suspension issue

i mounted a kerb today albeit at slow speed as usual, but heard a clunk. the steering had felt a bit weird, but put it down to the weather of late. when i got out of the car, i pushed on the tread of the tyre with by foot towards the rear of the car and the whole lot moved!! So tried the nearside - solid.

turned the wheel on full left lock and saw that at the back of the offside wishbone, a rubber bush was hanging out! Am I looking at a complete new wishbone? never seen anything like it before!

I'd say it's a rear console bush failure.  But others will confirm.  The best cure, if it is, is to replace both sides with  Polybushes. Plenty of guides on here on how to.

• Like 1

SORRY- I'd edit that if the system would let me to front console, rear bush failure.  Two choices- replace with similar, or fit Powerflex bushes.  My costing put both sides with motor factor replacements at circa £35, and Powerflex at circa 60.  The bonus is that if fitted & lubricated correctly, Powerflex is a fit once in lifetime operation. My local place charges £50 per corner. But from "how to 's " on here, I'd suggest that it's an easy operation for not an OAP, who's hips would let him down, but say sod you, you stay here.

had it done. was told the entire wishbone would have to be replaced at a cost of £170!!!

just picked it up, and it has the same wishbone on it, just with a new rear bush fitted, which they seem to think costs £70 for a bush!!!

i will be going back tomoz and kicking off!!

esp when euro car parts charge 9.19 for the same bush!!!

Did the invoice itemise a wishbone?

They don't usually need changing, but sometimes are excessively rusty. One member had the 'peg' that goes into the console bush snap off, ISTR!

Please tell me they haven't fitted a bush like the factory one, with just one central rubber web coming up/down from the hexagonal centre?

4 minutes ago, Wino said:

One member had the 'peg' that goes into the console bush snap off, ISTR!

eek! :o