Main dealers - free courtesy cars and drop-offs?

docc

Just curious about this one, but I know there's a lot of experience in here!

Skoda main dealers probably have to follow some Skoda guidelines on this, subject to local discretion, but what's the normal position outside London?

1  Are courtesy cars (servicing) normally totally free, or is there a charge?

2  As an alternative free lifts home are often offered.  Is a lift of 12 miles or so an unreasonable distance?  And are lifts back again from home also the norm?  Would I be unreasonable in requesting lifts home (and back to the dealership) for that sort of distance?

will depend on the dealership policy

Some will give you a car free of charge. But could be restricted due to age or points on your licence. You will also find that you would be liable for the excess which is quite high

Most dealers will give lifts and some will even collect the car from your home or work

2 hours ago, docc said:

Thanks - is that 12 mile lift back home (and then back to the dealership to collect the car) reasonable?

There are too many unknown variables to answer that;

For instance my commute to work could take 50 minutes or over 2 hours, depending on time of day. 

It's nearly as quick  for me to pick my wife up from work 19 miles away than it is for me to attend my local hospital 6.9  miles away, because one route mainly involves motorway and the other,  ball achingly stop start traffic. 

Ultimately it would be down to what the dealerships policy was. 

In my experince, when the dealer is discussing the service with you, the offer of either a courtesy car or lift is always there. 

Then you find the next few available service slots, the courtesy car is booked out, and the waiting list for it then becomes another couple of months for your service if you want a courtesy car. 

Also the promise of the lift when you drop your car in is always there.  When you arrive, you have to again ask for you lift, and it then becomes a bit of an inconvenience, erm, erm we were not told etc.  

Maybe thats just me.  

Theres always something with disappoints every single time I have been to a dealer.

I have always had good experience with the Local Skoda Dealer.

I always request a courtesy car - no charge - just replace the fuel you use.  And usually if you drop off early enough, you have your pick of the cars they have on the loaner fleet.  I've driven an Octavia, Rapid (both hatch and spaceback) a Fabia and a Yeti.  The insurance excess tends to be £1000-£1200 but I've never had a crash.

I've used the loan car to drive to Manchester and back from Doncaster, and they've had no problems with the mileage done.

Audi used to do the same, but also offer a charge of £35 to remove the excess.