At what rate do the indicators flash

A strange question I know but does anyone know if the indicators on an Octy flash at a set rate?

I am working on a project to create a dynamic indicator unit.

It's difficult to explain the concept but I am trying to create a "bulb" that will flash as normal but also have a dynamic element where additional LEDS will light up in a circular pattern to give the impression of a spinning ring around the main light.  Think of a ferris wheel with just one light on the rim moving around a fixed light in the centre.

In order to make it look right, I need to know how long the pulse is.  I need the "moving" part to complete one full revolution for each pulse.  

I'm hoping to be able to have left side rear indicators appear to turn anti-clockwise and the right side rear clockwise.

Please don't get too excited as its just a proof of concept I'm working on right now, any prototype would need a lot of work to get it small enough to fit in a standard size package.

You need to scope the indicator signal to the bulb, also check the PWM state as that can often play havoc if you are using it as a trigger for another electronic circuit.

ISO12509 is the standard for Road Lighting for Construction Equipment which mirrors the EC directive. 60-90 Hz from memory. You will need ‘e’ approval for anything you release to market.

Lighting control modules dictate the flash rate, there’s nothing clever in bulbs.

Also keep in mind that when the hazards are switched on and the ignition is switched off, ON time is shorter and OFF time is longer. Something like 25% / 75% (instead of 50% / 50% when ignition is on).

• Like 1

So far, I have calculated that my Skippy flashes 100 times every 80 seconds.

That's irrespective of mode i.e. indicating or hazard lights.

0.8 flashes per second.

0.4 seconds on and then 0.4 second off.

Using an analogue meter shows a nice regular pulse of 12 volts.