of luck the face lift Fabia this year will get the 1.5 TSI EVO 150 ps as a engine choice, probably not though.

Edited by AwaoffSki

1 hour ago, CTRob said:

I'm not sure I get the point about volume. Are you guys saying that the newer tech engines are going to go into the higher volume selling cars first and then other models in time or newer tech engines will only go into higher volume sellers? Cheers

You support the big sellers first because that’s where you’d take a big hit if perceptions of quality falter. The 1.5 TSi is in reality a small tweak over the 1.4 but across a range of big sellers it will deliver significant revenue increases.

• Thanks 1

Even if the 1.5TSI ACT eventually is an upgrade to the 1.4TSI ACT I wouldn't wait to buy this engine.

VAG has a dark recent history. All there TSI engine were tested in real life on real buyers. The first 1.4 with 122/140/160 was trouble. The next generation was the same. The 1.2TSI was another trouble. It seems only with its final two iterations the 1.4TSI (ACT) was a hit. The new 1.0TSI seems to be a hit too. So VAG tested on us for about 6 to 8 years until they've found the right engine.

Stay with the 1.4TSI ACT and let the others to test themselves the new 1.5. Anyhow on paper both engines share the same performance , so why wait ?

The 1.5TSI is due to 2019 facelift. It'll show on Paris and being on sale early '19.

PS. I placed an order on the 1.4 too. Still waitin'.

Edited by kpk1
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, kpk1 said:

Even if the 1.5TSI ACT eventually is an upgrade to the 1.4TSI ACT I wouldn't wait to buy this engine.

VAG has a dark recent history. All there TSI engine were tested in real life on real buyers. The first 1.4 with 122/140/160 was trouble. The next generation was the same. The 1.2TSI was another trouble. It seems only with its final two iterations the 1.4TSI (ACT) was a hit. The new 1.0TSI seems to be a hit too. So VAG tested on us for about 6 to 8 years until they've found the right engine.

Stay with the 1.4TSI ACT and let the others to test themselves the new 1.5. Anyhow on paper both engines share the same performance , so why wait ?

The 1.5TSI is due to 2019 facelift. It'll show on Paris and being on sale early '19.

PS. I placed an order on the 1.4 too. Still waitin'.

Interesting points kpk1 the dilemma I have is I already have as superb so if I change now I get the current model (which is fine I have very little negative points to state about it) but with the 1.4 TSI or if I wait 11 months or so I get the face-lift with newer tech and stop myself squirming each time I see a face-lift when it is released :) 

I think the downgrade from 280PS to 150PS is harsh :D and currently you're already running the Superb 3,

The facelift should bring the 2.0TSI 180PS Budack cycle (the same as on the Kodiaq). But a recent rumor didn't mention any replacement of the 1.8TSI, only the 1.4 with the 1.5. The new 2.0TSI Budack cycle is said to be fuel saving as it can be, performing very well. But the story repeats again, it is a new engine.

Hard to say which you should choose.

If you really want the facelift then you don't have that many choices but play your luck.

I almost forgot.

Are you running a DSG transmission ?

On the 280PS model you might have DSG6 DQ250 or the DSQ7 DQ500, right ?

On the 1.4/1.5 you'll get the DSG7 DQ200 with dry clutches . The fun is over. That DQ200 is all but problems and troubles especially if you drive in the city, bumper to bumper.

Even now the 1.8TSI is mated to the same DQ200 dry clutch gearbox, limiting the engine from 320Nm down to 250Nm, that being the maximum torque supported by the GB.

I hope the 2.0TSI 180PS Budack to be paired at least with DQ381 (wet clutch).

I don´t agree, that the "fun is over" with a DQ200. Yes, there has been issues - but it works great apart from that.

Acutally I ordered a new S3 1.4 TSI DSG yesterday, so I´m not scared.

In my country, only on the official VAG forum, there are hundreds of broken DSG7 (DQ200) cases. And these are only the known ones by the community. In reality off course there are many other cases. Those things happen under 20-60K miles too, on average.

The cost after warranty for the clutches and mechatronic are way too expensive.

Off course the DSG is pleasant to drive but the problems after warranty made me choose the manual GB.

Good luck !

Edited by kpk1
  • Like 1

It is harsh going from 280 to 150bhp I will admit but more and more I'm driving the car like it has 150bhp especially considering I'm in the car for about a grand total of about 1-1.5 hours a week.

In Ireland the only petrol models available are the 1.4 and the 2.0 (280bhp model).

• Thanks 1

Thousands or tens of thousands of DQ200 DSG around the world with issues, and a World Wide Recall.

Then 2013, and Mineral Oil used, and the Service Campaign on some 2013-2015.  Software Update.

Due to failures 2013-2017.

As to 2015 on, there are some reported as with issues, there are members in the Fabia Mk3 section reporting some.

But as it is Skoda have been producing a few million DQ200 since 2015.

Volkswagen ‘DSG issue’ is over, transformation of aftersales services underway _ Motor Trader Car News.mhtml

Volkswagen Passenger Cars Malaysia meets with customers, announces additional two-year DSG warranty - #MTHRFKNWIN.mhtml

ŠKODA produces 1.5 millionth DQ 200 dual-clutch transmission at Vrchlabí plant - ŠKODA Storyboard.mhtml

Edited by AwaoffSki