Kingroot

skomaz

Kingroot - anybody used it to root an Android phone??  Does it work?  Any good / bad points / risks etc.?

I ask as my daughter's phone has a load of bloatware on it that she'll never use so was thinking of rooting it and getting rid of some of the standard Android guff that is simply taking up space and I can't uninstall without rooting...

no banking apps or Android pay on the phone (wouldn't trust them!).

And nope - it's Android 6 so I don't seem to be able to - I can force stop and disable some of them (but some come back next time it's switched on) and only seem to be able to uninstall updates for some of them (not all).

The worst offenders are all the Google stuff she never uses - like the Google app (nearly 200Mb), Chrome (nearly 80Mb), Hangouts (40Mb), Google Music, Google Videos etc. plus some others that are part of the 'standard bloatware build'...   adding them up there must be over 500Mb of ****e on there...

It's annoying as whilst it has 2Gb of app storage and a 16Gb SD card in it also doesn't seem to want to transfer much to the SD card either...

Alcatel Pixi 4 4 (4034X)...  so not the best but does the job.  The SD card has supposedly been set as 'internal' storage and not removable...   but it's still telling me the internal is full when I know the SD card is empty...

Ive considered rooting our Tab S.

Between the android bloat and the samsung utter tripe...

Same issue really - cant uninstall, force a stop and they come back to life when you power off the thing and start it again. 

@skomaz if the sd is set as internal storafe then the phone is possibly using it as "Ram". I know my current htc gave me the option to set my sd card as internal storage for use as ram and storage but then told me the sd card (16gig sandisk 2yrs old) wasnt fast enough for ram purposes so it wouldnt let me set it up as such..

Edited by mac11irl

Cheers Mac that might be worth looking into as I seem to recall a message about the card being slow to format...   I'll take a look and might try it with another one although I thought I'd put a decent speed one in...

Currently it's bugging hell out of me...

EDIT - just thought - I have been able to move 'some' data etc. which might rule out Mac's thought?

Edited by skomaz

• 4 weeks later...

honestly throw it in the bin and get a decent phone harsh i know but you really do get what you pay for  with phones, have you looked at XDA developers? the Honor phones from Huawei are brilliant value especially the 6x or 9 bought the father in law the 6x and my mum the 9 both over 75 and both love em