Retrofit bonnet strut

The video posted by silverden is self-explanatory, but if anyone wants a translation of the Polish subtitles anyway, here you go:

Bonnet strut installation - Skoda Octavia III

List of parts needed:

• 2 x 52 cm gas struts;
  • 2 x ball stud bolts, M8 thread; 2 x ball stud bolts, M6 thread; washers
  • 10 & 13 mm sockets
  • M10 socket key

Installation:

• Unscrew the bonnet fixing bolt (with socket key)
  • Unscrew the wing fixing bolt
  • Screw in the ball stud bolts in place of the removed bolts
  • Attach the gas struts
  • Repeat on the other side
  • Unfortunately, before attaching the gas struts, we didn't drop the bonnet stay  :-)
  • So we had to temporarily unclip the gas struts again at one end
  • And the final effect
  • Thanks for watching

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, that being the case has anyone that has carried out this mod had any issues with the struts, Noises, loose M8,M6 bolts etc?

I’ve ordered the parts and will fit once they arrive but just wanted to know if there are any potential issues to look out for after fitting?

cheers

Thanks Sasha, I guess if it’s fitted right it should be fine. I was wondering wether to leave the original on for a month or so just in case or just take it off straight away. 

@NikTheGeek There are loads on eBay so many that I was concerned about not getting the right ones or a cheaper copy. I ordered from a place called Opie Oils based in Cornwall, £25.75 including postage, 350 Nm ejection force. Here’s a link, they still have them in stock:

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-186684-gas-spring-fits-vw-audi-febi-bilstein-27709.aspx

I bought a pair but only needed to fit one, have kept the other for my neighbour, they were dirt cheap on E-bay, less than a tenner the pair I'm sure and came with several sets of different ball ends.

Fitting to the RHS was easy and I just used a suitable washer in the hole that held the rubber grommet for the OE stay to make up the diameter and a pair of clamping washers either side, at the bottom end the ball joint stud fitted straight into one of the wing bolt holes. I gave the pistin rod a slight tweak at the end to stop it being strained.

I did not fit a reinforcing bracket at the top, if you open and close it with care there is no more load or deflection than given by the OE spindly stay.

Found the listing, they were £7.28 delivered with the different end fittings when I bought them:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Bonnet-Boot-Gas-Struts-Bootlids-Tailgates-Parts-Hatchback-Ball-Studs-55CM/132708377524?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

19 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I bought a pair but only needed to fit one, have kept the other for my neighbour, they were dirt cheap on E-bay, less than a tenner the pair I'm sure and came with several sets of different ball ends.

Fitting to the RHS was easy and I just used a suitable washer in the hole that held the rubber grommet for the OE stay to make up the diameter and a pair of clamping washers either side, at the bottom end the ball joint stud fitted straight into one of the wing bolt holes. I gave the pistin rod a slight tweak at the end to stop it being strained.

I did not fit a reinforcing bracket at the top, if you open and close it with care there is no more load or deflection than given by the OE spindly stay.

Found the listing, they were £7.28 delivered with the different end fittings when I bought them:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-Bonnet-Boot-Gas-Struts-Bootlids-Tailgates-Parts-Hatchback-Ball-Studs-55CM/132708377524?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Ordered, thanks. At that price, it's worth a go!! :)