What's wrong with this picture (wiper arms)

OK we have had our 09 Fabia for 12 months and every now and again I would look at the wipers/wiper arms and think to myself ''what's wrong with this picture'' :) ?

We have not used the car much since last september and I have continually forgotten to check out other similar Fabias (the wipers do work ok)

So today I sat down and looked at a few pics of similar aged Fabias and the answer is bleeding obvious...

Presumably at some stage the car has had a windscreen replaced and the monkey who did the job fitted the arms back incorrectly - looking at other Fabia pics shows the kinked/bent arm fitted to the drivers side with the straight arm fitted to the passenger side - with no overlap,oh well on the next nice day I will transpose them :)

XI7Z4FU.jpg?1

Edited by YS53

If they can't fit the wiper arms back correctly, what chance have they of fitting the windscreen in properly? I have heard stories of them not seating the screen correctly and of letting owners drive off with sticky tape, still supposedly holding the glass in place until the adhesive sets. Great, if you don't go over any lumps or bumps in the road... At all. Also, of the screen letting water get where it shouldn't as its not seated correctly, allowing ingress to electrics etc. It could, of course have been that someone replaced the arms after fixing a well known wiper issue. Have a look to see if glass is genuine Skoda... Most replacements won't have the Skoda branding logo.  Swapping the arms, though, is a five minute job, if you have the correct tools.

2 hours ago, mrgf said:

Swapping the arms, though, is a five minute job, if you have the correct tools.

Havent noticed any signs of water ingress yet.

Yes could have been a wiper mechanism fix,I was never that worried about the arm position,but will be fitting new blades in the spring so didn't want to have them overshooting the screen. 

I have a large hammer,large screwdriver and metric adjustable spaniard which should cope with removal :)

Quite nice afternoon today so I invested 15 mins of my time transposing the wiper arms,took longer than 5 mins because I had to find my small wire brush and remove corrosion/crud from the splines and threads,but anyway the wipers look in a fairly normal parked position now.Also hopefully the drivers wiper will no longer 'click' on the windscreen pillar any more LOL

I am ashamed it has taken me 12 months to get round to doing this wee job :biggrin:

QtMNMsZ.jpg?1

• Like 1

Why put off till tomorrow, what you can put off till next year?   Just so you know, if not already, many of these cars have the drivers side wiper stop wiping as the connecting arm pops off, underneath the scuttle. This is due to wear on the plastic ball joint. The replacement part is cheap or you can get a small stainless steel clip via Ebay, that stops them from being able to pop off.

5 hours ago, mrgf said:

Why put off till tomorrow, what you can put off till next year?  

Thats correct as there is madness in my method :biggrin:

Yes thanks mrgf - I had realised what you were referring to with the well known wiper issue,hopefully our fabia has not got to that mileage yet LOL

Rgds YS