AC stopped working just typical

On 26/04/2018 at 22:35, Aston_Bodger said:

Yeah that should work, looks  like a VAG unit, well the photo does anyway.

Took me about an hour to fit.

Trev

Sorry for the lack of updates on here, here was I thinking I had the Sanden compressor fitted on my car, however it appears it’s the Zexel 1K0820803N VZ2.

I have finally had some time to look into the ongoing AC issue. Got the control valve for the Sanden compressor but had to put everything back together as it’s a different part number.

DAD9F83C-ADCB-43BA-A84D-536D398C70F3.jpeg

That's a bit of a bugger, you may as well change the compressor, it may be easier to do it that way, it only has to come out once.

Mines still working as it should and that's after 3 years.

Trev

1 hour ago, Aston_Bodger said:

That's a bit of a bugger, you may as well change the compressor, it may be easier to do it that way, it only has to come out once.

Mines still working as it should and that's after 3 years.

Trev

I was just thinking that I will return the control valve as not fitted and get the compressor, I'm going for the one from eBay can't complain at  £156. Do you know if these need to be filled with PAG46 oil? I asked the seller he told me it already comes with oil inside it. Assuming I have oil inside the system already so I'm not completely sure how much I need to put in etc... 

I had mine from Eurocarparts and it come with instructions how to "bed" it in and stuff, that come with some oil in so I had to drain it out and tell the one who was regassing the AC how much more oil was required, that worked out ok.

I also had a short alternator belt, as I was running the car with out AC, and a new AC compressor not knowing how much oil was in it, when the AC was recharged I just put the normal belt back on and bedded in the compressor as per instructions.

Trev

15 minutes ago, Aston_Bodger said:

I had mine from Eurocarparts and it come with instructions how to "bed" it in and stuff, that come with some oil in so I had to drain it out and tell the one who was regassing the AC how much more oil was required, that worked out ok.

I also had a short alternator belt, as I was running the car with out AC, and a new AC compressor not knowing how much oil was in it, when the AC was recharged I just put the normal belt back on and bedded in the compressor as per instructions.

Trev

Trev,

Thanks for the reply....

Now I have come to another issue the old compressor has ZXL100PG oil in it which means the system has wrong oil in it as Sanden's come with PAG46..... I just ordered the other one as well.... bloody hell!

Ok panic over this is from Valeo site:

Please use the oil specified on the compressor label. Valeo TM compressors ship with ZXL100PG for R134a application. Be advised: ZXL100PG (compliant with ISO Grade 46 standard with a viscosity of 46cSt) is not a PAG100 oil. For use with other refrigerants, TM compressors can also be bought oil-less so that system manufacturers may add oil of their own specification.

Have you had the gas took out yet?, if so they suck the oil out with the gas, its what the air con machine does automatically.

And when you go for a AC service this is what they do, suck the gas and old oil out, regas the system with the correct amount as some is lost over time, and put new oil and dye back in.

I would not worry too much over the oil, there wont be a lot left in the system.

Trev

56 minutes ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Have you had the gas took out yet?, if so they suck the oil out with the gas, its what the air con machine does automatically.

And when you go for a AC service this is what they do, suck the gas and old oil out, regas the system with the correct amount as some is lost over time, and put new oil and dye back in.

I would not worry too much over the oil, there wont be a lot left in the system.

Trev

Thanks again Trev... appreciated

The system is empty yes in-fact I had more gas in there than I should have apparently. He gave me the print out afterwards. It didn’t seem he took all the oil out as well I need to find the print out first and confirm. 

Have ordered the new compressor should be able to change it next weekend.

I think I have read somewhere that you should empty both compressors measure how much came out of the old one and and top the new one with the same amount. Then again I could be wrong. Obviously it must have some oil in there so the new compressor stays lubricated etc...

The compressor I got had something like 800ml in it, and the system called for 850ml?, so I asked for 50ml to be added and things have been ok since. I don't know how much oil was took out on degass, went in the dirty oil pot on the machine.

Not heard of too much gas in it?

Yeah there is some oil in the new compressor, but you cant get it all out, it is quite thin too.

Trev

On 5/7/2018 at 20:50, Aston_Bodger said:

The compressor I got had something like 800ml in it, and the system called for 850ml?, so I asked for 50ml to be added and things have been ok since. I don't know how much oil was took out on degass, went in the dirty oil pot on the machine.

Not heard of too much gas in it?

Yeah there is some oil in the new compressor, but you cant get it all out, it is quite thin too.

Trev

Got the ac compressor it doesn't say how much oil it requires on the sticker nor in the documentation. What is the best way to do this? Do I just empty the old one and add the same amount to the new one? Just to add the new one comes with oil already inside. I don't want to damage the internals of the new compressor I have an AC guy coming over on Monday but the car needs to be used in the meantime...

Trev 800ml is a lot of oil if you ask me....

Edited by arthurd123

Sorry for the confusion, its been ages since I did mine, you are correct 800ml dint sound right to me.

