Skoda is doing well it seems

2 hours ago, TonyTonic said:

So on a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 being the lesser and 10 the greater. 10 is a perfect car. 1 is a wheelbarrow.

Where would you place the A6 and the superb....not taking into account the issues you have as they are not applicable to ALL Superbs.

I had replacement Superb (2 so far) while car was on service, both had approximately same issues as mine. So yeah I don't think its isolated case.

But if I would rate the quality of the car it would be 6 out of 10. Looks 10/10 (I can't find a car that looks better these days, to my eyes of course), the way it drives 9/10. Performance 7/10 ( I'm little disappointed with 190hp on my diesel, expected little better acceleration. Few days ago I had literally drag race over high way with A6 with 170hp and he was faster. How is that freaking possible, his car weighted 1.9 tons). I also broke few plastic parts under car while driving in deep snow when going to check our weekend house. Of course I had to pay for that, was my fault that I expected car to drive over high snow. I have about 7 different noise sources and almost none were confirmed by the dealer. Mostly I got responses "that's normal", "something in trunk",  "harden plastic because of winter conditions", etc... 

Audi is Audi. Quality was good, performance awesome, noise insulation was amazing. Based on my income I set specific limit to how much I'm prepared to pay for a car, and for that budget Superb was perfect. It was also "new" so I was sure I will not have any issues and even if I do, dealer will fix them quickly under warranty. I was very very much wrong. If I'd go back being able to rewrite history, I would get used A6 instead of Superb. Without a blink. Price is much higher, but at least the dealers don't come out with words like "that's normal" when car sounds like 15 years instead of 7 months old. The biggest concern was space and price at the time, but I don't yet have a child so after some time I realized I really don't need that big car.

In Slovenia we don't have ability to lease cars only. Here you purchase them. You can "buy" it using leasing which means you are not the owner of the car till you buy it out. But your lease is 1% per month (6 years and you have to prepay 28%) so if you ask me the biggest difference is that the dealer can anytime take car back if you do not meet terms of agreement. Which is worse than bank loan. But its easier to get. Our banks and loans just don't work unless you have really really stable job. I'm self employed so I can forget about getting a loan. 

P.S.: Just for reference, my superb will cost total 37.000€. The Audi dealership had some discounts now so you could get Audi A6 with approximately same configuration for about 45.000€.

Edited by JackySi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JackySi said:

I had replacement Superb (2 so far) while car was on service, both had approximately same issues as mine. So yeah I don't think its isolated case.

But if I would rate the quality of the car it would be 6 out of 10. Looks 10/10 (I can't find a car that looks better these days, to my eyes of course), the way it drives 9/10. Performance 7/10 ( I'm little disappointed with 190hp on my diesel, expected little better acceleration. Few days ago I had literally drag race over high way with A6 with 170hp and he was faster. How is that freaking possible, his car weighted 1.9 tons). I also broke few plastic parts under car while driving in deep snow when going to check our weekend house. Of course I had to pay for that, was my fault that I expected car to drive over high snow. I have about 7 different noise sources and almost none were confirmed by the dealer. Mostly I got responses "that's normal", "something in trunk",  "harden plastic because of winter conditions", etc... 

Audi is Audi. Quality was good, performance awesome, noise insulation was amazing. Based on my income I set specific limit to how much I'm prepared to pay for a car, and for that budget Superb was perfect. It was also "new" so I was sure I will not have any issues and even if I do, dealer will fix them quickly under warranty. I was very very much wrong. If I'd go back being able to rewrite history, I would get used A6 instead of Superb. Without a blink. Price is much higher, but at least the dealers don't come out with words like "that's normal" when car sounds like 15 years instead of 7 months old. The biggest concern was space and price at the time, but I don't yet have a child so after some time I realized I really don't need that big car.

In Slovenia we don't have ability to lease cars only. Here you purchase them. You can "buy" it using leasing which means you are not the owner of the car till you buy it out. But your lease is 1% per month (6 years and you have to prepay 28%) so if you ask me the biggest difference is that the dealer can anytime take car back if you do not meet terms of agreement. Which is worse than bank loan. But its easier to get. Our banks and loans just don't work unless you have really really stable job. I'm self employed so I can forget about getting a loan. 

P.S.: Just for reference, my superb will cost total 37.000€. The Audi dealership had some discounts now so you could get Audi A6 with approximately same configuration for about 45.000€.

