Thinking of Buying Dealer Paint Protection

Yes but not from a Dealership with them profiting & then the commission to the salesperson and applied by a subcontractor making a living.

Buy it from a trusted supplier, 'much cheapness' and apply it yourself. 'Much Cheapness'.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Offski said:

Yes but not from a Dealership with them profiting & then the commission to the salesperson and applied by a subcontractor making a living.

Buy it from a trusted supplier, 'much cheapness' and apply it yourself. 'Much Cheapness'.

+1. Don’t. What Offski says. Plenty of advice available. Save yourself some money. Get a sense of achievement when you’ve done it. Aaaaaaaaaand, knowledge that it’s been done properly. 

5 hours ago, Offski said:

Buy Dealership paint protection, but not from a Dealership. 

It's unlike you to confuse people with your posts, George. 

Agree with all of the above, but am I alone in feeling at least a bit sorry for the dealer prep guys? Their efforts are touted by the salesmen as transformational (we've all heard "years of protection", "invisible shield around the car", "won't have to wash it for months on end", "pays for itself" etc). So how long are the  prep guys given to provide this transformational service? I've no idea, but I'm guessing that since dealers turn out tens of cars a day, particularly at plate-change time, it isn't a day per car or even half a day. Personally I'd rather see the salesmen reined in and forced to be a bit more honest about what is really being sold and the results it will achieve.

Or - even better - they could get into a collaboration with a local professional detailer and offer the detailer's services in return for a commission. I'd have bought that.

• Like 1

When I first detailed my Octavia estate it was in a pretty bad way.  Just over 3 years old/76K miles and going by the swirls all over the paintwork it'd only ever been through automated car washes.

I spent 7 hours detailing it to get it to a reasonable standard which included washing/claying/machine polishing/sealing.  

Now a brand new car shouldn't need a machine polish and possibly not even claying so I reckon a decent wash and application of sealant can be done in 1-2 hours.

Does the dealer or the manager do that much other than sit waiting for sales people to come into the office pleading for them to give the customer more discount?

Cars need prepared for sale after the wraps come off, the PDI is done and it is going to a customer.

The application of a different 'paint protector', be it a wax / polish or magic stuff takes much the same time and effort.

Where it is done & by whom is all very Dealership Group dependent.

Lets just say after BREXIT lets hope there is no drying up of the competent and quick hard workers that in the main do it.

Edited by Offski
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, threadbear said:

Generally speaking when I’ve picked up a new car from a dealer it has looked pretty good. When it’s first wash is due that is when I start applying my love and attention in the way of Autoglym or Autofinesse products. I have to say my glass cleaning efforts are never quite as good as they could be. 

I find cleaning and polishing the cars quite therapeutic and a time to be alone in my head. Save your money, buy some kit, do it yourself. 

Same here threadbear, it’s a little escape for me.

Davy

• Like 1