Changing from 8J to 7J wheels - any issues?

westie38

I realise this may be a case of putting the cart before the horse, but I've just purchased a set of Kodiaq Sirius 19" wheels with the intention of using them for use with winter tyres. My current Edition tyres/wheels are 235/45 R19 on 8J ET43, and the Sirius wheels are 7J ET43 (recommended tyres are 235/50 R19). I've been assured by the Skoda dealer I bought them from that they will fit the Karoq ok, and I have (tried) to fathom the info on the Will They Fit.com website. 

I just want to be certain about fitting them before committing to buying a set of winter tyres, as (hopefully) they won't be needed before next autumn/winter. I would have probably gone for All Season tyres if any were available for my size of wheels, but apparently no tyre manufacturer produces this size (yet), although Michelin are supposed to be bring one out sometime in 2019. 

Any help would be most appreciated.  

Thanks, that's a good find. I searched all over the net but never came across Camskill. They seem like good prices too! The only full winter tyres they have left in stock for the 235/50's are the Dunlop Wintersport 3D SP which are the same make I've just managed to sell from my previous Ford Kuga - blooming expensive though.

Thanks again.

I’m pretty sure the wheels will fit, but as the proud owner of 19” wheels, I reckon there are extremely limited options for 19” winter tyres.

So I am looking for 18” wheels to fit winter tyres. Far more options in 18” and 17”.

And obviously cheaper too.

By selecting the correct size, you can be very close to the rolling circumference of the original wheels; hence almost no speedo variation to worry about.

Thanks BoxerBoy, 

There are a few brands of 19" winter tyres around, but it may or may not be the best time to buy them now. Although it's getting towards the end of the wintery season, there will be more choice towards the back end of this year. I've found some Nokian WR SUV 3 tyres which are reasonably priced and get good write ups, plus they are manufactured in a land where they know a thing or two about winter driving. According to willtheyfit.com, the speedo error would be -3.27% (30mph = 29.02mph & 60mph =58.04mph) so it's probably better to be on the underside (mph wise).

On the plus side, sod's law being what it is, if I fork out the thick end of £700 on a new set of tyres, the UK won't see snow for the next 4-5 years! 

16 hours ago, westie38 said:

I realise this may be a case of putting the cart before the horse, but I've just purchased a set of Kodiaq Sirius 19" wheels with the intention of using them for use with winter tyres. My current Edition tyres/wheels are 235/45 R19 on 8J ET43, and the Sirius wheels are 7J ET43 (recommended tyres are 235/50 R19). I've been assured by the Skoda dealer I bought them from that they will fit the Karoq ok, and I have (tried) to fathom the info on the Will They Fit.com website. 

I just want to be certain about fitting them before committing to buying a set of winter tyres, as (hopefully) they won't be needed before next autumn/winter. I would have probably gone for All Season tyres if any were available for my size of wheels, but apparently no tyre manufacturer produces this size (yet), although Michelin are supposed to be bring one out sometime in 2019. 

Any help would be most appreciated.  

Can you please check the tyre size on your car again as according to the technical specifications provided by Skoda for the diesel Edition they should be shod with 225/45 R19 tyres and the petrol Edition model 235/40 R19. There is no mention of the size you state of 235/45 R19? A big clue for cars with a 235 tyre size is the black trim around the wheel arches and as far as I know this is not available on the diesel due to it having 225 tyres. 

Yep, sorry, my mistake - they are indeed 225/45 R19 - (it's an age thing).  So, putting the correct figures in to willtheyfit.com, The calculated speedo error is -4.53%, which at least is still on the "safe" side (30 = 28.6  & 60 = 57.2mph).  Can but try - failing that, they can always be sold as a set of zero miles Sirius 19" wheels...

Thanks again Horacecoker. 

11 hours ago, westie38 said:

Yep, sorry, my mistake - they are indeed 225/45 R19 - (it's an age thing).  So, putting the correct figures in to willtheyfit.com, The calculated speedo error is -4.53%, which at least is still on the "safe" side (30 = 28.6  & 60 = 57.2mph).  Can but try - failing that, they can always be sold as a set of zero miles Sirius 19" wheels...

