Ride Quality

JT71

Just a general observation really, regarding the ride quality and overall refinement on our Citigo SE.  I drive a Mk3 vRS Octavia daily, but at the weekends tend to use SWMBO's car. It's remarkable how well the car rides, particularly for me on long runs, and I never get any complaints of discomfort from the kids in the back.  In the Octavia, it's a different proposition altogether, potholes sending shockwaves through the car, and leaving me on countless occasions to jump out and check there isn't a cracked alloy! I know the two cars are incomparable, but for me it's a real feather in the Citigo's cap that a so called "City" car can work like it does in any environment.  It's no rocket, but there is something I really like about sounding like you drove it like you stole it at comparatively sane speeds!   

This is why the order books are closed on the VW UP GTI.  

So many Silver Surfers and older boy / girl racers got in quick to buy or order them as something else instead of their Taxi Sized Family cars or Sports / Super cars.

115ps of driving pleasure.  

• Like 1

Just done my first longer run, A64 York - Scarborough. The Citigo is very comfortable to drive and copes fairly well with the hills, although I did nearly need to drop to 3rd but it did manage in 4th, dropped to 44mph. That’s probably where a turbo 1L would help?

It was also an economical run, getting 55.2mpg.  

To be honest, I was surprised how well it coped. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/04/2018 at 13:23, JT71 said:

Just a general observation really, regarding the ride quality and overall refinement on our Citigo SE.  I drive a Mk3 vRS Octavia daily, but at the weekends tend to use SWMBO's car. It's remarkable how well the car rides, particularly for me on long runs, and I never get any complaints of discomfort from the kids in the back.  In the Octavia, it's a different proposition altogether, potholes sending shockwaves through the car, and leaving me on countless occasions to jump out and check there isn't a cracked alloy! I know the two cars are incomparable, but for me it's a real feather in the Citigo's cap that a so called "City" car can work like it does in any environment.  It's no rocket, but there is something I really like about sounding like you drove it like you stole it at comparatively sane speeds!   

The Mk3 Octavia is super firm and then allows too much of the suspension thumps through to the cabin. 

This is the worst aspect of the car for me as the Mk1 and Mk2 Octavia didn't do this and neither does any other current Skoda.

All models do it too whether they have independent or torsion beam setup.

Lee

The ride quality is what sold us on the Citigo. It holds the road well, not too much lean in the bends and is compliant enough to be comfortable on poor surfaces. Living in a village up a poorly maintained lane, comfort was a paramount requirement and the Citigo delivers that.

Good point logiclee, I had a Mk2 previously and it was a Rolls Royce compared to this. I cringe every time I drive it, and although I wouldn't say it spoils my enjoyment, the way the wheels sound when they hit a pothole makes me wonder how long they will last......

JT

• 2 weeks later...