EGR sensor

Hello

bought a 10 plate Fabia 1.6 diesel in November, not having a great deal of luck. 

Back in January the DPF sensor went and replaced

now the car back from the garage with a fault 7343 - EGR sensor - mechanic telling me that the EGR sensor has a fault and I need a new cooler? (Apologies if the terminology is incorrect). Apparently this is quite an expensive job which is very frustrating. I have been quoted about £1000, does this sound correct? 

Mechanic has also told me there was a bit of an EGR amnesty around dieselgate...does anyone have any details for this?

appreciate the help in advance...

Hi Otto1234

welcome to the realities of VW diesel ownership. A good car in many ways,but, yes there are a number of expensive items that will will require attention from time to time.

If your motor does really need a new egr valve - yes it is a very expensive item regretfully.

As to the 'EGR amnesty' - this would apply if you have the skoda dieselgate fix applied. When this is done (with the EGR functioning correctly at that time) - then a further guarantee applies so I understand.

HOWEVER, please note that when the (supposed 'Fix') is applied - it has generated further problems, and there are many diesel owners who wish they had never had this done. Note, that once applied - it cannot be cancelled or changed back. 

These comments are made on the assumption that your engine is the 1.6 - CR90/105 version

Edited by 2ndskoda
  • Like 2

Hello

Thanks for the reply. It's all a bit frustrating as I haven't had the car that long. Someone has told me that it might be simpler to get the ECU re-mapped to ignore the EGR? Does anyone know if this is a sensible idea, will it affect my MOT and how much this should cost?

Thanks

?

Do you know for certain the car has not had the VW Group Fix,  so New Engine Management Software and the Flow Device fitted to the air intake?

If it was done then the car is covered by the Trust Building Measure and the 24 month sort of Guarantee that could get you the car fixed free, 

ie EGR and anything else that has been affected by the Service Recall Action.

There are people that have had EGR Failure and expenses and not had The Fix going after VW Group / Skoda for their costs.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Otto1234 said:

So just been onto the website and it seems the car never had the EA189 NOx emissions fix - I assume this is the one you are talking about?

yes that's the one. Never get one done as the list of problems will get longer (my Skoda dealer did it without my permission). It is an expensive problem but the price is about right. i dread the day it will happen to me. My personal opinion is to have it fixed, don't blank the EGR remap it etc. Good luck!

• Like 1

When did you buy the car in November and was it private or dealership?  Who did the repair on the DPF sensor and when was it and when did you get an EGR fault?

the fault code you have means that the EGR is not opening properly when commanded, on this model it’s usually because the actuator is gummed up from crap.  I would say that the EGR is full of gunk and this gunk caused your DPF sensor to have issues and finally enough crap gummed up your EGR actuator.   The EGR/cooler is not an expensive part, it’s the labour to change it that is due to the location.

under the consumer rights act it is up to the dealer to prove that there wasn’t a fault with the EGR within the first 6mths of you owning it, not yours.  You are entitled to a free repair or replacement, the dealership will usually opt for the former.  As EGR and DPF issues are extremely closely related, eg they are both emissions controllers and one tends to affect the other, I would say that they didn’t quite get to the root cause of the problem in the first place, eg a gummy EGR.  Just because the light came on a few months later, does not abscond the dealer from his obligations and your rights; the problem was there already and it was a matter of time before the light came on, this is how the law looks at it.

Therefore you are actually entitled to a refund (because the repair has not been successful) minus fair use as your 30days have expired.

These are are your legal rights regardless of warranties or what the garage says.  I would ask for a refund on this vehicle as its going to cause you a string of headaches and my fear for you is that it will be the DPF or the turbo next.

edit:  blanking an EGR is an MOT failure under the new guidelines and so is having a faulty EGR (EML on).

Edited by globalste
  • Like 1

Hello 

thank you for these replies. I have been on holiday so not had a chance to do anything about the car. I bought the car mid November (don’t have the exact date to hand) and had the dpf sensor replaced in mid January. The EGR fault has only just come up over the last couple of weeks. I had the dpf repair done locally as it was going to be too much of a pain taking it back to the place I bought it from although I did notify them there was an issue. 

How would I go about getting them to refund me? They have already tried fobbing me off with the three month warranty story...

What do you mean fobbing you off with the three month warranty story?

did they refuse to repair the car the first time??

the garage must repair it under consumer law, or provide a refund.  I would call quoting the consumer rights act and your right to a refund up to 6mths because of the major faults on the car, quote the consumer credit act as well if the car is on finance, then write the notes of the call to the dealership and send them via recorded letter.   If he refuses to budge then I would advise you write another recorded letter saying that you acknowledge that they will not repair or refund your car, and that you will now either take the car elsewhere to be repaired and claim the cost by suing through a small claims court, or claim a refund of the vehicle, either of these you can claim up to £10,000.  If you bought the car on PCP then the finance company is joint-liable so send them the same letter.  Ideally quote case law to them.  Some good tips on here, scroll down to barnes Vs McGrath which I believe is close to your situation 

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/