1.4 TSI vs. 1.5 TSI

Interesting all right -  you are also right that it is about  the new 1.5. There have already been some changes due to WLTP since it was written though.

They may have now tinkered with the Miller cycle mentioned in the article. The current WLTP version (under certification) uses the new "Budack" version of the Miller cycle ( Here's How Volkswagen's New 'Budack Cycle' Engine Works )

The review seems to be for the 1.5 before fitting of the Gasoline Particulate Filter (I'm guessing on that one simply because there is no mention of the GPF that they are now getting for Euro 6d compliance/WLTP). 

breaking news

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/cars-affected-wltp-084136806.html

(PA)Skoda’s range-topping SUV is another VW Group machine hit by the switch to WLTP rules, albeit in minor fashion. The previously-available 1.4-litre TFSI engine has been dropped from its lineup, however it has been immediately replaced with a 1.5-litre unit.

32 minutes ago, VWD said:

breaking news

You have a really funny definition of 'breaking news'. :o

This whole topic is about the switch from the 1.4 to the 1.5, and it was started in March! And I think it was pretty much known that the switch would happen from December last year, when the Karoq launched with the new 1.5 instead of the 1.4.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

I've just heard that all petrol's with a GPF will utilise AdBlue

AdBlue is a product designed to combat the emissions from diesel engines, isn't it...? I don't understand how you could simply start using the same stuff with petrol engines.

16 minutes ago, xman said:

Source?

Lots of discussion on the web. This communication from Skoda UK started it all off...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/models/octavia/pricing-and-specs

If you select a higher spec model, which opens up the option to select the 2.0 TSI 190PS DSG you will notice it says "AdBlue - YES"...

Capture.JPG.57b46a2115d4d41c32f8653557ff5941.JPG

Capture1.JPG.5e02b8a51a7630d4a6e61af0a8091603.JPG

However! Someone spoke to Skoda UK and they confirmed it was a mistake, and that it would be corrected. No surprise there.

But then someone who claims to work for a Skoda main dealer in the UK said they'd just received a 'bulletin' from Skoda UK to say AdBlue was to be phased in for all petrol engines fitted with a GPF from week 22, 2019.

This is of course the internet, so take everything I'm saying here with a pinch of salt. It is all hearsay.

• Like 1

Well, filters deal with particulates and adblue deals with (gaseous) oxides of nitrogen: different things. Diesels produce more of both than petrols do (though petrols are worse on CO2) so were first in with particulate filters and adblue.

Now that the emissions regs are getting very difficult to meet, we’re seeing filters coming in for petrols, and I suppose that (given appropriate chemistry in the catalytic convertor) there’s a use for adblue there, too.  The adblue never gets into the fuel; it’s injected into the hot exhaust system, where it can deal with some of the NOx.

Edited by DaveMiller
  • Like 2

On 20/09/2018 at 21:30, Offski said:

VWD,

Hardly 'latest news' that the 1.4 TSI's were being discontinued then there were 1.5TSI EVO's and then they would need a GPF.

Nevercome on here, so I've never seen it mentioned elsewhere. Thought it might come as news to folks looking at new ones.

Add to above, pleased to report that shot missed messenger vital parts and messenger is recovering. However messenger feels that in future it might be better not to add any news in case others have not seen it.

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...

Has there been any further communication around the addition of AdBlue to GPF-equipped petrol engines from week 22 2019 (27th May 2019)?

Or was / is it indeed an internet myth?

Edited by silver1011