XL/Reinforced Tyres

BobbyG79

Do reinforced tyres provide a noticeably harsher ride?

I'm about to purchase new rubber and there appears to be a better (and sometimes cheaper) selection of "XL"s, though I'm aware the Yeti isn't really what they're made for.

The  CrossClimate tyres I put on my Yeti were XL and frankly there is no difference in the ride.  I replaced my OEM tyres within a couple of 1000 miles to cover me through summer/winter rather than fit winter tyres.  They are wearing very well and perform well dur8ng the summer and in the recent snow.   Which reminds me that I still have those tyres stored, Goodyear, which I must advertise.

@BobbyG79 - Well "XL" means "eXtra Load", so are they? Meaning do they have a higher load index number?

Anyway, theoretically that would require a stiffer sidewall, but that presumes old and new tyres to be otherwise same make, model and construction. Since @ernieb says that he did not replace with the same make, I'm not sure his argument actually helps.

XL tyres just perfect for Potholed UK roads.,   and that includes being on a yeti regardless of the tyre profile,

no downside to fitting them, adjust the tyre pressure for comfort within the tyre pressure range on the tyre of cars filler flap recommendations.

Cross Climates are reputed to give a very comfortable ride because of the construction and polymer blend in the "rubber". In most sizes they seem to only offer XL, I assume to limit the range they need to make as XL seems suitable for most applications.

Anyone know different?

The CrossClimate I fitted were 225/50 R17 98V extra load, and as stated above they are fine and cope well with the current standard of UK roads.

2 minutes ago, Expatman said:

Cross Climates are reputed to give a very comfortable ride because of the construction and polymer blend in the "rubber". In most sizes they seem to only offer XL, I assume to limit the range they need to make as XL seems suitable for most applications.

Anyone know different?

In fact there is now a CrossClimate SUV tyre that has a stiffness zone in the sidewall and double casing?

2 minutes ago, ernieb said:

In fact there is now a CrossClimate SUV tyre that has a stiffness zone in the sidewall and double casing?

An 'XXL' rating then?

Just now, Expatman said:

An 'XXL' rating then?

That might well be the case but the reviews I found a little while ago seemed to suggest that they worked well. They are supposed to be OK for “light off road use”. 90% road and 10% off road, sounds about right for most SUV users?  I will seriously be looking at these to fit to the Subaru XV 2018 when it arrives and as the winter weather sets in.

A little guide on XL tyres: https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/reinforced-tyres-advantages-and-disadvantages

Basically, XL tyres are reinforced to allow for higher pressures, to cope with extra weight on each wheel. The tyre may be heavier and less flexible, which means they're noisier and use more fuel. They could last longer, as the stiffer structure will be under less stress, and less likely to be damaged by hitting potholes and kerbs. 

I've actually just gone ahead and purchased some non-XL Goodyear Vector 4Season Gen-IIs  :) (I've had the Gen-Is for a few years)

1 hour ago, MattChr said:

A little guide on XL tyres: https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/reinforced-tyres-advantages-and-disadvantages

Basically, XL tyres are reinforced to allow for higher pressures, to cope with extra weight on each wheel. The tyre may be heavier and less flexible, which means they're noisier and use more fuel. They could last longer, as the stiffer structure will be under less stress, and less likely to be damaged by hitting potholes and kerbs. 

I’ve also seen that:

• XL - This stands for Extra Load and is commonly found on cars and MPV's where the need to carry extra weight is present, even only occasionally. 4x4's also often use these tyres because of the extra pressure through four-wheel drive and cornering.

so maybe this is why these tyres are available more than they used to be? Some sites suggest using a higher tyre pressure but I still use the recommended Yeti pressure on the CrossClimate XL tyres I have fitted and really did not notice any change in road noise etc., when I made the change.

XL marked tyres were commonly the OEM fit on Mk2 Fabia vRS / Monte Carlo in 205/40 R 17. Some had the XL and some not.

Neither of these models are heavy or 4x4.   

just those 75, 86 or105ps 1.2 TSI / 1.6TDI or 180ps 1.4TSI.

Edited by AwaoffSki