I test drove a new A6 the other day before I 'discovered' the Superb, it is indeed  a nice machine, good deals too with the new A6 coming out in June. BUT...it is much smaller than I expected inside. Especially in the back, when I put my seat for my driving the seat touches my knees in the backseat and that's not good when we drive from London to Croatia :)

1 hour ago, JackySi said:

Im only joking about here so dont take this personal but....it sounds like you bought the wrong car....

Not fast enough

To low for snow

To big

Falling apart already

I switched from an A6 too and I felt it had noticeably better materials, plastics and (some) switchgear compared to the Superb. If only Skoda provided a better profiled, smoother window switch with a longer throw it would feel so much nicer for something so regularly used. I haven’t suffered any squeaks or rattles yet though.

The A6 (S-Line 3.0 245 Avant) had much, much better damping, less wind noise and better insulation in general. It had a firmer ride that also managed to be more compliant and comfortable. If I keep the Superb outside of warranty I might be tempted to try a decent set of shocks if changing away from P7’s hasn’t improved things dramatically. Even with the the terrible Pirellis I find the steering much better on the Superb though. Better weight and feedback compared to the rather numb A6. On anything other than dynamic mode, the A6 steering felt totally detached from the road.

I got rid of the A6 last year before values fell off the cliff… might be tempted back with the new one someday though. I also considered a Passat, but preferred the Superb interior. I felt the Passat dash looks quirky and boring at the same time… how is that possible? I also prefer the practicality of a hatch and the Superb 3 was pretty much the first (suitable) Skoda that I liked the design of… no death threats please :D

@JackySi, my A6 had 40bhp over factory output figures (282bhp) so it depends what the 170 you raced actually had. I test drove a 190 Superb and remembered it being quite sluggish so I expected the 150 to be worse. It’s all subjective, but the 150 actually seemed nippier and faster to rev etc. Might be worth trying the Audi acceleration mod with VCDS? I doubt I will bother putting the Superb on the dyno, but it might be interesting to see the comparison with the A6/factory figures.

@TonyTonic, the rear of the Superb is very spacious and practical, but hand on heart, the A6 was a nicer place to sit… even with less space.

As for Skoda being cool, I don’t think that’s the case. If Skoda has any aspirations I feel it’s more for the Volvo market. Very hard to compete with the Audi marketing juggernaut and I don’t think they would want or be allowed to. You will always get ill-informed badge snobs, but when you have to explain to the majority of average people how it’s actually a VW and all about the rally heritage etc. then it’s not cool. Seat probably has more “cool” models than Skoda.

BTW, for people that don’t like the negative posts, just click to ignore that member’s posts… job done. If they aren’t breaking rules then they have just as much right to post here as anyone else.

Edited by Alan_P
  • Like 2

I reckon your choice is under-the-radar ability (Superb) vs prestige (A6). I’ve always seen Skodas as the best value VWs, so wouldn’t bother with the (rather anonymous) Passat.

Edited by MorrisOx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Whenwillilearn said:

So why do we buy skodas? After all they are doing well as stated so cars are selling (or leasing) well.

For the badge?

We shop to a budget?

The chance to buy into VAG for all its glory?

Sensibility?

........?

I chose mine based on reviews, reputation, value and, importantly, a test drive. Most important of all? It's a good looking car. Not beautiful, but handsome. I gave the dealer my 2008 Brera and cash for his demonstator/daily drive.

As luck would have it, I got a good one.

• Like 1

I buy a car based on whether it meets my spec. I have never considered the badge on the front and couldn't give a tuppeny bit where it comes from.

1. Value for money.
  2. Ride quality.
  3. Petrol engine.
  4. Autobox. (NOT CVT!) 
  5. Interior quality and space.
  6. No significant evidence of widespread tech issues with the car/model.
  7. Has the tech I want.  
  8. Dealer support locally.
  9. External looks. 
  10. And most important; can I afford it? :biggrin: 

Last 2 cars the Superb won out by a country mile. Not perfect, as no car ever will be, but ticked most of the boxes for me.  At the moment Volvo are looking a good contender in the research for the next one. 

• Like 1

Im only joking about here so dont take this personal but....it sounds like you bought the wrong car....

