1.5 TSI coming to the Superb?

I do wish you wouldn't keep giving mhtml links, they don't work on my tablet.

Winters said Volkswagen Malaysia would improve its customers’ experience and strengthen the German marque with the introduction of a five-year manufacturer’s warranty and a three-year free maintenance programme for Volkswagen cars, effective January 1, 2018.

Annoyed at our treatment in the UK as one of VAG largest customers!

Edited by xman

9 hours ago, kpk1 said:

Even if the 1.5TSI ACT eventually is an upgrade to the 1.4TSI ACT I wouldn't wait to buy this engine.

VAG has a dark recent history. All there TSI engine were tested in real life on real buyers. The first 1.4 with 122/140/160 was trouble. The next generation was the same.

There were problems with the chain cam 1.4 engines especially the 160 PS twincharged version. But I have yet to read of issues with the belt cam engine that replaced it in 2013. I bought one of the first Leon 1.4 TSi 140 PS in 2013 and it was a great car, no problems. This was pre ACT which was introduced a couple of years later, initially on the 140 PS then upgraded to 150 PS. Now I have the 1.4 150 PS with ACT and again its a great engine, probably better mpg on the motorways even though the Superb is bigger than the Leon.

I would have no hesitation buying the new 1.5 TSi, its not an entirely new engine, its only an evolution. But if its really any better I have idea, more than happy with what I have.

Considering a 1.0 TSi 110 Fabia for the wifes next car in a few months.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, skidpan said:

There were problems with the chain cam 1.4 engines especially the 160 PS twincharged version. But I have yet to read of issues with the belt cam engine that replaced it in 2013. I bought one of the first Leon 1.4 TSi 140 PS in 2013 and it was a great car, no problems. This was pre ACT which was introduced a couple of years later, initially on the 140 PS then upgraded to 150 PS. Now I have the 1.4 150 PS with ACT and again its a great engine, probably better mpg on the motorways even though the Superb is bigger than the Leon.

I would have no hesitation buying the new 1.5 TSi, its not an entirely new engine, its only an evolution. But if its really any better I have idea, more than happy with what I have.

Considering a 1.0 TSi 110 Fabia for the wifes next car in a few months.

From all the reports I read the new 3 cylinder 1.0 TSI engine does not compare well with the outgoing 1.2 4 cylinder TSI. It is, apparently, lacking torque in comparison.

I have the 1.0 TSI in a Golf (115 bhp). It’s an amazing engine, and a lot better than the 1.2. It’s more powerful, more ‘revvy’, a lot more quiet and economical. Yes, it lacks torque below 1500 r/min, but so does most turbocharged smaller engines. 

The 1.0 3 cylinder does seem to be a good engine but long term the fact it'll have balancer shafts to keep it smooth may cause issues in the future (depends on how they are turned and what is shared with that drive mechanism =eg oil pump)

17 hours ago, Robbydazzler said:

From all the reports I read the new 3 cylinder 1.0 TSI engine does not compare well with the outgoing 1.2 4 cylinder TSI. It is, apparently, lacking torque in comparison.

The quoted torque figures gave the old 1.2 110 PS had 129 torques, the new 110 PS 1.0 has 149 torques, those figures suggest it has more.

But as we all know quoted figures are not everything.

Looking at recent a What Car test in a Leon the 1.2 TSi 110 PS did 0-60 in 10.3 30-50 in 3rd in 5.2, 30-50 in 4th in 7.3, 50-70 in 5th in 10.7 and 50-70 in 6th in 14.7.

Again from a recent Auto Express test the Golf 1.0 TSi 110 PS did 0-60 in 9.6 30-50 in 3rd in 4.1, 30-50 in 4th in 5.6, 50-70 in 5th in 8.1 and 50-70 in 6th in 10.2.

All the figures for the 1.0 are substantially better but I will reserve final judgement until I drive on the 14th when we have a Fabia with that engine for the full day. If its as good as the test suggests it will probably be the wifes next car.

We drove a Polo in 2015 with the 1.2 TSi 90 PS engine and it was totally carp. No in gear acceleration at all, our old 1.2 N/A Micra 80 PS was substantially quicker everywhere.

Reviewers and many others say its the low speed (under 1500 rpm) that is a little weak. i.e. tractability. It has low rotating mass, crankshaft etc, so possibly easier to stall at low revs when its in a heavy car than a larger 4 cylinder engine. Its not a plodder.

3 hours ago, skidpan said:

The quoted torque figures gave the old 1.2 110 PS had 129 torques, the new 110 PS 1.0 has 149 torques, those figures suggest it has more.

But as we all know quoted figures are not everything.

Looking at recent a What Car test in a Leon the 1.2 TSi 110 PS did 0-60 in 10.3 30-50 in 3rd in 5.2, 30-50 in 4th in 7.3, 50-70 in 5th in 10.7 and 50-70 in 6th in 14.7.

Again from a recent Auto Express test the Golf 1.0 TSi 110 PS did 0-60 in 9.6 30-50 in 3rd in 4.1, 30-50 in 4th in 5.6, 50-70 in 5th in 8.1 and 50-70 in 6th in 10.2.

All the figures for the 1.0 are substantially better but I will reserve final judgement until I drive on the 14th when we have a Fabia with that engine for the full day. If its as good as the test suggests it will probably be the wifes next car.

We drove a Polo in 2015 with the 1.2 TSi 90 PS engine and it was totally carp. No in gear acceleration at all, our old 1.2 N/A Micra 80 PS was substantially quicker everywhere.

