Diagonally swapped tyres - now lumpy ride

First proper dry day yesterday since I bought my Monte last month, and been itching to get my rear wheels off to paint my flaky drums.  Noticed  drivers front rim was already kerbed in a couple spots, and the passenger rear is like new, so thought i would swap the good one to the least vulnerable side,.  Went out today (I was passenger) and feels really lumpy on the passenger side, but more like the front than the rear where I swapped the wheel to.  Hubby was driving and couldn't feel anything through the steering, but I could hear a rotational noise as we sped up and slowed down especially on smooth roads.

All we have changed is the wheels, we inspected the tyres when they were off the car and they all seem good, no damage obvious.  Walls look fine, no bulges. I know tyres wear at different rates, but I rarely replace more than one at the time, so always going to have different ages on same axle at some point.  I am assuming its a balancing issue, but which wheel?  Feels like front passenger side to me, but we didn't swap this one.  Don't really want to have to take them all off to balance.  Might swap them back just to prove it goes away, but surely, all wheels should fit anywhere on the car, and my tyres are not directional, so not sure why there is an issue?  Any ideas please?  Thanks

Best just back to front, front to back.   

Move as a pair. ie Pair from front to rear, pair from rear to front.

The roads are cambered, the tyres take a bit of a set. 

If doing diagonal swaps with non directional tyres you want to do it often maybe a few times a year.

The rear tyres on a Fabia can take a shape, most though with the 205/40 R 17 tyres.

Have you checked all 4 tyre pressures?

(When pressures are reset remember to reset the TPMS.)

PS

?

What brand of tyres are fitted on the Monte, and are they the original size, 205/40R 17 still?

Edited by AwaoffSki

Thanks, I am sure I saw a pic of the rotational diagram with diagonal swaps.  I have the standard 205/40R's.  Checked all pressures yesterday after I'd swapped them.  Bit loathed to change them back really, as the best condition wheels are now on the driver's side where they are safest from the kerb.  Might swap the front to back on passenger side and see if that makes any difference.

I guess the "set" will wear level if I put up with it ... don't do a lot of miles or fast roads, so might take a while :dull:

Edited by KernowMaid

?

What brand is on the car.

By taking a set i mean they deform a bit and get shaped, not just wear. (like a 'shampoo & set'... kind of thing, they get shaped.)

The rears of a vRS / Monte are sometimes easily seen as out of shape and pretty useless when on the front after a long time on the rear.

post-86161-0-97650900-1459325208.jpg.ca44cbf95b8c6919857988bc80fd0956.jpg

post-86161-0-01613600-1451087468.jpg.772f2c2c933ff268e4cae2936c3488c5.jpg.be4f3985ad77473d765382971ee76ef1.jpg

Edited by AwaoffSki

...Additionally, if swapping diagonally, you will turn the wheel around, so to speak (As will swapping left to right, etc) So you MIGHT find the direction of the tyre has been reversed. Some tyres have a direction of rotation so going against this will cause an affect. This may be unsteady or even dangerous handling. Check the sidewalls for an arrow or signs of rotational direction. If in doubt, don't do it without finding out first! If tyres are directional, only front to rear is possible, without removing tyres and re-fitting. The comments around swapping are valid to a degree. If you are very regular to swap though, and rotation is not an issue, the afore mentioned wear to the tyres will be limited so the life of theatres should be extended. This will most likely be low mileage swaps though, say around a thousand miles or so. (Guesstimate, no factual mileage).  If you are this fussy, the changes will also allow you to fully inspect each tyre all over... Tread, BOTH sidewalls, along with brake pad/disc wear etc. Don't forget though, front and rear tyres may well have different pressures too. They will need adjusting to accommodate...

Edit;, I just noticed you said they are not directional so they SHOULD be able to go on any axle... Be sure also, to make sure they are bolted on properly. Usually, tighten each bolt in a kind of diagonal rotation, so as to ensure the wheel sits flat against the hub. Tighten to a hand tightness, lower the vehicle, then tighten to specified torque. Check again after around a hundred miles. 

Edited by mrgf