Help - Which Spec to choose, and to 4x4 or not.

Hi Everyone.  Hope you can help.  I think we have decided on a Kodiak.  Have spent the day looking at specifications, and have picked the equipment we'd like.
Can someone help push us in the right direction when it comes to model please.  We know what we want in terms of kit - so this is our issue - 

2.0 TDI SE 7 DSG  seat - Will add metallic paint and leather interior plus a few bits such as heated windscreen/heated seats etc.  will cost about £27,750
or
2.0 TDI SE L DSG 7 Seat .  As above with extras - will cost £930 more.  Sat Nav included as are heated seats.

or

2.0 TDI Edition 7 seat.  As above.  will cost £960 more than the SE L.  - With the addition of Lane assist /Electric adjustable front seats(do they have memory for two drivers?) / light assist. silver rails

I think I have ruled out the SE.  I guess my choice is, is it worth an additional £960 for the additional features  - Any thoughts anyone?

The other final question is whether or not we should get the 4x4 version - Not a massive need for it regularly I don't think - We live in a pretty rural spot - and can get snowed in for a day or two a year - but not sure that is enough reason to pay the extra - Any compelling reason to get it do you think?

We have a 61 plate Octavia - which we are keeping with 120,000 miles on the clock - so I've no need to be convinced Skoda is the right thing to do.

Plenty to read here I know - but hope someone has some useful input - 

Thanks.

Charlie. 

I’m biased. SEL is the one to go for. With as few sensible extras as possible.

Overloading an SE model is rarely cost effective.

And an Edition is just OTT.

If you just want to try 4x4 for the first time, then just go for it. It’s what I did.

But no one can make your mind up for you. 

8 minutes ago, charlie71 said:

do they have memory for two drivers?

Yes.

For me, the SE L was looking like the best choice - but I decided I wanted ACC and the stuff in the Assistance Pack... which makes more sense if you go for the Edition because it ends up about the same cost due to having to pay for Lane Assist etc on the SE L.

If you’re not bothered about the driver aids, the Edition doesn’t really make all that much sense from a cost perspective.

As for 4x4, I personally don’t think it is worth it unless you regurlarly drive on crappy roads and/or in crappy weather. I don’t doubt that it makes sense for those in Yorkshire or the Lakes or Highlands, but for those in the south of England like you and me, it just adds weight and increases fuel consumption for little if any benefit. It is still not an off-road vehicle, even with an off-road mode.

I'm curious to know why you're opting for the TDI engines and not any of the TSi engines??

Diesel engines are being 'demonised' by the Government and I can see the road fund licence creeping op over the next few years, I can also see insurance companies charging extra for diesel engines, and also owns, cities & local authorities charing you extra to park it.

Have you also noticed the first three letters of diesel are 'DIE' :o

I have test driven a 5 seat Edition with a 1.5 TSi engine and it was surprisingly spritely. 

Thanks for the input guys. I guess I know the SE is out of the frame and this pretty sparse. I can't live without leather heated seats or sat nav.  

The SE L looks most sensible,but for £960 I get a bunch of additional toys and the silver roof rails I quite like!   I'm going to see if I can arrange an extended test drive this week.  

As for the diesel/petrol choice.. it's been decided on fuel economy and  future resale value.

Diesel starting with 'Die' didn't really feature in my choice!

Nice pics boxerboy.

Charlie 

11 minutes ago, DaveMiller said:

Think seriously about having the reversing camera.  I was uncertain, but "treated" myself - now, I reckon I could hardly do without it!

I was uncertain whether to have the camera or not as well, but I managed to add it to my order yesterday.

10 hours ago, Macdemon said:

Have you also noticed the first three letters of diesel are 'DIE' :o

Have you also noticed the last three letters of diesel are 'SE L' B)

Edited by freedie
  • Like 1

Isn't is AMAZING how things work out.

I think EVERY new home should come with a rescue cat.

Mainly because rescue cats can find forever homes, and secondly, the word 'homeowner' also has the word 'meow' in it haha.

I went for the Edition, I worked out that for the difference in monthly price between the SEL with my options added and the edition was less than 20 quid, however the edition came with additional kit that would have cost me 55pm to add to the SEL trim, so for the less than 20 quid it was worth just going to the Edition.

I am replacing a company car (Mazda CX5 Sport Nav) so was looking for similar spec for roughly the same price and I have managed that.

Thanks elephantstone. Nice to get back on topic...!  

I've just done a similar calculation. I'll be buying mine and plan to keep it at least 6 years,so by that logic it's about £14 a month for the additional kit.  

Seems more straightforward to me that way!

May even be less as hopefully it will be worth a little more as an 'edition' when I eventually sell it on.  

Charlie. 

Hi Charlie,

You might have your mind made up on diesel, but just out of curiosity what is your annual mileage?

The reason I ask is you cite fuel economy and residuals as the reason for choosing diesel.

You need to be doing in excess of 20,000 miles per year to offset the higher purchase price of a diesel engined car and the higher pump price of diesel fuel, and even then the cost difference is marginal.

In 6 years from now, especially if the hatred towards diesel continues then residuals on petrol's might well have overtaken diesels?