Thanks again Horacecoker. 

The problem you've now got is that Nokian WR SUV 3 tyres aren't an approved Skoda size for the the 19 inch wheels. What that means if you have an accident and your insurance finds out about the non approved tyre size is anybody's guess. Come to think of it even the Sirius wheels aren't an approved size for the Karoq. Take them back to the dealer who shouldn't have sold them to you in the first place is my advice.

The Kodiaq accessory pricing list states that the Sirius7J x 19 wheels are for 235/50R19 tyres. The info I picked up from the Oponeo website was for 235/50R19 tyres, so how come they aren't an approved tyre size for the 19"wheels? There are five different size wheels for the Kodiaq and five different size wheels for the Karoq, all with a variety of tyre sizes, and that's before winter or all-season tyres are considered. At  least the Sirius wheels are OE Skoda kit, and I do get your point about the Sirius wheels not being a listed accessory for the Karoq, but where does that leave anyone else who buys aftermarket wheels from the hundreds of alloy wheels outlets (not necessarily for a Skoda) ?  

The wheels in question (from Lincoln Skoda) were advertised as being for Kodiaq, Karoq, VW, Audi, Seat. 

As an aside, there's some good info regarding the fitting of winter tyres on the ABI website - WINTER TYRES – THE MOTOR INSURANCE COMMITMENT

I'll give it some more thought...

Why are you intending on using 19” wheels for winter use, when the norm is to fit smaller wheels with thinner tyres. 16” rims are the recommended size fitted with 215x60x16  winter tyres.

Yeah, even on this mornings news, the head honcho of the RAC said the main reason for traffic hold ups in the snow was down to the type of tyres fitted to the vast majority of cars. Where winter tyres are mandatory abroad they fair much better.

57 minutes ago, Kenny R said:

Why are you intending on using 19” wheels for winter use, when the norm is to fit smaller wheels with thinner tyres. 16” rims are the recommended size fitted with 215x60x16  winter tyres.

?

So what was that car with the 19's?

What cars have fitted in the way of tyres makes no difference to what the HGV's have on that have closed roads.

Plenty drivers in the parts of Scotland north of Perth Scotland travel all winter on roads that are not closed by snow gates on the tyres the Lease / fleet / privately owned car comes on.

Oddly South of Perth chaos blamed on the car tyres, not drivers, or Transport Scotland, BEAR / AMEY.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Just changed from a Ford Kuga Titanium X (again part time 4wd). Would have had another one but they haven’t moved on hardly at all in the past five years, tech wise or looks. 

15 hours ago, westie38 said:

The Kodiaq accessory pricing list states that the Sirius7J x 19 wheels are for 235/50R19 tyres. The info I picked up from the Oponeo website was for 235/50R19 tyres, so how come they aren't an approved tyre size for the 19"wheels? There are five different size wheels for the Kodiaq and five different size wheels for the Karoq, all with a variety of tyre sizes, and that's before winter or all-season tyres are considered. At  least the Sirius wheels are OE Skoda kit, and I do get your point about the Sirius wheels not being a listed accessory for the Karoq, but where does that leave anyone else who buys aftermarket wheels from the hundreds of alloy wheels outlets (not necessarily for a Skoda) ?  

The wheels in question (from Lincoln Skoda) were advertised as being for Kodiaq, Karoq, VW, Audi, Seat. 

As an aside, there's some good info regarding the fitting of winter tyres on the ABI website - WINTER TYRES – THE MOTOR INSURANCE COMMITMENT

I'll give it some more thought...

All I'm saying is that for the Karoq the 19" wheels are all 8J. They may be 7J on the Kodiaq but quite frankly I neither know or care. 235/50 R19 are definitely not a standard fit for the Karoq. The diesel size is 225/45 R19 and the petrol size is 235/40 R19 so I don't know why you are considering 225/50 R19. The maximum width of tyre recommended for 7J 19" wheels is 225 that's why you need the 8J correct Karoq size for the tyres you mention. But even with the correct width of wheel, 235/50 R19 are not an approved size for the Karoq.

Edited by Horacecoker