Not fast enough

To low for snow

To big

Falling apart already

Ugh some how this sort of snow is once in 10 years here so didn't really predict that as an issue when purchasing a car... Not going to get SUV for 1 time snow driving... >_<. Regarding space, I thought this car will last me 6-10 years. I'm 25 years old so a child is high possibility in that time frame. I always think long term when purchasing big stuff like a car. I get attached to things I love. And I really LOVE cars.

Every thing else you commented simply questions Skoda's quality not my judgement... 

1 hour ago, Alan_P said:

I switched from an A6 too and I felt it had noticeably better materials, plastics and (some) switchgear compared to the Superb. If only Skoda provided a better profiled, smoother window switch with a longer throw it would feel so much nicer for something so regularly used. I haven’t suffered any squeaks or rattles yet though.

The A6 (S-Line 3.0 245 Avant) had much, much better damping, less wind noise and better insulation in general. It had a firmer ride that also managed to be more compliant and comfortable. If I keep the Superb outside of warranty I might be tempted to try a decent set of shocks if changing away from P7’s hasn’t improved things dramatically. Even with the the terrible Pirellis I find the steering much better on the Superb though. Better weight and feedback compared to the rather numb A6. On anything other than dynamic mode, the A6 steering felt totally detached from the road.

I got rid of the A6 last year before values fell off the cliff… might be tempted back with the new one someday though. I also considered a Passat, but preferred the Superb interior. I felt the Passat dash looks quirky and boring at the same time… how is that possible? I also prefer the practicality of a hatch and the Superb 3 was pretty much the first (suitable) Skoda that I liked the design of… no death threats please :D

@JackySi, my A6 had 40bhp over factory output figures (282bhp) so it depends what the 170 you raced actually had. I test drove a 190 Superb and remembered it being quite sluggish so I expected the 150 to be worse. It’s all subjective, but the 150 actually seemed nippier and faster to rev etc. Might be worth trying the Audi acceleration mod with VCDS? I doubt I will bother putting the Superb on the dyno, but it might be interesting to see the comparison with the A6/factory figures.

@TonyTonic, the rear of the Superb is very spacious and practical, but hand on heart, the A6 was a nicer place to sit… even with less space.

As for Skoda being cool, I don’t think that’s the case. If Skoda has any aspirations I feel it’s more for the Volvo market. Very hard to compete with the Audi marketing juggernaut and I don’t think they would want or be allowed to. You will always get ill-informed badge snobs, but when you have to explain to the majority of average people how it’s actually a VW and all about the rally heritage etc. then it’s not cool. Seat probably has more “cool” models than Skoda.

BTW, for people that don’t like the negative posts, just click to ignore that member’s posts… job done. If they aren’t breaking rules then they have just as much right to post here as anyone else.

Good post. Not sure about Audi horse power since the guy has stock 2.0 TDI 170hp from 2011, didn't put it on Dyno though ^^. I agree about 150hp version. I had it for 1 week ( service ) and I also felt it has better acceleration from 0 - 130km/h. More responsive engine ( smaller turbo ). The audi mod is just for pedal throttle input. It makes no difference when you floor it. If you have sport mode and you floor it till the "click" the car does max acceleration. No mod will change that ( of course unless you tune the ecu/engine ). Otherwise I feel better space in Superb vs A6 too. Front, Back and Boot space. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alan_P said:

Very interesting… I had no idea it was a different turbo. Not ideal within warranty, but maybe a good candidate for a remap then?

Could be yeah :D. Seen some people talk about 220hp and up to 240hp max (not sure if anything else was changed). But injectors/pump call short at higher remap I guess (far from expert)
Not sure I would trust tuners here though... 

Edited by JackySi
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Whenwillilearn said:

To low for snow

dealer can't even explain why my car sits lower than another brothers

my with DCC

20170613_Michelin_1_p25.thumb.jpg.1c7153d99cdf621fd1c5ae4486d105f9.jpg

JR_RS's wirh DCC

171006_SS3_BriSkoda_JR_RS_DCC_ed.thumb.jpg.8a2d3598462f6f208133d711711a3f1d.jpg

Texxus(Drive2.com) with PFA(rough road)

170201_SS3_Drive2ru_Texxus_PFA_ed.thumb.jpg.5381c620b0f044894c32423025fb9e09.jpg

SaggitariusA(Drive2.com) with DCC+PFA

5ac4744f053c1_171227_SS3_Drive2ru_SaggitariusA_PPDDCC_ed.thumb.jpg.1ca692b7aca50ce65ea023055a5c34fa.jpg

Sportline with ????
180116_SS3_Sportline_GreenMotors_ed_25p.thumb.jpg.527f6c038e7eed0b20d259e61ad51b93.jpg

12 hours ago, Whenwillilearn said:

So why do we buy skodas? After all they are doing well as stated so cars are selling (or leasing) well.

