Caravan Towing

LeeBB

Hi,

Half considering a caravan. Does the Superb make a reasonable row car?

Advice as to the cars tow limit and also what it would reasonably tow appreciated.

I have the TDi 150 DSG hatch.

I think the Caravan Club recommends never exceeding 80-85% of the weight of the tow car with the trailer unless very experienced.  The S3 should make a perfectly adequate tow car with the 150bhp engine.  The DSG should be fine too, especially if the 6-speed wet clutch (or newer 7-speed wet clutch is fitted.

The plate on the B-pillar will give you your maximum trailer load and the nose-weight limit is 90kgs I think.

Might be a daft question (and not trying to be rude), but have you (and any co-drivers) got the right ‘group’ on your licence?  You need a towing test if you took your driving test after 01/01/97.   ;)

Not sure how Škoda play this, but if you have a factory towbar, check whether all the circuits are wired in.  Not all manufacturers wire the caravan fridge or switched 12V circuits into the 13-pin connector.

Edited by FelisBengalensis

After towing a 1000kg trailer I must say that the superb is Okey.

It's quite fuel aggressive @ 1litre /10km (190tdi DSG 4x4).

Our D4 AT AWD uses less fuel under these circumstances.

In Sweden my car is allowed to tow 2200kg - never tried but I can't imagine it feeling "nippy" with that kind of load.

I've been towing with a 190 SEL Exec for the last 12months...about 5500 tow miles. The van is max weight 1500kg. single axle.

The Superb is an effortless tow car, very stable and about 26/29mpg whilst towing.

Wouln't hesitate to recommend one.

I've towed with an xc90..Tiguan..C70..and the Superb is at least as good as any of these. The XC90 especially has an excellent reputation as a tow car.

HTH.