Battery change

shackman1975

• 2 weeks later...

Most batteries have a cover of some type which are usually easy enough to get off.

Disconnect the negative (black lead) first. Then the positive (red).

There will be a clamp holding the battery in place, if like my Superb then it's at the base of the battery so you'll need to get a socket on it (not hard so long as you have the tool).

Lift battery out. Then install in reverse order. I.e. positive first, then negative last.

Be careful not to let anything metal, such as a tool, cross the positive and negative terminals of the battery. And make sure you connect the battery up the right way - red lead to the positive terminal, black lead to the negative.

Edited by snowathlete
  • Like 1

You'll maybe need to fully operate all your electric windows and steering (it it's electric assist) after changing the battery - check the owner manual - you have to do that with the older Octavias anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2018 at 10:14, Rustynuts said:

You'll probably get ESP and ABS fault lights too. They should disappear after driving a short while.

I don't know about this engine but many cars lose their engine learning data on power loss. Does anyone know if this happens with the ea189?

• 4 months later...

Also, when changing batteries, be careful not to disturb the  cable harnesses running down from the top connections - Halfords changed the battery on SWMBO's Mk IV Golf 2l late one Saturday afternoon and that resulted in all sorts of dashboard warning lights, and it then took me about 2hrs to find and fix the cable connections running down the back of the battery :angry:

You might need to input the radio code as well. The wife's Honda was like that.

Fortunately I is a smart hubby and knows where to find it.... in her case, the Radio Code Card in her Owners Handbook folder