MK2 Octavia to Rapid

Hi everyone,

My current MK2 Octavia 1.9 TDI is on its last legs and I need to get a newer car.  I've been looking at MK3 Octavias but they are a little over my budget.  My main attraction to both the MK3 Octavia and the Rapid is the boot space.  I have test driven both of them and preferred the Octavia, but might have to compromise and get a Rapid instead.  But I've read lots of reviews with people saying that long term they are not so nice to drive.  How many of you guys made the move from MK2 Octavia to Rapid and how is it going?

Thanks,

Jim    

Can't help you with the Octavia comparison as I've never owned one. One thing I noticed when looking at Rapids, they are hard to tell apart from the Octavia, when looking I had to chaeck on the rear end badge to make sure it was a Rapid I was looking at. Some owners and/or reviews put them into the smaller car bracket, they probably are smaller but not that small. There's more leg room in the back of mine than a Jag X type, which brings me around to mine, a Toledo it's more specced up stablemate.

Have a test drive of the Rapid and or Toledo to find out for yourself but I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you a more precise answer.

I've had 2 Mk II Octavia's and currently drive 

2 hours ago, jimjazzuk said:

Hi everyone,

My current MK2 Octavia 1.9 TDI is on its last legs and I need to get a newer car.  I've been looking at MK3 Octavias but they are a little over my budget.  My main attraction to both the MK3 Octavia and the Rapid is the boot space.  I have test driven both of them and preferred the Octavia, but might have to compromise and get a Rapid instead.  But I've read lots of reviews with people saying that long term they are not so nice to drive.  How many of you guys made the move from MK2 Octavia to Rapid and how is it going?

Thanks,

Jim    

Hi Jim,

I've had 2 Mk II Octavia's (1.8 TSi hatch and 4x4 combi) and currently drive a SEAT Toledo (Rapid clone). I previously owned both a Rapid hatch and latterly a Spaceback.

Whilst the Rapid is certainly built to a price (and somewhat less plush than an Octavia), I've never felt especially short changed driving a Rapid. The ride is less sophisticated (torsion beam rear suspension on the Rapid vs fully independent on the Mk II Octavia's), but the Rapid drives well enough, given it's price point.

I'm not a fan of the 1.6 CR TDi and strongly favour either the 1.2 TSi, or newer 1.0 TSi petrol engines. I had a 1.6 CAR TDi (105 BHP) in a Roomster and it proved less economical than the 1.9 TDi it replaced!

The cabin on the Rapid is noticeably narrower than an Octavia, but as you've seen the boot (on the hatch) is genuinely massive / comparable to an Octavia.

The cabin in the Rapid is a little "low rent" and often reminds me of the several Mk I Octavia's I'd previously owned - again quite understandable, given it's a budget offering.

The Mk III Octavia didn't impress me though and when looking for a second car I chose the Rapid.

On 2/5/2018 at 00:03, pinkpanther said:

The cabin in the Rapid is a little "low rent" and often reminds me of the several Mk I Octavia's I'd previously owned - again quite understandable, given it's a budget offering.

Yes thinking about it I see what you mean. I still have my old mkI Octavia and when I had a Rapid 1.2 whilst my Superb was in for a service it did seem rather familiar. I liked the 1.2tsi engine and the car was pretty quiet. One thing to note is compared to earlier Rapids I'e driven the ride is great. It wasn't as refined as my Superb II but it was still pretty good.

On 05/02/2018 at 00:03, pinkpanther said:

Personally I've never understood this criticism of the Rapid.  If you ignore the arm rest (which is awful) then to me it's one of the biggest selling points - it's much nicer to look at than e.g. a Ford Focus.

I had a Mk2 Octavia vRS a few years ago, and my wife now has a Rapid Spaceback.  I will say the Octavia certainly felt much more solid, both in build quality and the way it drives.  The Rapid feels to me like it has a lot of body flex, and it feels like the rear is always catching up with what the front is doing.

Having said that, the Rapid is a great car for the price and has a lot going for it!

5 hours ago, naxtek said:

Personally I've never understood this criticism of the Rapid.  If you ignore the arm rest (which is awful) then to me it's one of the biggest selling points - it's much nicer to look at than e.g. a Ford Focus.

I had a Mk2 Octavia vRS a few years ago, and my wife now has a Rapid Spaceback.  I will say the Octavia certainly felt much more solid, both in build quality and the way it drives.  The Rapid feels to me like it has a lot of body flex, and it feels like the rear is always catching up with what the front is doing.

Having said that, the Rapid is a great car for the price and has a lot going for it!

My statement regarding the interior "quality" of the Rapid wasn't meant as a criticism, rather an observation.

I certainly agree it is good for the price and more than stands comparison with other budget offerings - I sat in a few Dacia's and they are truly awful in comparison.

I was merely referring to the lack for high density plastics on the dashboard / lack of other niceties, such as one-touch up / down for all electric windows etc.

The arm rest is a virtual copy of that in my old Mk 1 Octavia, although the current (Mk III) Fabia has a similar set-up.

I know what you mean about body flex, which is no doubt as a consequence of the relatively old platform the Rapid / Toledo is based upon. Saying this I've driven a Mk III Octavia (1.4 TSi) and the lack of independent rear suspension lets that car down, as the older (Mk II) had a fully independent rear suspension set-up across the board.

I fully agree that when considered on a value for money basis the Rapid offers a lot of car for the money (I have now owned 3 of them:thumbup:)

23 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Yes thinking about it I see what you mean. I still have my old mkI Octavia and when I had a Rapid 1.2 whilst my Superb was in for a service it did seem rather familiar. I liked the 1.2tsi engine and the car was pretty quiet. One thing to note is compared to earlier Rapids I'e driven the ride is great. It wasn't as refined as my Superb II but it was still pretty good.

The ride is very dependent upon both the year of the car, and which wheel / tyre combination is fitted.

My first Rapid - 2013 Elegance was an early car and had 16" alloys / 215/45/16 tyres. The ride wasn't great, but I'd describe it as adequate. The second Rapid was a 2014 Spaceback and this had better steering and suspension comfort than the earlier car, despite being fitted with the same wheel / tyre combo of the 2013 car.

My current (2017) Toledo has a poor ride, more than likely due to the 17" alloys / 215/40/17 tyres. I'm currently running around with my 15" steel rims / 185/60/15 winter tyres, which offer the best ride comfort of all (despite the obvious aesthetic deficiencies :dry:).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been considering replacing my Mk2 Octavia which is now at 208,000 miles and have been considering a Rapid, I've driven one or two as courtesy cars over the past few years. I'm torn, don't know whether to keep my Octavia going (it's a L&K, so she's nicely specced) - or bite the bullet and get a Rapid. I'd like another Octavia, can't really justify the expense though and I also didn't realise that the rear suspension isn't independent anymore on the Octy. The Rapid would be practical for me given the huge boot.

I previously had a mk2 Octy, and have test driven mk3’s. Whilst my yeti was having work done I had a rapid as a loan car and didn’t like it.  Boot space was nice but found that I had to have the seat pushed right back and even that still felt cramped (i am 6’2” and 17 stone) It was no where near as spacious as the Octy in the cabin and didn’t find it as nice to drive either although it was only a pauper spec rapid.  Obviously it’s completely down to your own needs and requirements but I found it a far cry from the Octy in terms of space and interior quality especially the hard scratchy plastics.