Superb Tour De France - Spare Wheel Sizes?

Dear Esteemed Superb Owners.

I usually lurk on the Octavia II boards so new here. Hi. A friend has a Tour De France and was asking my advice on getting a spare wheel for her car. As I don't have access to see it (she lives a fair distance away) I thought I'd ask for advice here. I've no idea what is available. She'd quite like a full size spare but being 18" that is unlikely. What rim and tyre combo's are available to her and what will fit in the wheel-well in the boot? She will also need a jack and spanner as she has the goo stuff at the moment.

Many thanks

Nic.

Oooooh - I do like to be considered "esteemed"!  When I had BMW's I was considered a *****!  :)

The non-goo solution to the spare in a Superb II is a 205/55 R16 on a steel wheel inflated to 34 lbs or 2.4 bar .

Skoda call it a space saver but its not one of those skinny motorcycle type temp wheels, its a full size 16'. This wheel fits into the spare wheel well space in the boot and a foam insert with the jacks and other Skoda tools fits into the centre of that steel wheel. There are some empty spaces for trailer hitch parts if you have them.

Part number for the toolkit is 3T0071108 and for the wheel it is 3T0601012FL

Both from an Irish dealer would be about €186 Euro. They have been seen on eBay - used - for €60 upwards. 

gallery_142547_2007_26524.jpg

• Thanks 1

My 2014 estate had one of the spares RobinK describes. Although it is almost a full-size wheel it is quite a bit narrower than the standard ones on my car (225/40/R18) so would be quite a mismatch, especially if you had to use it on the front.

Also it is black with the yellow speed-limit marking. Although it is probably fine for normal speeds, I am not sure where you would stand insurance-wise were you to exceed the sticker speed.

When I put my winter wheels on I found that one of the standard wheels fits fine under the boot floor. Obviously the diameter is the same anyway but the extra 2 cm width is not a problem. So I have ditched the original spare.

We had the pleasure of having to drive on the spare on out TdF last week (waiting for our preferred garage to get the CrossClimate+ in to replace a burst tyre (pothole))

No signficant problems with the handling even though the spare was on the front axle.  The Halex had no problem with the mis-matched sizes over the 200 miles we drove with the odd wheel.

I'd recommend getting the 'original' spare wheel - there won't be any problems of getting it to fit, and it will be much cheaper to source.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just to update: She went with 16" steel that takes a 205/55/16 and is now very happy. Just need to source a tool-set and jack for her.

EDIT: is the tool set the one with the Scissor Jack or the standard VW "widow maker" style?

Edited by Golf-Fiend

19 minutes ago, Golf-Fiend said:

Just to update: She went with 16" steel that takes a 205/55/16 and is now very happy. Just need to source a tool-set and jack for her.

EDIT: is the tool set the one with the Scissor Jack or the standard VW "widow maker" style?

The latter.

Drefaldwyn