Any thoughts on 2.0TSI?

If you have Lane Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control already then presumably TJA is just a software switch. Does anyone know if its possible to add TJA after the car has been delivered (if the car already has the ACC and LA hardware)?

This is very interesting. We are looking to replace a crv and happened upon a 2.0 tsi whilst looking at a santa fe.. so will watching this with interest.

We have two bears a 1.4 which is the wife’s a 2.0 which is mine. The 1.4 is a great engine, much better than I thought it would be. We’ve had it since last November as the wife’s Yeti contract had come to an end at it was the only Kodiaq we could get in a reasonable deliver time. Average consumption is now 43.5 which is impressive.

I got a 2.0 in early May, I haven’t really pushed it yet as I’ve not had the time to do any long trips and want to bed the engine in, but it seems really keen to go. Fuel consumption so far has been in the low 30’s.

• Like 1

Good to get a side-by-side comparison of the 1.4 TSI and 2.0 TSI from an owner with both easily to hand!

Will be interesting to see how things pan out after the 2.0 TSI has had the chance to bed-in and you've been able to stretch its legs.

On 13. 4. 2018 at 15:22, TheRobinK said:

Slovenia must not be like Ireland.... drive around for long at 160kph/100mph here and you will soo achieve the amazing consumption of zero L/100km. You'll get  that consumption for at least 6 months too....   :dry:

I drive alot in northern Italy, Austria, Croatia and BiH too. In Slovenia, Italy and Austria you can drive quite fast you just need to know where the standard control points are so cruising at 140km/h is normal and pushing it to 160km/h is nothing unordinary. In Croatia i feel the most at ease at pushing my cars over 220km/h regurarly due to lack of traffic control on certain stretches and low fines. In BiH you drive over 100km/ on normal B roads because you can "negotiate" your fine.

I know you have different speed limits, that's why i added the MPG depending on the speed, from my observation of the engines depending on my driving style.

If you check the german forum you will see that everyone is taking either the 2.0TDI 190 or the 2.0TSI 180 due to the fact that in germany you can legaly drive realy fast and they have one of the safest road networks in the world.

On 31. 5. 2018 at 13:10, gojoholo said:

If you have Lane Assist and Adaptive Cruise Control already then presumably TJA is just a software switch. Does anyone know if its possible to add TJA after the car has been delivered (if the car already has the ACC and LA hardware)?

TJA just means that LS works under 60km/h. All cars with LS, ACC and DSG have TJA.

- ACC in my opinion is realy nice, you can use it in congestions and city traffic because it moves your car from standstill and keeps the range very nicely on the highway at all speeds

- LS is so-so becuase the steering is so soft that i have my hands on the steering wheel and it starts beeping "put your hands on the steering wheel", works best on the highway, not so much on B roads due to resistance when crossing the line

- TJA is nice in theory but not so much in practice, due to the fact that you must keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times and because of the light steering it starts to beep even if you have them on (same as LS)

- Park-Assist is perfect for parallel parking but it's more for show because of the user interface for selecting other kind of parking, still haven't mastered it sometimes it spots a parking space sometimes not, but when it does it parks perfectly

- electric seats are a waste of money if the car is driven by 1 driver all the time due to the ammount of space, while it's a must have if you share your car with your better half

- leather is a personal opinion, it cleans better than fabric but with leather you NEED heated/ventilated seats, but with those options + electric seats the price goes up alot

- go for DSG it's realy realy good, especialy because it downshifts automaticly when braking/hill to engine brake, smooth shifts and the 7th speed means lower fuel consumption on the highway

- no point in buying an SUV and skimping on the 4x4, it realy improves the driving experience and road stability on dry/wet/snow

- go for the top 2 190/180 PS engines (TSI or TDI) it's a big heavy car

- buy a superb/octavia if you don't need an SUV -> better fuel economy, lower maintance costs, lower registration fee's, you can get more luxuries for the same price, better handling, the 1.4/1.5 TSI is a realy good option there

15 minutes ago, McGyles said:

All cars with LS, ACC and DSG have TJA

Not true, at least in the UK.

The 'Edition' spec comes with Lane Assist. ACC is an option, or if you have DSG you can have the 'Assistance Pack' which includes ACC + TJA, but costs more than ACC alone.

7 minutes ago, WiggosSideburns said:

Not true, at least in the UK.

The 'Edition' spec comes with Lane Assist. ACC is an option, or if you have DSG you can have the 'Assistance Pack' which includes ACC + TJA, but costs more than ACC alone.

Yes because TJA combines DSG+LS+ACC, if you have all those systems you have TJA. TJA is a disabled limitation on LS, making LS functional at lower speeds (under 60km/h). Theoreticly you could turn TJA on on VCDS if you have LS.