For the badge?

We shop to a budget?

The chance to buy into VAG for all its glory?

Sensibility?

........?

Because they are good cars. End of. 

You’ve had a bad experience. All manufacturers drop the ball.  I can, with some level of confidence say that any Škoda I’ve had has been more reliable and fault free than any Audi that that my friends and work colleagues have owned/do own.

Would I own another one? Yes I’ve ordered my 2nd Superb and for what I’m paying I could have bought a fair few other well regarded cars both new and used but I just wanted another Superb. Oh and shock horror I would probably have gone for a Hyundai i30N if I didn’t need the space.  Oh no another ‘budget’ brand, if only I worked harder at school. 

Just because something is cheaper doesn’t mean it’s compromised or substandard in any way.  It also doesn’t mean those who chose a cheaper alternative doesn’t automatically mean they can’t afford ‘better’. A fool and his money are easily parted. 

Oh oh and don’t get me started on the Aldi comment; that’s  probably the biggest load of 5hi7 I’ve ever seen posted on this forum. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Really, no basis in truth?

Nobody shopping there with prestige cars that are keepers, maybe driving the daily driver while the weekend cars are parked at home,

working people, & retired people, people with several cars that they own, wearing their personal plates because they hide if new or older loved and cherished / valued.

There are areas of the UK where people will be put off having an Octavia, Superb or even some Mercedes models because they are seen mostly as being used as Taxis / Private Hire Cars. Then pretty much cheap / bargain cars used.

They have been what is used by Taxi Fleet buyers for years.

Some Areas are the same with BMW's and Audi's, like Aberdeen / Aberdeenshire. Much Cheapness and not Prestige, just an ex Fleet / Lease car, 

same with Jaguars.

Edited by AwaoffSki

37 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

There are areas of the UK where people will be put off having an Octavia, Superb or even some Mercedes models because they are seen mostly as being used as Taxis / Private Hire Cars. Then pretty much cheap / bargain cars used.

The fact that they are used as taxis just enhances their reputation for me. My number one priority is reliability as (Just like a taxi driver), if I can't get to work I don't get paid. I have never had one unplanned day off the road with any of the three Superbs I've had. Others have been unlucky but there is an old adage "if you like something you will tell 3 people about it. If you don't like it, you will tell 10". I've owned and driven Audi A6, Jaguar Sovereign and S type, BMW 3 and 5 series, and all have their strong and weak points. For me the Superb was better value for money (which is not the same as cheap) than any of the other cars that met my minimum criteria. That's why I bought it. 

Not sure I understand the point about supermarkets. The only reason I have never shopped in Aldi is because there isn't one near me. Anyone remember the days when Tesco was the place you shopped if you couldn't afford to go anywhere else? It was around the same time that M&S was the best-selling clothes shop on the high street...

• Like 1

Point about supermarkets.

The member that posted yesterday.

'Those who afford real luxuries do not shop at Aldi'.   

Maybe that was a joke, maybe they send the Au Pair in the family MINI or Polo!

& Plenty Superb and Octavia taxi's pick up shoppers at the Budget Supermarkets.  That will be due to reliability, or cheap lease / finance deals and a big boot.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 2

On 4/2/2018 at 22:28, Whenwillilearn said:

Are skodas 'cool' now?

I wasn't under the impression they were. Im sure a lot of drivers would rather have a 'basic spec' bmw or audi rather than a get more toys skoda. 

Thats just my opinion. 

Skodas are driven by something different though....

Yes !!

24 Feb 2018 (6).JPG

• Like 1

for 50.000€ you get 55 square meters apartment here. I don't find Superb bargain deal. Its not Mercedes S class, but really for Superb's price there is A LOT other choices (smaller, but cheaper). For Škoda that's their best and most expensive car. Noises and rattles in such car are unacceptable. For me Octavia is bargain deal. You get a lot for small price. 

Talking about Aldi here that's just weird... Even most rich people could shop there, not sure what does store brand have to do with anything. Its not like brand stands for "for the poor". 

