Hello

Hi ( newbie ) 

I put my fabia (2011) in for service and it was a garage I had never used before ( car was collected from work and I collected it) they told me I needed a new water pump although I have never had any problems with my heating, no noises, no coolant leaking. They also said I needed a new egr and I was quoted £450 + I challenged them and said I had no reason to suspect the water pump was faulty and the egr valve doesn’t cost that much. I was told this egr valve is underneath the car not in the engine block and is more difficult to get to hence the high quote, I said I thought cars only had 1 egr and the reply I was given was the mechanic has worked on Volkswagens for years and knows them like the back of his hand and it’s definately the egr valve underneath he knows what he is talking about. Now, I am a female and I feel that someone thought they might rip me off. Of course I didn’t sanction the work to be done and paid for the service and drove away. I have never had any problems with my car since this and wondered if anyone can answer my query? Do Fabias have a 2nd egr valve ? And if my water pump was faulty what signs would I be having ?? This was 1 year ago and is due it’s full service and mot in 2/52. 

Edited by Kazza2013

I'm only aware of 1 EGR valve in a VW group engine ranges and none under the engine. I remember in a older 1.6 golf MK5 I think they were at the rear of the engine and polo's had them at the front but none underneath. Your water pump can go is several ways. Worst would be a leak coming form the belts side of the engine. A squeaking belt could indicate the pully on it is sticking and overheating (over 100 degrees) as the water isn't being circulated. 

I think the expression 'underneath the engine' is the misleading factor here. If the garage had said the valve is at the back of the engine in a fairly inaccessible place - this would be more accurate.

That aside, I have an element of doubt as to this garages credibility - it seems that the person who reported the problems to you, does not really understand the message he conveyed to you. He should (from experience) have qualified where the egr valve was.

If you have had no problems or warning lights on the dash (?) - I would go to a more reputable place.

If you've had no problems, overheating, loss of coolant, engine warning lights then they were just trying it on probably because you're a woman. They probably do it all the time, don't actually change anything and charge for work not done, which is FRAUD.

Well done for sticking to your guns.

I presume you have a 1.6tdi. I had a failed EGR on mine which had a yellow coil warning light (the glow plug light that stays on for a few seconds when you turn the ignition on. I cannot remember weather it was flashing or permanent. It was replaced under warranty. I have had a water pump fail (Ford Orion) but that came with a loud screeching sound.

if you have no warning lights, leaks or unusual noises I would ignore this garage and never return.

Edited by m8t