Anyway just checked on the Hella website and they say 100-150ml depending on what compressor you have,  thinking about it now I did not have that much out of mine, hence the top up.

Hope that clears it up?

Trev

On 5/9/2018 at 17:31, Aston_Bodger said:

Sorry for the confusion, its been ages since I did mine, you are correct 800ml dint sound right to me.

Anyway just checked on the Hella website and they say 100-150ml depending on what compressor you have,  thinking about it now I did not have that much out of mine, hence the top up.

Hope that clears it up?

Trev

Hey Trev,

Thanks for clarifying, I have installed the eBay ac compressor this evening, to be honest the sticker said Sigma JP Model 8680 looks like like it was rebranded by a distributor AVA. I suppose you get what you pay for, have also replaced the smaller radiator fan, tested it all working as intended. The guys who sold me the compressor advised they put in 150ml of oil inside. Funny enough my old compressor looked completely dry, there wasn’t a drop of oil coming out at all. Since this was the case I didn’t drain the new compressor I only installed it. 

Got the AC guy coming in Monday to refill and do whatever else needs to be done. Oh yeah forgot to mention the compressor came with new o rings so changed those as well.

Fingers crossed for Monday

EC048F1F-E6B3-4A3B-AB00-F33F0ABFA536.jpeg

Edited by arthurd123

That's ok, like I said its been a few years since I did mine.

Yeah the old one would be empty, as they sucked the oil out with the gas, there was not much left in mine when I stripped it down, lost of wear was noted so would not have lasted much longer I don't think.

Touch wood all will be well on Monday then, let me know how it goes, its supposed to be warm again, when mine was done I was getting 2-3C at the footwell vents and 1-2C at the top vents, nice and cold!!!.

Trev

• Thanks 1

On 11/05/2018 at 19:01, Aston_Bodger said:

That's ok, like I said its been a few years since I did mine.

Yeah the old one would be empty, as they sucked the oil out with the gas, there was not much left in mine when I stripped it down, lost of wear was noted so would not have lasted much longer I don't think.

Touch wood all will be well on Monday then, let me know how it goes, its supposed to be warm again, when mine was done I was getting 2-3C at the footwell vents and 1-2C at the top vents, nice and cold!!!.

Trev

The AC guy came today and sucked all the moisture out, filled it up with refrigerant and boom the AC is working checked it with VCDS and getting 1-2C from the top vents have not blown cold air through the footwell vents so not sure how cold they would get.

Address 08: Auto HVAC  (1Z0 907 044 H)

19:50:53 Group 001: General
  0.0  Compressor Shut-Off Code
  800 /min  Engine Speed 
  0.0 km/h  Vehicle Speed 
  01:44  Standing Time 

19:50:53 Group 002: Compressor
  0.575 A  Compressor Current (actual)
  0.570 A  Compressor Current (specified)
  1000 /min  Compressor Rotations
  3.9 Nm  Compressor Load 

19:50:53 Group 005: Outlet/Footwell Blower Temperature
  1.0°C  Left Outlet Blower Temperature
  1.0°C  Right Outlet Blower Temperature
  9.0°C  Left Footwell Blower Temp.
  13.0°C  Right Footwell Blower Temp.

All in all I saved £160 pounds, I also replaced the the smaller radiator fan, the call out charge for the first AC diagnostics guy, the compressor and refill.

Took a while but got there in the end :) now it's probably be cold and miserable knowing my luck :D 

I would like to thank everyone who contributed to this thread I wouldn't have done it without you, especially @Aston_Bodger and @Wino !

Edited by arthurd123
  • Like 2

Glad we could be of service.

That's what this forum should be about, helping each other out when things get sticky.

The read outs look fine to me, the foot well vents seem a bit high though?, when I did mine I put the direction to foot well just to see what I was getting.

Any more problems you know where to come.

Trev

I had my AC re-gassed towards the end of summer last year, went away bank holiday weekend in May and no AC!  Fans work fine. 

Guess I’ll have to go get it re-gassed again, but wondering if it might be a compressor or something more expensive this time...

49 minutes ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Glad we could be of service.

That's what this forum should be about, helping each other out when things get sticky.

The read outs look fine to me, the foot well vents seem a bit high though?, when I did mine I put the direction to foot well just to see what I was getting.

Any more problems you know where to come.

Trev

Didn't blow cold air through them hence the temps are a bit high forgot to check that at the time was too excited that it actually worked ;) 

Thanks again Trev I'm sure I'll be back at some point...

49 minutes ago, Albie79 said:

I had my AC re-gassed towards the end of summer last year, went away bank holiday weekend in May and no AC!  Fans work fine. 

Guess I’ll have to go get it re-gassed again, but wondering if it might be a compressor or something more expensive this time...

Right as far what the AC guy told me it could be leaking in two places the pressure valve or the condenser, had my condenser replaced 4 years ago now by the same guy still going strong.

If the refrigerant pressure is too low the fans wouldn't of kicked in I believe try plugging it to VCDS and get some Measuring Blocks on it and perhaps look for any fault codes on the HVAC controller.

• Thanks 1