4 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

Point about supermarkets.

The member that posted yesterday.

'Those who afford real luxuries do not shop at Aldi'.   

Maybe that was a joke, maybe they send the Au Pair in the family MINI or Polo!

& Plenty Superb and Octavia taxi's pick up shoppers at the Budget Supermarkets.  That will be due to reliability, or cheap lease / finance deals and a big boot.

Yes a little sense of humour is required on the forum i feel. 

Yes a little sense of humour is required on the forum i feel. 

As far as I can see, 93.7% of Briskoda members have little or no sense of humour.

They skip ticking that option when speccing up. ;)

Edited by xman
  • Haha 1

On 03/04/2018 at 09:37, AwaoffSki said:

Actually those that can afford the BMW probably do shop at Aldi, Lidl, Home Bargains, B&M.  and know the cost of everything and the value.

Maybe those that lease them & can not afford them but the company can and the HMRC helps out shop at Waitrose, 

Spot on.

On 03/04/2018 at 18:48, TonyTonic said:

I test drove a new A6 the other day before I 'discovered' the Superb, it is indeed  a nice machine, good deals too with the new A6 coming out in June. BUT...it is much smaller than I expected inside. Especially in the back, when I put my seat for my driving the seat touches my knees in the backseat and that's not good when we drive from London to Croatia :)

As I've said on here before I had an A6 Avant S-Line prior to the Skoda Superb.

It was a very nice car but I never felt it was as "luxurious" as the Audi brand would have you believe.  As you say it was a good bit smaller than the Superb which was one of the big swings for me as I have 3 growing kids!

Audi's are by no means faultless.  Problems I had on mine:

• The bonnet wouldn't shut properly, and the "open" sensor would appear at weird times eg when on the motorway at 75mph.
  • Brake pad sensors completely died, even after new pads the sensors still showed up as needing replacing.
  • Tyre pressure monitor flashing up at completely random times even when tyres were all fine
  • Timing belt went at 70k miles
  • Terrible rattle from passenger side window
  • And the worst of all- a coolant leak which I just caught in time before entire engine seized. Again at 70k miles.  

Audis are lovely cars but the above shows that driving them is no utopia- faults occur in all brands.  

1 hour ago, Mickey43 said:

As I've said on here before I had an A6 Avant S-Line prior to the Skoda Superb.

It was a very nice car but I never felt it was as "luxurious" as the Audi brand would have you believe.  As you say it was a good bit smaller than the Superb which was one of the big swings for me as I have 3 growing kids!

Audi's are by no means faultless.  Problems I had on mine:

• The bonnet wouldn't shut properly, and the "open" sensor would appear at weird times eg when on the motorway at 75mph.
  • Brake pad sensors completely died, even after new pads the sensors still showed up as needing replacing.
  • Tyre pressure monitor flashing up at completely random times even when tyres were all fine
  • Timing belt went at 70k miles
  • Terrible rattle from passenger side window
  • And the worst of all- a coolant leak which I just caught in time before entire engine seized. Again at 70k miles.  

Audis are lovely cars but the above shows that driving them is no utopia- faults occur in all brands.  

Agreed. All cars might have issues that's just normal. There is A LOT of moving parts and parts in general. As you said, basically there is no car without some sort of issues. Some start soon some come later.
But at Audi people don't refuse warranty claims or make fool out of you that not all cars are the same... 

Also I'm sure you've had less rattles than I have:
- Front suspension ( wishbone arms some say is the word for it, but these are also loud under smaller holes not just big ones )
- Rear suspension ( knocking sound over bumps, sometimes you can hear it through music )
- Front passenger doors knocking ( sounds like lock is jumping on some metal and its really really loud, at 50% volume ( canton ) I can still hear it )
- Rattles in driver's air vents 
- Rattles in drivers seat head rest ( you hear it just when you put your head back, very comforting hearing plastic sound )
- Drivers door handle ( plastic interior ) clicks when you pull it, like its jumping out of plastic socket inside doors
AND MORE...

Some of these were refused by the dealer at first, till I got really mad. But now I'm waiting, waiting and waiting, to get schedule for fixes. The rattles are so bad I'm tired of driving this car. 
Basically I'm mostly disappointed by the dealership, so my next car is not going to be either VW, Audi or Skoda (they're biggest service for the 3 brands in Slovenia).