Gear linkage slop, how to replace bushes

Ive had lots of play in my gear linkage for a while, when in gear there is significant movement left and right on the lever, its got to the stage that 5th and 2nd gear are becoming difficult to get I have to really make sure the lever is as far right/left as possible before trying to engage the gear or it wont go in.

Ive reset the cables a few times and box is otherwise silky smooth. Its more going from 3rd to 2nd, and 4th to 5th which give issues which makes me think its the bushes not allowing enough movement.

Ive had someone hold the bowden ends on the gearbox still whilst wiggling the gearstick and the movement seems to be coming from the cables at the end underneath the gearstick as opposed to the gearbox end.

Does anyone know the part numbers of the bushes that need changing under here? Would i be best to get a 2nd hand low mileage shifter mechanism and fitting that instead?

Advice would be very much appreciated as the etka diagrams are a bit vague to me for these parts

Thanks ive already had a look and found this https://skoda.7zap.com/en/cz/fabia/fab/2007-453/7/711-711035/

but it wasnt very helpful as doest show the parts between the lever and the cables whcih i think is where the wear is

Also does anyone know if the 5 and 6 speed shifters are the same? theres no mention of a specific 6 speed one on those diagrams. 

Would i be able to get a 5 speed one off a low mileage fabia as there are plenty about on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X6q0711699.TRS0&_nkw=6q0711699&_sacat=0? Maybe?

I guess you've checked that your VIN ends with numbers equal to or more than 237711, hence choosing the diagram you did?

Edited by Wino

Yes @Wino my vin is higher than that

thats great that part however its not the main source of the play i don't think. From doing a but more digging it definitely seems to be coming from between the shifter and the connection to the cables.

it seems the best option is a new (used) shifter assembly

2 minutes ago, JWvrs25 said:

seems the best option is a new (used) shifter assembly

Yeah, I'd think so.  Never been in there so can't really visualise how it works and what might wear.

Thanks for that, think im going to get a used one and then i can take it apart and see what is what. 

So to confirm the selector mechanism as shown in that etka link is the correct one for my car? Im assuming it doesn't matter 5 or 6 speed they use the same. 

On those videos on dieselgeek it seems like if you just change the shaft bushings at the top and bottom of the spring then that may eliminate a lot of the side to side movement.

I've not done that on a Fabia but I did it on a mk1 MX5 and it made a big difference

2 minutes ago, Jasonpaul71 said:

On those videos on dieselgeek it seems like if you just change the shaft bushings at the top and bottom of the spring then that may eliminate a lot of the side to side movement.

I've not done that on a Fabia but I did it on a mk1 MX5 and it made a big difference

Ive looked at it but  would be helpful if i could just do a straight swap with the one on the car so its not off the road whilst i mess about with the bushes etc.

I cant pinpoint anywhere specific on the shifter which has major play, it seems all the joints have a small amount which is adding up to make a big amount. Just the side to side cable has more movement at the gearbox side but again do i spend money replacing every bush?

I would take the gaitor off and see how much movement there is in the gear lever from side to side. If there is a lot of movement then it's cheap enough to replace the bushes

There is also a shim mod that you can add on to the ball and socket as well if need be

1 hour ago, JWvrs25 said:

So to confirm the selector mechanism as shown in that etka link is the correct one for my car? Im assuming it doesn't matter 5 or 6 speed they use the same

Yes and yes as far as I can see.