Facelift Octavia. Any more refined??

My 2016  VRS wagon will be coming off lease and am looking at the Superb Sportline as a more refined replcemnt.

But am wondering whethe  the facelift Oct is more refined than the pre facelift, in terms of sound insulation, road noise etc.

I guess a VRS Octy with Superb levels of refinement would do it for me 

If you mean road and wind noise then I don't imagine that the sound levels are lower than the original MkIII  by much if at all. Perhaps other owners who've had both can confirm. 

Subjectively I think yes.  When I test drove a pre-FL VRS demo in late 2016 I thought it quite tinny and noisy compared to my Mk2.  Perhaps just because my expectations had been lowered I was pleasantly surprised by my FL 245 a year later.  Especially with that noise and vibration generator nonsense turned off.

I can't say wind or road noise have been an issue for me.  The ride quality on 19" wheels is not great even with DCC and I would imagine the Superb is much better in that respect.   

The 230 may ride a bit better on 18s, but the interior (for me) is not as nice as the 245. That is a matter of taste of course. 

Had a FL for a week while I had some warranty work done.

Can't say I noticed any difference.

Both cars not as refined as the Passat / Superb.

Lee

16 minutes ago, logiclee said:

Had a FL for a week while I had some warranty work done.

Can't say I noticed any difference.

Both cars not as refined as the Passat / Superb.

Lee

My wife has a 2014 vrs TDI estate and that does seem to have less tyre noise that my 2017 FL VRS petrol. The older car does have Canton so I am not sure if the difference has anything to do with the noise cancellation system that is part of the canton setup.

I'd say there has been a slight improvement. Seems to be a little more sound deadening in the doors.

Plus somehow the wind noise seems to of been cut down at motorway speeds (even though i can't make out any changes made to front pillars or mirrors)

Road noise on my new stead is a little better too, though this i put down to last version being Greenline so had the god awful Michelin low rolling resistance tyres!

Overall a little quieter, but also more refined. Better switch gear for heating, cubbies etc all a little nicer.

On 2/26/2018 at 19:55, Chimble said:

My wife has a 2014 vrs TDI estate and that does seem to have less tyre noise that my 2017 FL VRS petrol. The older car does have Canton so I am not sure if the difference has anything to do with the noise cancellation system that is part of the canton setup.

I've got a 2015 L&K Estate with Canton - never heard about a noise cancellation system - grateful for any info.

11 hours ago, JohnMorr said:

I've got a 2015 L&K Estate with Canton - never heard about a noise cancellation system - grateful for any info.

Noise cancellation is a well known practice and it is part of the Canton set-up. There are no settings for it, it just works in the background. Many people are sceptical as to whether or not it actually works.

It is mentioned on the Canton website at https://www.canton.de/en/skoda-en

Thanks, Chimble. I've always thought our Mk3 Octavia Estate was eerily quiet, but put that down to the 1.8Tsi turbocharged engine not having to work very hard. But maybe it's all down to the Canton!