I really have no axe to grind on this one as I have never driven a 1.0 TSI. As I said it is what I have read. A typical story is the one below from the Briskoda Rapid forum.....................

•  
  •  
  • MRSP
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Car:Fabia Scout 1.6Tdi CR Estate

Just taken delivery of my new Rapid Spaceback 1.0 litre 95 bhp 3 cylinder petrol.

Oh dear what a disaster !

Couldn't test drive one before ordering as dealer didn't have on.

I had a 1.2 86 bhp Spaceback previously.

Brilliant engine giving great economy with excellent performance and very quiet.

Dealer assured me that I 'would not notice a difference' with the new engine.

Wrong, wrong, wrong ! ! !

It sounds like a diesel and has no top end pulling power.

Previously I could run at 30mph easily in 4th and if on the level in 5th. Able to pull away without having to change down.

Now I have to use 3rd gear to do a steady 30 and it hates doing 40 in fourth and 5th is out of the question. Totally gut less.

No pulling away without changing down.

Total disaster.

I'm trying to get it changed for the 110 bhp but this is just as noisy or a 1.2 demonstrator but they are few and far between.

I want my 1.2 litre back but so far Skoda don't want to know.

Don't buy the 1.0 litre it's seriously bad.

Will keep you up to speed (see what I've done there) on progress.

• Thanks 1

My Golf 1.0 has less engine noise than my Superb 1.4... After I’ve had a Fabia 1.2 110 as a loaner for a week I can surely say, that I missed my 1.0 - it’s a better engine in all aspects. 

However, the soundproofing in the Golf is superior to Fabia/Rapid. 

• Like 1

So when do people speculate the facelift will be available to order? I'm hearing rumours from July/August 2018 to Jan/Feb 2019.

In terms of technology upgrades I'm hoping for LED / upgraded headlights, the audi virtual cockpit upgrade and I hope to goodness they have the option of electric front passenger seat this time around.

Edited by CTRob

It’ll be reprofiled lights, upgraded tech/equipment options, the 1.5 TSi, just may be a hybrid option (thought who knows whether that would come to the UK).

Edited by MorrisOx

7 minutes ago, MorrisOx said:

It’ll be reprofiled lights, upgraded tech/equipment options, the 1.5 TSi, just may be a hybrid option (thought who knows whether that would come to the UK).

A hybrid engine with 200+ hp would be very interesting indeed.

From what I've heard there will be a usual MY2019 in 2018, week 22, with minor upgrades and the FL will show in October at the Paris Auto show and in showrooms at the beginning of 2019.

The FL should bring:

Slightly updated design

Front Led lights (with matrix ?)

Active Info Display

Hybrid technology (same as Passat GTE)

Better integration of Infotainment

1.5TSI engine, with GPF

Edited by kpk1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, CTRob said:

Is that for the facelift model release or the next model year revision? Curious where did you source the info from?

Model year changes wk 22 every year. No idea if it will be facelift production start.

Coincidentally, June is the compulsory date for GPF's to be fitted to new petrol cars. (EU6c/d)

Edited by xman
  • Thanks 2

Was reading a What Car comparison on Golfs with 1.4 TSi and 1.5 TSi...and the 1.4 came out on top. Suggestion is that the way the 1.5 has been tuned to meet emission standards has robbed it of some of the 1.4’s low-end muscle.

So, don’t panic about waiting for the 1.5 to land in the Superb.

Edited by MorrisOx
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MorrisOx said:

Was reading an Auto Express comparison on Golfs with 1.4 TSi and 1.5 TSi...and the 1.4 came out on top. Suggestion is that the way the 1.5 has been tuned to meet emission standards has robbed it of some of the 1.4’s low-end muscle.

Will the hybrid use the 1.4 or 1.5tsi does anyone know?

1 hour ago, MorrisOx said:

Was reading a What Car comparison on Golfs with 1.4 TSi and 1.5 TSi...and the 1.4 came out on top. Suggestion is that the way the 1.5 has been tuned to meet emission standards has robbed it of some of the 1.4’s low-end muscle.

Was that a recent article? Link?

Some Octavia 3 members are experiencing some issues with the 1.5tsi so maybe it needs a couple of years more development before risking it.

Edited by xman

11 hours ago, MorrisOx said:

I drove the 1.5tsi in a Karoq and compared to my old 1.4tsi it felt sort of "hesitant" - I just put it down to only having 125 miles on the clock and/or petrol ( I usually use Shell vpower or Tesco Greenenergy 99). Don't get me wrong it drove OK - just somehow felt hesitant especially at lower revs

It's looking as though the 1.5tsi is going to be fitted with a GPF - I think I'll wait a while for the technology to stabilise  (or look out for one of the last 1.4tsi cars)

Edited by bigjohn

It’s not worth a link, Xman. I saw it in a paragraph at the end of a long-term test of an Octavia which referred to the comparison, said the 1.5 wasn’t as eager at low revs, but didn’t provide a link itself.

Sounds like a classic performance flat spot caused by the need to hit a test target.

Anyway, I’ve copied in the relevant section from the test:

In fact, it’s worth at this point taking some time to outline just how good that 1.4-litre motor really is. Later this year, it’s due to be replaced by a more environmentally friendly 1.5-litre unit that we’ve already tested in everything from the Skoda Karoq to the Volkswagen Golf. It’s a great engine, but in back-to-back testing, we’ve found that it doesn’t quite have the same flexibility as the 1.4, feeling weaker at the lower end of its rev range.

Edited by MorrisOx