USB Socket in phone box

On 13/05/2018 at 15:22, gojoholo said:

Can someone please post a picture of the usb socket in the phone compartment? I'm getting my new Kodiaq this week and I want to buy a cable for my phone to use android auto. I think the tidiest option would be one of these with the angled head, but I don't know whether to get right-handed or left-handed!

Hello, it is actually possible to find right angled plugs that can be plugged either direction:

image.png.293839af1f5b3b1ce76a4fcf72486ac5.png

It also has a nice low profile connection to the cable so you can slide the phone box cover closed without removing the cable.

They can be found on eBay

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Braided-90-Degree-Right-Angle-Type-C-Micro-USB-Fast-Data-Sync-Charger-Cable/273021538472?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=572256969513&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Edited by eddomak
more details

5 hours ago, eddomak said:

Hello, it is actually possible to find right angled plugs that can be plugged either direction:

I bought something that looks very much like that from Amazon... the quality was abysmal and it only works plugged in one way (the wrong way), despite what it claims.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 18/05/2018 at 18:40, gojoholo said:

With another phone of course....

phonebox.thumb.jpg.0d14e04feca6946f158aab84974ea822.jpg

Hi, just came across this. great detail. question i have, can you close the sliding door when the cable is connected?
Have a Samsung S8 so thinking of getting this cable to suit.

would love to be able to close the door.

thanks again...

1 hour ago, vRS 170TDi Cork said:

Hi, just came across this. great detail. question i have, can you close the sliding door when the cable is connected?

Yes. You can even shut it with a standard USB cable (or, at least, you can with an Apple USB<>lightning cable) - it just bends the wire really close to the plug, which is why people (including me) have looked for right-angled connectors.

I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076DW7M5S/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&amp;psc=1

to get all sockets aligned correctly and not to twist the cable.

You have to look for mirror version of this for UK.

BTW, 230V and two USB sockets are option in here. So not all mainland cars will have it.

You'd hope it would be a simple case of unplugging the single and plugging in the double. It's on the other side of the ashtray on LHD models though, looking at the shape of the plastic insert it might not be so straightforward if the shape is different.

Contact these guys, they'll be able to source you one...

https://www.skoda-parts.com/catalog/kodiaq/spare-parts/electrical-equipment-289.html

Be sure to send the bill to Skoda UK and ask them why they're being so tight :D

kodiaq-sportline-connectivity-06.jpg.18c8cd70c30ae537c0ef70ec81bd284e.jpg

Edited by silver1011

16 hours ago, vRS 170TDi Cork said:

can you close the sliding door when the cable is connected

Sorry for the slow reply. As WiggosSideburns has already said, yes, you can close the sliding door. There is plenty of clearance with the angled connector in place.. 

For what its worth I discovered that my phone charges much faster when plugged into the lighter than into the USB, so I got a 2xusb adapter to fit inside the lighter socket and a right angled cable plus a wireless charger, and it works great. No visible cables.

I guess if you use android auto then you need to use the usb, though. I tried it once when I first bought it but couldn't think of a use for it so just went back to Bluetooth. 

21 hours ago, MrTrilby said:

Which wireless charger did you get to fit in the phone box?

Um, sorry I don't know just some cheap one off Amazon. There's quite a lot of space so I think any old charger would fit in, I have 3 and I think any of them would fit in there.

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pepper said:

Wasn't as cheap as I remembered but definitely works well. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KJL4XNY/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1

+1 for that one - I have one (on my desk, not in my car as mine was delivered before phonebox-gate). Not the cheapest, but reliable and cheaper than 'branded' ones.

• 2 months later...
On 15/11/2018 at 21:02, silver1011 said:

Contact these guys, they'll be able to source you one...

https://www.skoda-parts.com/catalog/kodiaq/spare-parts/electrical-equipment-289.html

I don't suppose anyone gave this a try, did they? I've seen retrofit upgrades for other VW/Skoda models that involved inserting a USB hub (VW part) between the head unit and existing USB socket, then feeding the additional socket from that.

You'd hope that the European module would be a straight swap for the UK one, though.

Mike

• Like 1