7 hours ago, McGyles said:

TJA just means that LS works under 60km/h. All cars with LS, ACC and DSG have TJA.

- ACC in my opinion is realy nice, you can use it in congestions and city traffic because it moves your car from standstill and keeps the range very nicely on the highway at all speeds

- LS is so-so becuase the steering is so soft that i have my hands on the steering wheel and it starts beeping "put your hands on the steering wheel", works best on the highway, not so much on B roads due to resistance when crossing the line

- TJA is nice in theory but not so much in practice, due to the fact that you must keep your hands on the steering wheel at all times and because of the light steering it starts to beep even if you have them on (same as LS)

- Park-Assist is perfect for parallel parking but it's more for show because of the user interface for selecting other kind of parking, still haven't mastered it sometimes it spots a parking space sometimes not, but when it does it parks perfectly

- electric seats are a waste of money if the car is driven by 1 driver all the time due to the ammount of space, while it's a must have if you share your car with your better half

- leather is a personal opinion, it cleans better than fabric but with leather you NEED heated/ventilated seats, but with those options + electric seats the price goes up alot

- go for DSG it's realy realy good, especialy because it downshifts automaticly when braking/hill to engine brake, smooth shifts and the 7th speed means lower fuel consumption on the highway

- no point in buying an SUV and skimping on the 4x4, it realy improves the driving experience and road stability on dry/wet/snow

- go for the top 2 190/180 PS engines (TSI or TDI) it's a big heavy car

- buy a superb/octavia if you don't need an SUV -> better fuel economy, lower maintance costs, lower registration fee's, you can get more luxuries for the same price, better handling, the 1.4/1.5 TSI is a realy good option there

little confused by the acronyms and models ..

can any point me in the right direction of model / extras to add based on the above and below..

It will be

Petrol 2.0 TSI DSG 4x4

We need electric seats - 2 drivers of different sizes

LED Headlights

ACC adaptive cruise control - nice to have

what are the below?

LS?

TJA?

LS?

I saw the driver assist pack had the above? is that worth adding?

what about the adaptive dampers?

cheers

Rich

@rykard

In the UK The minimum spec if you want Electrically adjustable front seats is the SE L. Its a £1010 option (or £560 for just the drivers seat). If you move up to Edition then electric front seats are included, so then you just have to decide whether you want the other bells and whistles that Edition comes with such as:

Metallic paint

Leather upholstery

Wireless phone charging

Lane Assist (helps keep the car between the white lines when travelling above 40mph) -  McGyles was referring to this as "LS"

Blind Spot detection (warns you if there is a car in your blind spot using an orange light in the wing mirror)

Both the SE L and Edition come with LED headlights and Keyless Entry included.

Adaptive Cruise control is an optional extra on both specs (£305). You can spec the Driver Assistance pack on the SEL for £1260 which is Adaptive Cruise, Lane Assist, Blind Spot and Traffic Jam Assist. On the Edition the pack is only £350 since the Edition has Lane Assist and Blind Spot already (the extra £45 gets you Traffic Jam Assist - which makes Lane Assist work below 40mph ) . 

If you are regularly swapping drivers you may want to consider "Personalisation of Drive Mode Selection" for £45 which remembers lots of settings and ties them to key used to unlock the car. 

Its a big car and you only get rear parking sensors and no camera as standard, so you might want to add front parking sensors (£360) and either the rear view camera (£385) or the Area view camera (£2155 on SE L, £1245 in Edition). 

There is no spare wheel as standard, so if you want one you have to add it as an option.

Given the snow we had last winter you might consider the heated windscreen, heated steering wheel and heated rear seats options (SEL and Edition already have Heated front Seats). 

Lots of other options of course and everyone has there "must haves" which others wouldn't give a second thought (Canton sound, Panoramic sun roof, tow bar). Each to their own, but don't bother with the LED interior lights - entirely underwhelming.

Regarding engine size, don't assume you need the larger engine, the 1.4 engine was very good and many people are very happy with it in the Kodiaq. However, you wont be able to order this any more as it is being replaced by a 1.5 with the same power output. The 2.0 is also being replaced, but by an engine of the same size (going from 180 to 190ps). I suggest you test drive both when you get the chance and make up your own mind.

Edited by gojoholo
  • Like 1

wow this is getting really confusing .

We are hoping to get a test drive in the 1.4 and have requested they get a 2.0 in as well.

The CRV is 2.0 with 150 hp and this feels underpowered at times.

We will talk through the options before we order and hopefully we won't have to spend too much on options....

What options have others added?

The 1.4 tsi is a good engine, it won’t take off like a sports car but it’s not slow by any means. Haven’t really had a chance to test the 2.0 tsi kodiaq yet, as I’m still running it in. Even with only 509 on the clock it’s an eager engine.

