New Cupra Ibiza

Tim1631

My thoughts are Cupra as a brand won’t last.  People will just call this a Seat Ibiza Cupra, and a Seat Ateca Cupra (when it arrives). 

The car looks good though. Will wait for better pics to properly decide. 

• Thanks 1

A major part of the story will be if the Cupra Ibiza is to be a 5 door.  

If it is to stay a 3 door that will be limiting it's appeal, but give some people something they want as VW Group drop 3 door mid sized cars.

So, Seat are trying to do what Citroen did with DS is what it reads like..

Whuch was citroen doing what BMW did buying Mini name rights.

Its a **** looking badge design imo, but tbf performance wise cupras have most always been good...

15 hours ago, SC03OTT said:

My thoughts are Cupra as a brand won’t last.  People will just call this a Seat Ibiza Cupra, and a Seat Ateca Cupra (when it arrives). 

The car looks good though. Will wait for better pics to properly decide. 

That will be when "Cupra Line" turns up - shame about the badge though.

24 minutes ago, T00mm said:

What on earth have they done with the badge!!!!!

Jeeze, doesn't really look much different than the previous model to be honest.

I disagree with you there, each to their own etc etc, but from someone that ran a late 2009 Ibiza for about 4 years while my daughter was working abroad, I always thought that that version was just a bit ugly, and that has changed, in my eyes with this one, looks more like a smaller version of the Leon, which is no bad thing?

Love the leaks to the social media from a factory insider who's job in the past will have been leaking to Auto Express and others.

So i expect SEAT / VW Group will not be carrying out any investigations into who leaked the pics or information.

Not that the story is a bit off on accuracy.

Autocar, owned by Haymarket Media Group along with What Car, Pistonheads and other Motoring Publication.

Haymarket Media that have VW Group as a customer, and that do vehicles launches etc for VW Group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haymarket_Media_Group 

That is some monstrosity that someone knocked up for the steering wheel air bag.

Edited by AwaoffSki

I guess what I find confusing still, is that Seat is the weakest performing VAG marque (to my understanding). I don’t understand how creating a sub brand of Seat strengthens the brand in anyway. To me it just causes confusion to the general public. 

Because they have been growing the production and selling of the SEAT Brand, as with Skoda, 

because the VW name is dirt in some World Regions.

They need Skoda into North America / Canada and elsewhere, that will be needing Cupra as well quite likely.

Maybe come time VW Group will be selling them off anyway, well making it look like they are no longer the parent company. 

Organ Grinders.

29 minutes ago, rum4mo said:

I disagree with you there, each to their own etc etc, but from someone that ran a late 2009 Ibiza for about 4 years while my daughter was working abroad, I always thought that that version was just a bit ugly, and that has changed, in my eyes with this one, looks more like a smaller version of the Leon, which is no bad thing?

Fair enough, I ran a 2010 Ibiza Cupra for a few years and I loved that.

1 hour ago, T00mm said:

Fair enough, I ran a 2010 Ibiza Cupra for a few years and I loved that.

Actually thinking a bit more about what I wrote, as my daughter's Ibiza is just a 1.4 SE SC, so really a basic model, when you link that to the previous shape, it probably shows the bits that I did not like up a lot more than it would on your Cupra.    I'm a 4 door car sort of person, if there is such a thing, so the new car looks better than the old 4 door one in my eyes.

Can't figure out if the badge is based on the DS, Wolfrace or Dainese ones.  Either way, it looks cack.

I actually like the copper/bronze colours they've used on the interior, same as what they did with the Leon Cupra R.  Alcantara wheel also looks nice and will no doubt feel good too.

Maybe the Cupra brand is the start of the end for SEAT??  Split the brand into two business units and see who want's what when VAG try to offload in order to claw some cash back from diesel-gate.  

Same pics, just wish that the 'leaker' had actually shown the car better, 

but there is as much there as when Skoda tease.  

?

What is the music, Russian?

Edited by AwaoffSki

That badge looks like some Chinese knockoff brand. Or the old Proton badge.

<upra or (upra or [upra but deffo not Cupra.

I remember the one Seat we had in recent memory as being quite nice to look at but underpowered and so loud inside that it was actually physically painful to drive or be driven in.

Hope it has kinder suspension that the Leon Cupra once had which could shake fillings out.  Something like the Type Rs multiple setting but then I expect it will be a warm rather than hot and be relatively poor handling. Another sheep in wolf clothing and around £19K plus even though it is losing cheaper Spanish labour.  Hopefully be down to £16k or less quite quickly. 

That badge puts me right off, looks like a afterthought. When you say Cupra to me it’s a trim level to me not a manufacturer.

Dare I say it I think it have its appeal to Cupra fans but not for me.

Watch this space a vRS brand will soon appear :)

Davy

2 hours ago, Skodaboy1983 said:

That badge puts me right off, looks like a afterthought. When you say Cupra to me it’s a trim level to me not a manufacturer.

Dare I say it I think it have its appeal to Cupra fans but not for me.

Nah, they hate it over on SEATCUPRA.NET as well.

It's mad really, since there is already a well-established Cupra logo.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Haha 1

Man,ive not been on SCN since 2012, when i binned my broken cordoba and got my mk1 octy.

Glad they dont like it tbh, as that really shows its a manky thing!

Edit - the badge is manky, the car looks alright

Edited by mac11irl