I'm not trying to put you off diesel, some people simply prefer the torque and driving styles offered by a diesel engine. I am in a similar situation, spending too long working out what to do, I too am looking to buy a Kodiaq. We do approx 9-10,000 miles a year and we're set on the 1.4 TSI 4x4 manual.

You've made the right decision to discount the SE. The larger (19") alloy wheels, LED headlights, folding mirrors, heated front seats, Columbus sat nav, electric boot and keyless entry easily justify the extra cost for the SE L.

You haven't mentioned how you intend to finance the car (perhaps intentionally, sorry to pry), but this makes a big difference.

You've priced up a 2.0 TDI DSG SE L at £28,680.

There are a few nearly new ones cropping up on Autotrader now, here is a 17 plate with less than 9,000 miles for over £2,000 less than brand new...

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201801162809236?radius=1500&model=KODIAQ&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=New&advertising-location=at_cars&make=SKODA&fuel-type=Diesel&transmission=Automatic&postcode=yo325zs&sort=price-asc&page=1

Be aware that the current deal on brand new (£2,000 deposit contribution, £1,000 loaded Mastercard (to spend on whatever you want) and two free services) ends at the end of March. Unfortunately Skoda won't let on what the Q2 deal from April will consist of.

Hi Silver1011 - Thanks for your post. 

It certainly made me go back and recalculate everything at lunchtime today..!

Our mileage is about 17,500 a year, so pretty sure diesel will be the way to go for us. 

Planning to buy the car outright, but taking advantage of the £2k contribution and settling it (rather than cancelling it) a day or two afterwards. Done a little research on this - Seems perfectly 'OK' and will still get the £1000 fuel card and 2 services. 

I've seen the cars on autotrader - but for an extra £2k I'd rather put the first 9k miles on myself I think :)

I came up with this 'nifty' calculation to help decide whether it is worth getting the TSI or the TDI - using Skoda's fuel consumption figures.  For me it should be the 4th year that the diesel option makes more sense based on around £500 a year saving.  Is there anything else I should consider?  I've not looked at the tax bands for the different engines. 

I also think that - 

. The drive will be better than the TSI.  (I have an Octavia with the 1.4TSI engine at the moment with 120,000 miles on it) - It's not a slouch - but may be different dragging the Kodiaq.

. Difficult to know given the diesel/petrol future, but I still think that the diesel will be worth more than the petrol in 6 years..(who knows?!)

. Diesel engines traditionally last longer than petrol (although our Octavia is doing very nicely at 6.5 years old!)

Also I think it is likely we are taking the Edition version - rather than the SE L. 

Any thoughts on my calculations or thinking anyone?

Thanks lots - 

Charlie. 

TDIvsTSI.xlsx

Your calculations look fine to me.

Sometimes its not always about the numbers. If the diesel feels nicer to drive and suits the car and your driving style better then that is often worth paying a premium for.

I have to be honest, we've not test driven any Kodiaq yet, I too may think the 150PS 1.4 TSI doesn't quite work in a car like the Kodiaq.

Good luck in your choice, my wife has her heart set on a Scout. We've been offered a standard 1.4 TSI manual, unregistered one in black from Skoda's central stock for £27, 465.

No doubt someone else will be along with their thoughts too.

Happy to see another fellow choose the Kodiaq. Your mind is set for the 7 seats and can’t take them out in the UK spec.

I took them as a paid option, but as of today ( 5k kms ) we have used the last row a total of one time: only useful for children / teens and getting in/out is not easy.

Anyway - it makes perfect sense from my eyes to take the Edition - you won’t be dissapointed - I love the cameras around, heated windscreen and the DSG.

I hope the engine will loosen up with a few more miles on it - 190 PS diesel.

Last word: my old 2nd gen Superb 170 PS was faster then the Kodiaq 190 PS.

Enjoy the new car!

Andy

Hi Y'all

I went for the 190 Edition with various cameras as I do tend to get into places where rocks lurk ready to ding the unsuspecting, and I have found it indispensable.  The reverse pointing camera is exceptional in that you can see your bumper, and you can then inch backward to within a millimetre of the panic- struck old man behind.

I also am quite fond of gadgetry and the electronic doo-flix that come with this car are great. Overall, including auto lights, auto-dim, auto wipers, this car is almost poised to drive itself, and is for my money, the best car I've ever driven.  It isn't like my two Yetis that put a huge mischievous grin on my face every time I drove them, as they were just terrific tall go-carts.  No - the Kodiaq quite simply puts a (smug and self-satisfied) smile on the face as it represents automotive perfection, to me, in that it does exactly what is required.  Nothing slides off seats on cornering, as it appears to do so in a level manner;  it accelerates like dung off a shovel when in Sport mode, or like a boring ol' pharrt when in Eco mode (which scolds me occasionally......); it will return nearly 50 mpg on a level, steady drive along the Wye Valley, or low 30s if pushed hard.  

It is extremely comfy and the leccy seats minutely adjustable, though the "leather" on them doesn't allow one to slide ones bum about in order to regain that comfy spot.  The facilities with 7 seats, load carrying, hidden towball, electric tailgate, all conspire to please, as does the surprisingly quiet progression on even the poorest Welsh B roads.

A Brilliant Car.  Full Stop.

• Like 1