Internal lighting to switches

Is it just me , or did Skoda massively overdo the internal lighting to switches? Am I the only person that doesn't need the door mirror switch not to mention the 5 million other switches lit at night? My Citroen C2 has a switch that dims everything apart from the speedo which makes it more relaxing to drive at night. The Octavia is like living in a city for the light pollution!! Rob

Is there a way of turning some of these off? For example I don't need any of the switches on the steering wheel to be backlit, let alone any of those in door other than the driver's window perhaps) to be lit. When driving in very dark areas I would prefer a minimum of distraction! In urban areas it is less of a problem.

(I don't know how people with sat navs set on daylight colours, mounted either halfway up the A pillar or in the middle of the main windscreen even spot other road users signs. Coming up behind them in the dark, their whole cabin is lit up!)

Looks like I am turning into a grumpy old git, but I am genuinely interested to see if there is an electronic fix to dim / reduce the dashboard! Rob

Edited by 2cvhound

On 3/19/2018 at 23:57, 2cvhound said:

Is it just me , or did Skoda massively overdo the internal lighting to switches? Am I the only person that doesn't need the door mirror switch not to mention the 5 million other switches lit at night? My Citroen C2 has a switch that dims everything apart from the speedo which makes it more relaxing to drive at night. The Octavia is like living in a city for the light pollution!! Rob

My other car has hardly any door or mirror switches lit up which I miss.  The Octavia is fine for me & not distracting at all.

• Like 1

I was stuck at traffic lights last night and thought I would do a rough count: 10 lit switches/points on the steering wheel, 5 on the door mirror adjuster, 5 on the window controls, 13 on the ventilation, 7 on the headlight switch, 3 on the headlight adjuster, 3 on the central locking/optional extras (of which I don't have many!).

That's 46 points of light that are not part of either the main dashboard or multi function display! There are probably aircraft with fewer lit switches!! I realise that some switches do need lighting but all?  I will have a look as Rodge suggests to see if I can turn down the lighting, though I suspect it may only deal with the main binnacle.

In the past I had a Renault Avantime which had a built in Sat Nav, which even when turned off, continued to backlight the screen, even though it was black - a glowing black screen - genius! 

It's the little things that make life fun!!

Personally, I drive quite a bit in pitch darkness and there's no lights at quite a few of the places I drive to. And I mean zero. Especially when there's no starlight because of cloud cover, it's really, seriously dark. To be able to find a mirror switch because you don't want to end up in a snowbank - that's when it's handy. Never mind the heated mirrors on the motorway when they suddenly freeze over, or being really sure where my tea is in the centre console, or that there's a phone in the box at the front. 

The night panel concept was originally pioneered by Saab and I do quite like it, but I've got very used to the glow everywhere. I miss having lit vent wheels.

@SashaGrace got it right: it's everywhere and not going away. Dim it some is the best answer you have.

- Bret

• Like 2