Lowering and uprating Monte Carlo estate suspension

Hi all.

Not posted on here for some time, as I had an Octavia vRS from 2007 to 2010, then onto other cars (company vehicles)

Recently my good wife got a 1.2 110hp petrol 2016 Monte Carlo estate and is generally very happy with her car and how it drives - except the suspension.

She is coming from a Fiesta ST so much harder and flat cornering, and occasionally drives my Focus ST which is nearly as stiff, so misses the taught handling.

Also the ride height is frankly ridiculous on the Fabia, so lowering quite a bit would be welcome.

I'm a confident spannerer so doing the job isn't a problem, but wondered what are the thoughts on fellow Fabia owners with regards to what to go for.

Don't really fancy just replacing springs as I feel shocks and springs need to be designed to work together (please feel free to correct me if not the case), and don't want to spend more than say £400 on components ideally.

Not looking for ground hugging lows, just so it doesn't look like a tractor and handles nicely with limited roll.

Ride quality not especially important but not too crashy.

Any thoughts and pointers would be appreciated.

Does your wife`s Monte come with factory fitted sports suspension, that gets you 15mm lower than standard and a little bit harder.

I would sugest you try lowering with eibach progresive springs or if you want more adjustability go for coilowers such as KW, they are quite expensive but woth the money.

I just bought a set of Diranza lowering springs for my Estate as I recently changed to 17 inch alloys and it looks like it’s on stilts.

Lowering mine will be about 30 mil front and 40 mil rear.

For £90 you cannot complain of that well known auction site.

Davy

Thanks for the replies.

Not 100% sue what suspension it has on now tbh. Will see if I can find out. It does look like an off roader though, so wouldn't be suprised if its standard.

Our youngest daughter has a hatch version of the same car so will compare.

I had Eibach springs fitted once as a factory option on a Mazda 6. Made the car sit well and not too shabby round corners, but it crashed straight through the factory shock damping wise, which is why I was looking for a matching set if possible.

Will look into the coil overs but think it will be cost prohobitive - then again, if it transpires there is nothing else !

The rear springs are more poundage on the estate. The nose down stance actually helps the traction and handling, and even if you lower it the handling is a bit better when the front does not go light under acceleration.

If you are going for changing springs and dampers maybe as well to spend just a little more and get Coil overs rather.

Any crashy ride on a Fabia's tyres and platform even with the Skoda so called 'Sport Suspension. 

Nothing different really from the Fabia, or the Mk2 to the all new 3rd Generation yet 5th version of a Fabia.

On 08/04/2018 at 10:08, Skodaboy1983 said:

I just bought a set of Diranza lowering springs for my Estate as I recently changed to 17 inch alloys and it looks like it’s on stilts.

Lowering mine will be about 30 mil front and 40 mil rear.

For £90 you cannot complain of that well known auction site.

Davy

Hi Davy. Did you get the springs installed and have you any thoughts on them so far?

I'm tempted down this route now, as the daughters Monte Carlo is lower and rides much better, so we have concluded the difference must be just the factory sport springs.

Ideally we want something like the look of my ST, but appreciate that has 19s and the arch looks much smaller, but here's hoping.. ;)

IMG_0457.JPG

IMG_0458.JPG

Hi Damian,

Unfortunately I made the decision last night and have gone with some Vogtland 30mm lowering springs, for a reasonable £124 shipped.

Budget was always tight (ish) as it is for my other half that doesn't really push her car to the limit, just likes it to ride firm and not squidge everywhere - as it does now.

• 2 years later...

Bump-tastic thread alert.

Doh... Please ignore this bump. The wife has just seen it and moaned at e as apparently a new floor in the house is more important than suspension.  😪

Thanks.

Edited by twonks