What bulb size?

I feel daft asking for assistance with this, but I've searched high and low for a definitive answer to this question and I've had different results depending on where I look. I would have thought the manual would have answered this, but hey ho.

I've seen a list for a standard octavia, but can someone provide a list of what bulbs are for my car. It's a 2016 Vrs estate (rear led tail lights and xenons). I don't wish to start pulling bulbs out willy nilly and see if they've anything written on them, as I don't want to break them.

Also, bulbs can have a slightly different names, for example I've seen H16 and H16W, but with no explanation of the difference. 

I'm hopefully going to upgrade the indicators, reversing lights and the front fogs to LED's

The bulbs I remove, I'll use for a spares pot for going over onto the continent (our bike group got stopped 5 miles from the chunnel exit last May)

ADMINS - Might be worth stickying this, as I'm sure I can't be the only person getting lost with what bulb goes where.

thanks in advance

Ian

In the same boat...Just spent ages searching everywhere.

Just got a 2015 VRS TDI Estate on Saturday and want to sort the fogs ASAP.   (I test drove the new TSI.  It has full LED everywhere.  Makes a massive difference.)

I'm sure this has been done numerous times and probably findable via the search but here goes:

Only applicable to VRS:

Bi-Xenon headlight - D3S

Sidelight - W5W/T10/501

Front indicator - PWY24W

Reverse - P21w

Rear Indicator - PY21w

Front fogs - H16 x2 on each side

Rear fogs: H21w

Number plate - W5W/T10/501

Interior - Front and rear light units, Glovebox and Boot all W5W/T10/501* - *may differ slightly for panoramic roof if fitted.

Variations for non VRS:

Front fogs - H8

Non Xenon headlight cars have H7 headlight and H15 DRL

Rear non LED brake bulb - P21w

Edited by ahenners
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ahenners said:

I'm sure this has been done numerous times and probably findable via the search but here goes:

Only applicable to VRS:

Bi-Xenon headlight - D3S

Sidelight - W5W/T10/501

Front indicator - PWY24W

Reverse - P21w

Rear Indicator - PY21w

Interior - Front and rear light units, Glovebox and Boot all W5W/T10/501* - *may differ slightly for panoramic roof if fitted.

Variations for non VRS:

Front fogs - H8

thanks for that. I searched on here, typing in different things and didn't find what I was after.

It would be worth having this stickied.

cheers

Ian

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/03/2018 at 20:56, ahenners said:

Note that I got caught out on these.  There seems to be 2 different types of H16 in the market.  What is known (particularly on ebay) as an H16 I believe is an H16(EU).  I had to get H16(JP) which is the one with the right angled connector.

On 08/04/2018 at 22:02, ricgibbs said:

Note that I got caught out on these.  There seems to be 2 different types of H16 in the market.  What is known (particularly on ebay) as an H16 I believe is an H16(EU).  I had to get H16(JP) which is the one with the right angled connector.

I know. I've H16 with various numbers and letters have. I've seen psx26w, psx24w, ps19w, plus a few others.

Now i understand the last part in them is the rated wattage, but does the first part indicate a specific size?

Edited by tunedude

• 4 months later...
11 hours ago, encephalopathy said:

anyone have an actual link to vrs h16 LED fog bulbs they have bought and fitted? very confusing as to what exactly to buy

can they be fitted without taking the bumper off?

cheers

You can buy a set of h8 bulbs and trim down the mounting pins (what I did).

I jacked my car up and removed the engine cover. It's a bit awkward lying on your back but you can change them that way.

• Thanks 1

ive full led'd my MY14 vRS i have alot of spare bulbs ill dig out the rear fogs were a smaller size like H16  i think, I kept all the boxes so ill go have a look

if you mean the front fogs you only need to take the lower cover off you shouldnt need to jack up or remove the engine cover unless you have hands like the hulk! i wear an X-large and i had no issue. I have a link for the correct fitment and in the correct 4.5K colour. everything else will look 'blue'

Edited by JohnnyType2

I tried to change the bulbs just by taking off the panels, but you need double jointed wrists.

The only bulb which does require a bi of work to replace are the front indicators. It is a bumper off job.

3 hours ago, tunedude said:

The only bulb which does require a bi of work to replace are the front indicators. It is a bumper off job.

It's a bit of work, however it can be done with the headlights in place and reaching around. I did mine on both sides without removing the bumper or going through the wheel arches.

1 minute ago, ahenners said:

It's a bit of work, however it can be done with the headlights in place and reaching around. I did mine on both sides without removing the bumper or going through the wheel arches.

Is it? I was led to be believe because you had to 'break' off the covers, you needed a bit of room.

6 minutes ago, tunedude said:

Is it? I was led to be believe because you had to 'break' off the covers, you needed a bit of room.

You do need to break off the covers, but it is do-able. I used a Swiss army knife tool, with the blade at an angle to do it. First one took a while, the other side took minutes.

Edited by ahenners

Whilst we're on the subject of bulbs, is the mirror puddle light just a standard 501 side light bulb?

I've seen the light units you can get on superskoda, but if I could just swap the bulb instead, I'd sooner do that.

7 hours ago, encephalopathy said:

Johnny that would be great if you could find the link - as it is x4 bulbs to order i don't want to make a ££ mistake

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-H8-LED-Xenon-PGJ19-1-White-4500k-HID-Fog-Bulbs-DRL-Lights-W5W-501-T10-12v-24v/161183485636

these are the only LEDs i could find in 4500K the same colour as the HIDs. you just need to file/dremmel a v.small amount from one of the lugs to get them to fit, takes about 5 min.

3 hours ago, ahenners said:

You do need to break off the covers, but it is do-able. I used a Swiss army knife tool, with the blade at an angle to do it. First one took a while, the other side took minutes.

i was able to retain the covers without breaking (no bumper or arch removal)  but i can see how its easily done.

Edited by JohnnyType2

On 21/03/2018 at 20:56, ahenners said:

Only applicable to VRS:

Bi-Xenon headlight - D3S

Sidelight - W5W/T10/501

Front indicator - PWY24W

Reverse - P21w

Rear Indicator - PY21w

Variations for non VRS:

Front fogs - H8

There are two different volts 24v or 12v which ones are the correct volts.

1 hour ago, AndGibs1486 said:

There are two different volts 24v or 12v which ones are the correct volts.

For which bulb? You've quoted a post with at least 10 different bulb types.

i think he meant to post the fogs. those leds ive posted will work with both 12 and 24v 

ALL bulbs are 12v that is a given for all modern cars (with very few exceptions), afaik 24v is reserved for large trucks/articulated lorries etc.

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ahenners said:

For which bulb? You've quoted a post with at least 10 different bulb types.

I was looking at getting osram retrofit and they quote for t10 as either 24v or 12v

www.osram.com/retrofit-exchange

Edited by AndGibs1486

12 hours ago, JohnnyType2 said:

i was able to retain the covers without breaking (no bumper or arch removal)  but i can see how its easily done.

This is where it starts getting complicated.........nothing ever seems to be straight forward with our cars

How did you get the covers off yourself if some people describe having to break them off?