Transmission oil (6-speed manual)

I'm about to change the gearbox lube on my 2005 Octavia TDI (185k km/116k miles), but am unsure about the oil specs - there seems to be some confusion over GL-service nos. (4 vs. 5) and types of oil (mineral vs. synthetic). VAG doesn't make it any easier through their obscure OEM product labels. The quantity is certain at least: 2.3 L.

The VAG parts catalog specifies the 70W-75 oil (Part # G052171A2) for my HDV, 6-speed transmission. It appears to correspond to a GL-4 (mineral-base) oil, e.g. FEBI, except that the latter has the 75W viscosity grade (see pic). 71yTvkkrZQL._SL1500_.jpg

There's also the GL-5 (synthetic-base) grade FEBI oil, more  viscous (75W-80) than the OEM (VAG) product, which is not good (see pic).71Ll3jQJ5HL._SL1500_.jpgAnd then there's the OEM (VAG) product of unknown specs, yet absurd pricing.

Can anyone pls. clear the skies for me, preferably documenting their answers?

Any convincing alternatives to OEM and FEBI?

Personal experience will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

the difference be tween GL4 &  5  if I remember correctly is concerned with the use of Phosphor bronze within the box and is NOT backwards compatible     VAG are a pain and my usual advise is to consult FUCHS application site  if still unsure talk to them (country div') they are helpful  

3 hours ago, MicMac said:

Thank you MicMac.

I apologize for not having searched the forum well enough and do hope someone will relocate my query and the responses where they belong to keep everything in order and readily available. The info members provide is often invaluable to me and I appreciate each of your contributions.

An update: I got two potential suppliers involved, here's the short story:

VAG (OEM) product: G 052171A2, SAE 70W-75.

• FEBI Bilstein:

neither of the two shown in my photos above are OK for my car - they suggest the same oil used in the VAG 7-speed DSG, here are the codes:

FEBI Gear Oil DCTF-I code: 39070 (1 L),  39071 (5 L), complying with the VAG spec  G 052 182 A2.

(I'm having this double-checked.)

• CASTROL UK: 

Castrol UK suggest using their Syntrans V FE 75W-80 complying with the VAG spec VW G 052 171.

Because of the free shipping (FEBI is available where I live), I'll probably follow that route, provided that double-checking confirms the product.

To be continued.

There is a code number on the bottom of the gearbox. Skoda Technical can tell you the exact oil required from the number.

In general 5 speed is mineral and 6 speed is synthetic but check the number to make sure as my dealer gave me the wrong one initially.

Edited by FatblokeVRS