Problem with variable wiper timing.

:wondering:  My Octavia 3 has now done 70000 + miles with great satisfaction and economy  (1.6 tdi).   However the  only two faults I have found during my last 2 yrs. seem to be a nuisance and Very expensive to cure - 1.  No real bother but had three unsuccessful attempts to have fixed under guarantee  on my  Auto dipping  operation.   It worked OK initially but then stopped progressively.  Never had a previous car with this so do not really miss it.   2.  The selective  timing wiper mechanism has  packed up.  It goes  "mad"  if operated on "auto"  in one position   so I tend to ignore  it and use entirely on or off.   I took it up briefly with supplier but was told it could be very costly and well outside guarantee.   Any one with similar "faults"?   Baz?

just a guess but have you checked the sensor on the windscreen is 1 clean and 2 is it still attached correctly to the screen as I have read of them coming away from the screen 

Very many thanks for suggestions.  Yes I have checked the screen "sensor"  though obviously  just by looking.   It appears correct and clean.  I have not had a new screen - yet - but am thinking about it as present one is badly scratched due to high mileage before I acquired it.  The sensor was suggested as being a possible cause, but I believe rather expensive to renew?  As stated, the problems are not sufficiently "annoying" to me to want a  very  large bill for remedying the fault/s,  (I'm 84)  but might take it further with dealer for estimate.   Will let you know results!  Nonrev.

Have had 2 Octavia 3's, the auto-dipping (intelligent light assist or whatever Skoda call it) has been useless on both and I never use it. The auto wipers worked great until about 50,000 miles and now are pretty useless too. In auto, they either don't switch on, or stay in intermittent  during heavy rain, then will go full speed in the dry. I have stopped using them too. Great cars on the whole for the money, but quality of the technology sucks, but that really seems to be a European car thing.

5 hours ago, HotVRs said:

Have had 2 Octavia 3's, the auto-dipping (intelligent light assist or whatever Skoda call it) has been useless on both and I never use it. The auto wipers worked great until about 50,000 miles and now are pretty useless too. In auto, they either don't switch on, or stay in intermittent  during heavy rain, then will go full speed in the dry. I have stopped using them too. Great cars on the whole for the money, but quality of the technology sucks, but that really seems to be a European car thing.

I haven't had any issues with mine. The high beam assist has been very good with very few times I've needed to override it. No issues with the wipers either than sometimes needing to adjust the sensitivity. 

1 hour ago, ahenners said:

I haven't had any issues with mine. The high beam assist has been very good with very few times I've needed to override it. No issues with the wipers either than sometimes needing to adjust the sensitivity. 

Same here, both auto wipers and HBA work fine I would say at least 90% of the time.

Thank you for your interest.  I am somewhat puzzled by your  explanation "adjusting sensitivity"?    I don't know how the sensitivity can be adjusted, as on my vehicle it seems to be pre-set and non-adjustable?  Explain please.  Nonrev.

The switch on the wiper stalk adjusts the automatic wiper sensitivity. If auto wipers are disabled or not fitted it adjusts the intermittent frequency instead.

Edited by Rodge