Just remember that if you order anything now that’s a new build it will either by a 1.5 or an upgraded 2.0 unless you can find something that’s been built and is in storage.

options I had where 

Heated front and rear seats

front and rear parking sensors 

driver alert

rough road package (go to Irish relatives farms which is like off road on occasion 8-) )

dynamic chassis (gives an excellent motor way ride)

tri zone climate control (stops the I’m too hot/cold arguments)

heated front windshield (brilliant in winter)

leather (easer to clean with dogs)

high beam assist (not as good as Mercedes one, can cut out when it shouldn’t)

rear view camera (its a big car, so very useful)

Space saver tyre

Front and rear dashcam

Edited by Jfhuk
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, rykard said:

What options have others added?

You don’t say we’re you are, but the heated windscreen is a good option, the kids pack if you are going to be carrying kids in the back as being able to turn the child locks on or off from a switch is a great idea. For me a spare wheel is a must. And I added the reverse camara which makes parking in tight spaces a dawdle. But choosing options are a personal thing you just need to add things that you will find benefit from, there is no point in ticking every option and driving the cost up to silly amounts, (which is easily done) tofind you never use them and the only person to benefit is the next owner, that gets lots of toys for a bargain price.

• Like 1

Sorry , I am in the UK. No kids, loads of stuff to chuck in the back, may be replacing the Discovery 3 in the future if it goes ok.

Edited by rykard

1 hour ago, Jfhuk said:

The 1.4 tsi is a good engine, it won’t take off like a sports car but it’s not slow by any means. Haven’t really had a chance to test the 2.0 tsi kodiaq yet, as I’m still running it in. Even with only 509 on the clock it’s an eager engine.

Just remember that if you order anything now that’s a new build it will either by a 1.5 or an upgraded 2.0 unless you can find something that’s been built and is in storage.

options I had where 

Heated front and rear seats

front and rear parking sensors 

driver alert

rough road package (go to Irish relatives farms which is like off road on occasion 8-) )

dynamic chassis (gives an excellent motor way ride)

tri zone climate control (stops the I’m too hot/cold arguments)

heated front windshield (brilliant in winter)

leather (easer to clean with dogs)

high beam assist (not as good as Mercedes one, can cut out when it shouldn’t)

rear view camera (its a big car, so very useful)

Space saver tyre

Front and rear dashcam

was thinking of the rough road package too. What is the dynamic chassis like compared to normal springs?

So the essentials are electrically adjustable driver and passenger seats and LED headlights?

You have ACC as being a nice to have, but as it's optional on all models you're going to have to pay extra for it anyway.

Replacing a Land Rover and considering the Rough Road Package might suggest you spend some time off road?

Check out the Scout model, it has electrically adjustable front seats, LED headlights and the Rough Road Package as standard, plus an increased ride height.

When I was searching my thoughts went like this:

• SE L - lowest spec I was prepared to consider as LED headlights were a must.
  • Edition - seems to be focused on driver aids which I'm not, and didn't want leather seats.
  • Scout - looks better (in my opionion, crater alloys and the silver scuff plates break-up the sea of black plastic), rough road package, plus it had most other options we wanted (front parking sensors, LED interior lighting, alcantara seats).

Heated windscreen and washer nozzles, plus the spare wheel are essentials for me, again these aren't standard on any of the models.

hadn't considered the scout, will have a look over lunch.

We tend to take the discovery if we know the ground may get a little 'messy' as i don't have confidence in the CRV being able to drag itself out. It also gets all the rubbish thrown in to go to the tip as it is quite large. It is also an effortless almost silent cruiser, whereas the CRV needs to be worked a little harder.

52 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

plus an increased ride height

Really? I can't see any mention of that in the specs or the brochure. If true then I can see that would be useful for off-road situations. 

So Skoda UK say, although everything they print should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Check out the blurb on the right...

Capture.thumb.JPG.6e49d13a1c32973e47ddcb7de4986975.JPG

This was taken from the Scout's press release, not sure how 194mm compares with the non-Scout versions...

Capture.JPG.d87bd616e428dc3c2f38a651ee1824b7.JPG

Edited by silver1011

the extra 5mm is important lol.

I think for the use we will have we can probably get away with a standard height vehicle, though I may add the off road pack, though if that goes underneath does that actually reduce the ride height? could this be why the scout is only 5mm higher? but it has a couple of inches of protection added underneath?

2 hours ago, rykard said:

was thinking of the rough road package too. What is the dynamic chassis like compared to normal springs?

Dynamic chassis is good in comfort mode if you like a relaxed ride say on motorways. Sport is a little on the hard side for some people though it does tighten up the steering and the gear changes. There is also a custom setup which I have found the best as you can pick settings from various modes and mix and match them and store them as your settings.