Anyone use Alloygators or similar?

I am sure the wheels on my Monte are made of cheese ... had previous car for 8 years and never dinged the rims, but done it a couple of times now.  On way home earlier, had to mount pavement to get past a lorry parked on one way street.  Used a drop kerb and took it really steady at acute angle and still managed to take some paint off.  Can touch up, but wondering if the rim protectors are worth it?  Any recommendations or advice for or against would be great.  Are they a self-fit or would we need to get tyre supplier to put them on?  Thanks :)

Edited by KernowMaid

I'd be interested to here the pro's and con's of theses too kernow, for my wife's next car.Her lease hire Leon fr goes back in august and she's successfully managed to kerb 3 out of 4 alloys :sadsmile: will have to get them repaired or no doubt face a hefty bill upon final inspection.

20 hours ago, KernowMaid said:

I am sure the wheels on my Monte are made of cheese ... had previous car for 8 years and never dinged the rims, but done it a couple of times now.  On way home earlier, had to mount pavement to get past a lorry parked on one way street.  Used a drop kerb and took it really steady at acute angle and still managed to take some paint off.  Can touch up, but wondering if the rim protectors are worth it?  Any recommendations or advice for or against would be great.  Are they a self-fit or would we need to get tyre supplier to put them on?  Thanks :)

They just clip on, I have seen cars with them on and they suited but 99% of the time make a nice set of wheels look crap, I'd probably recommend getting black if you were to get any colour and hope its a stealthier look.

I would have thought any of these types of protectors will only add a few mm to the rim, to protect it anyway. This first few mm will hit the kerb first, prior to the metal but hey- Did you notice it or was it still too late? You might just be replacing pricey plastic trim ALONG with costly metal! I only base this on surmise but if you hit the kurb hard enough, the weight of a ton and a half of car is gonna chew this rim protector quicker then you can say " How much is it to resurface my precious alloys"?

My wife has a MK2 vRS and I fitted a set of black alloygaitors to a set of new wheels. They weren’t too bad to fit and cost £60 on eBay from alloygaitors store. They are about £100 fitted. They have served their purpose as they have been kerbed and saved the wheels from a refurb. 2 sets of alloygaitors = 1 wheel refurb for diamond cut rims. 

The only problem I see is they have a tendency to collect water which could cause issues if it’s left to sit there for long periods or if salt gets in. I have a set of winter wheels so not an issue. 

I would also recommend black as if you do kerb them, they don’t show as much as other colours. 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Update re Alloygaitors. I fitted them on a brand new set of 17” diamond cut alloys to stop them being kerb damaged. This last week I was forced to remove them and found that the lacquer has all been damaged and the rims have started to corrode. The cost to have them done is going to be £300 which is what I paid for the wheels. Dilemma - pay £300 and have them like new or fit another set of alloygaitors at £60 or £100 fitted to cover up the damage. Didn’t do what I wanted them to do.